• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fuel valve ID request

jrussl

BENEFACTOR
Madison, WI
Can anyone ID this fuel valve from my PA18?

I have the Cubcrafters headerless right/left/both system. I thought it might be a Cubcrafters valve but it does not look like the one they currently supply.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_4180.JPG
    IMG_4180.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 485
Thanks guys!

I took Mike's advice and am upgrading the valve. Dakota Cub has one coming my way.

Jeff

In addition to the scoring that is evident in the picture, mine also was cracked. Just a small “Wisconsin cold” kinda crack. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

In addition to the scoring that is evident in the picture, mine also was cracked. Just a small “Wisconsin cold” kinda crack. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

I'm originally from Wisconsin till I was 15..... it gets official cold there too...

I'm originally from Wisconsin till I was 15..... it gets official cold there too...

I remember that, Mike. Pardeeville area, if I remember correctly.

During the winter months, I often compare Anchorage temps to these here in Wisco. More often than not, we are colder. Obviously, points further inland in AK are another story.

Thanks for all your contributions here. Mike. I appreciate so much of what you share.

Jeff

I remember that, Mike. Pardeeville area, if I remember correctly.

During the winter months, I often compare Anchorage temps to these here in Wisco. More often than not, we are colder. Obviously, points further inland in AK are another story.

Thanks for all your contributions here. Mike. I appreciate so much of what you share.

Jeff

yup pardeeville... born in portage.... moved to portage for a year or so when 4? then to stevens point/ plover till 15 then to naknek AK(first few days of January 1984... 4th? 7th?).... when my mom lost everything..... 6 small boxes... all good, great change...

Can anyone ID this fuel valve from my PA18?

I have the Cubcrafters headerless right/left/both system. I thought it might be a Cubcrafters valve but it does not look like the one they currently supply.

attachment.php

That is an original equipment Piper fuel valve, not an STC, its an early version of the plastic plug valve shown in SL944. The early ones had the round cap, later version had the notched cap to fit a wrench on shown in the SL944. The Weatherhead p/n 6749 fuel valve sold at aircraft spruce https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/whfsv.php
is identical, but uses a plug made of delrin not plastic, that is lubricated by fuel and wont crack like the plastic plugs have in the past. The plugs are the same size.

That plug did not come from Piper drilled as a both valve, someone has modified it to a both valve.

MowZA4V.jpg

6749.jpg

Last edited:
What year is your Super Cub? It might be your original fuel valve, but it was a LEFT RIGHT OFF OFF valve from the factory, someone drilled that third hole in the plug to make it a BOTH valve.

Piper started using that valve around 1974. They stopped using the brass plug valve and went to this valve, used it until the mid '80s when the Allen valve came out.

My plane is a 1951 model. Started life as a L21A but it's been rebuilt a number of times so I suspect the valve is not original.

In 2001 the Cubcrafters Right/Left/Both headerless fuel system was installed. In their STC instructions they direct you to drill the valve. I suspect that is when it was modified.

Thanks a bunch for your info. I went ahead and purchased a Dakota Cub valve but this info will surely be helpful to others. Based on the number of threads on the subject, it seems that anyone with the old valve will come across this issue at some point.

Jeff

yup pardeeville... born in portage.... moved to portage for a year or so when 4? then to stevens point/ plover till 15 then to naknek AK(first few days of January 1984... 4th? 7th?).... when my mom lost everything..... 6 small boxes... all good, great change...

I spent a lot of time in Wisconsin a few years back, mainly in the Wausau / Mossinee area. I was talking with a pilot at the Mossinee airport one day and asked if he was from there. He said “oh no, I’m from Stevens Point”. If I remember that was one exit South! Great folks in Wisconsin from my experience....

My plane is a 1951 model. Started life as a L21A but it's been rebuilt a number of times so I suspect the valve is not original.

In 2001 the Cubcrafters Right/Left/Both headerless fuel system was installed. In their STC instructions they direct you to drill the valve. I suspect that is when it was modified.

Thanks a bunch for your info. I went ahead and purchased a Dakota Cub valve but this info will surely be helpful to others. Based on the number of threads on the subject, it seems that anyone with the old valve will come across this issue at some point.

Jeff

You may want to keep the old selector handle to use on the DC valve. That old valve can be rebuilt with the plug and orings from the Weatherhead 6749 valve its 29$ and made better than new, the problem with the Weatherhead valve is the long brass stem, its an inch longer, use a punch and pop the pin out and mount the delrin plug on your Piper stem and that valve will be trouble free for years.

Last edited:
Back