• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Horizon instruments digital Tach P1000

C130jake

BENEFACTOR
Four Corners Wyoming
Are these folks still in business? Our tach on the PA12 needs a new cable. We decided to get an electronic one. Monitors mags and is easy to read and will fit in the old tach 3 1/8 inch hole. One of the partners had one in his Stinson and liked it. Can’t get these folks to return phone calls or email.

http://www.horizoninstruments.com/home

Thanks,

Jake

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I have had one in the 180 since 1995 and love it. Trying to get in touch with them by phone and email a couple of weeks ago but nobody is responding. Funny how they have a functioning website and answering machine but......

I have had one in the 180 since 1995 and love it. Trying to get in touch with them by phone and email a couple of weeks ago but nobody is responding. Funny how they have a functioning website and answering machine but......

With COVID, who knows? Some of these small companies may be hanging by a thread.....or not.

MTV

Looks like they are located in an industrial park which is just east of Fullerton CA. Perhaps one of our members here could drive by and knock on their door? Is anyone here living in that neighborhood?

Fullerton is part of the LA metroplex.
Isn't the LA area on a pretty strict covid lockdown right now?
Maybe the Horizon folks are all hunkered down & "sheltering in place"?
My 70-year-old sister doesn't live too far from there, and that's what she's doing--
this covid thing has her scared to death.

Anybody know if the tach time is field re-settable and if so maybe have the instructions?
I believe only Horizon can do the deed. I had to send mine back to them when I changed engines which required a new max limit "red line". Then they wouldn't do it until The STC holder of my new engine called them with permission.

I believe only Horizon can do the deed. I had to send mine back to them when I changed engines which required a new max limit "red line". Then they wouldn't do it until The STC holder of my new engine called them with permission.
Thanks, I’m swapping like engines so hopefully this part will be easy.

Although I don't really like Hobbs meters,
I think if I was to go for an electronic tach, I'd install one.
A mechanical one.
I've had too many times when an electronic gizmo went blank or got amnesia.

I would set the tach time to airframe total time--
engine times get re-set to zero, airframes don't.

I would set the tach time to airframe total time--
engine times get re-set to zero, airframes don't.
Yup, Engines come and go over the life of an airplane. Once more than one engine is involved it gets confusing trying to figure the airframe's time if the tach is continually being changed for the engine.
Engines only get set to zero by the manufacturer.....I believe

MTV
Yes.

Last edited:
This is what FAR 1.0 says: "[FONT=&quot]Time in service,[/FONT] with respect to maintenance time records, means the time from the moment an aircraft leaves the surface of the earth until it touches it at the next point of landing."
[FONT=Open Sans, Arial, sans-serif]It would be interesting to learn where Horizon gets the idea that the "hour meter" on the tachometer is exclusively for the engine times. I don't believe there is an FAR describing an "hour meter" on a tachometer requirement. If over the lifetime of an airplane the engine is changed several times with the tachometer hour meter being set back to zero each time, it would take some extra record keeping to keep track of the several tachometer readings to track the airframe time. Particularly when the engine log book doesn't remain with the airframe.

A tach hour meter is generally a revolutions counter converted to hours at a certain rpm. I don't know how Horizon calculates hours.

Of course what one does with his airplane is his business. The only purpose for an hour meter is for the simplicity of tracking hours rather than making a logbook entry after each flight.
[/FONT]

I have one in my Husky A-1-A and have seen them for sale on the web site/ forum. I think they were standard equipment on them.

I have one in my Husky A-1-A and have seen them for sale on the web site/ forum. I think they were standard equipment on them.

They are still listed for sale but there are also complaints on several other forums about their being rigged for silent running for the last 6-10 months...

Last edited:
Engines only get set to zero by the manufacturer.....I believe

OK.....change my comment to "re-set to 0 SMOH".
I rarely see engine total time noted in logbook entries, generally it's just SMOH.
And it's not uncommon for airplanes to have factory-reman or factory new engines installed.
The first entry in the logbook for my 470 says it was
"rebuilt/zero-timed on 11/11/93 by Teledyne Continental Motors".
So maybe the entries should list engine time "since new"...
although every mechanic who's ever made a logbook entry writes down "SMOH" or "TSO".

Last edited:
So maybe the entries should list engine time "since new"...
although every mechanic who's ever made a logbook entry writes down "SMOH" or "TSO".

If you install a new engine, you are required to log that information. Remember that some AD's may be based on date of manufacture or time since new (TSN).

'Every mechanic . . . ' Go to the first page of the log book that came with the engine. If from the factory it will list the required info of the date it was assembled/tested and also a statement that it has X hours since new. If the engine came from an overhaul shop, they will list date of overhaul, X hours since overhaul and time since new. If you have an engine that has no previous logs to establish TSN, it may be established through other means such as aircraft logs or shop invoices, but, again, this must be logged. Some shops may not accept engines for overhaul with no documented TSN and some operations like Part 135 may have ops specs that bar them from using engines with no TSN.

Web

Back