• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Exhaust Leak

39-J3

FRIEND
Maine
What is the best way to seal up the exhaust where the stacks make into the muffler? I am getting leak by on both sides that is leaving exhaust streaks down the side of my Cub.

Thanks in advance.
Larry.

Its on a PA11. The muffler and stacks I believe have about 750 hrs on them. I pulled the Muffler last year to inspect and weld up a small crack. it is leaking exhaust right at the stack / muffler flange connection. This is more just a newsnets thing that I would like to take care of. I am thinking high temp exhaust wrap at the connection??

PA11 Muffler.png

Larry.

Attachments

• PA11 Muffler.png
    PA11 Muffler.png
    340 KB · Views: 159
Look and make sure the exhaust pipe is seated into the muffler all the way. Looked at a J3 here on the field the other day that I could see the slits in the muffler so the pipe can slide over it. These should be covered up when the exhaust is fitted together properly. Have had to fix that on several Cubs over the years by repositioning the muffler evenly between the stacks and re-drilling the holes for the exhaust clamp pins.

If the pipe that slides into another is too small and loose or deformed> enlarge or at least make it round again it with a common exhaust pipe expander tool. They are available at most auto parts outlets. If there's still a gap try sealing it with high temp Permatex Ultra Copper RTV, or a wrap or two of stainless steel tape.

Attachments

• 63703_I.jpg
    63703_I.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 101
  • 692022_Ultra_Copper_Zoom__39992.1594161411.jpg
    692022_Ultra_Copper_Zoom__39992.1594161411.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 102
  • 1328722538_836272.jpg
    1328722538_836272.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 106
I had a similar problem when doing the muffler AD on my J-5 with the A-75. I needed a new muffler and the new one did not center between the stacks without the slits being "uncovered" due the stacks not going as far as they needed. The outfit that did the muffler said they run into this a lot-"old parts with new PMA parts". I ended up sending both stacks and the muffler back to them and for a really modest price they added length to each stack so it went further into the muffler. No leaks now.
It was a hassle at the time but in the long run no problems to date.
Cheers,
Dave

Its on a PA11. The muffler and stacks I believe have about 750 hrs on them. I pulled the Muffler last year to inspect and weld up a small crack. it is leaking exhaust right at the stack / muffler flange connection. This is more just a newsnets thing that I would like to take care of. I am thinking high temp exhaust wrap at the connection??

View attachment 53005

Larry.

That clamp is home made or wore out. A piper clamp should have the top of one ear bent over so if the ears contact it is at the end and the bolt then has leverage to tighten around the pipe. If the ears ever deform enough to make contact at the bolt holes it needs to be reworked or replaced. Call Dawley and get some new clamps.

Also if you need any rework on the exhaust, Dawley is where to send it.

Back