• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Rust Inhibitor suggestions for Wing Rib Rivets

ncourtright

Due to a ground loop last month I'm replacing Ribs 11, 12, 13 (last 3 outboard ribs) on the right wing. In the process we're decided to strip the wing down and recover. It is an original 1959 Super Cub wing and was last recovered in 1982. Everything looks good inside except for some surface rust on the wing rib rivets <see attached pictures>. The shop I'm working with has done soda blasting but only on individual ribs, not a full wing with the ribs installed. We've got some ideas but wanted to see what the community suggests:

1. Try Soda blasting ribs installed while trying not to damage the other components, then paint each one by hand.
2. Try a tiny wire wheel on a dremel tool then paint each one by hand.
3. Hand brush on a rust inhibitor (Ospho) then go back and paint each one.
4. Just leave it and cover the wing.

We're definitely open to any suggestions. Would love to hear from others who've tackled something like this. This was my Grandfathers plane and I'd like to do what I need to for the next generation.

Thanks - Nick

Attachments

• Resized_629233772.jpg
    Resized_629233772.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 153
  • Resized_629233799.jpg
    Resized_629233799.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 140
  • Resized_imagejpeg_0.jpg
    Resized_imagejpeg_0.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 136
  • 20201204_170509.jpg
    20201204_170509.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 147
I agree - don't blast those ribs. If you don't want to paint everything, just coat the rivets and surrounding aluminum with something. Or just leave them alone - the big deal is when the ribs sit in water - the aluminum turns into white powder and the rivets are still good.

I agree; don’t blast. Better to leave alone. You might consider just using a small brush and Rustoleum primer for rusty metal. There is a chemical reaction of some sort that will seal and bond the primer together. Probably won’t stick well to the aluminum.

I used it on a steel log moving fixture that made that Ive never had time to paint. It sits out in the weather and it still looks good 15 years later. You can get it in brush on or aerosol spray at Lowe’s.

I would not be afraid to put some type of rest treatment on them, but would want something that won't degrade the aluminum.

Short of that, I ignore it.

I have been around soda blasting and it is forever coming out years later which leads to corrosion issues later. I think you would fight it coming out of all those cracks and crevasses through the entire covering and painting process and further. A little Scotchbrite and some primer works.

I agree; don’t blast. Better to leave alone. You might consider just using a small brush and Rustoleum primer for rusty metal. There is a chemical reaction of some sort that will seal and bond the primer together. Probably won’t stick well to the aluminum.

I used it on a steel log moving fixture that made that Ive never had time to paint. It sits out in the weather and it still looks good 15 years later. You can get it in brush on or aerosol spray at Lowe’s.

The early rib material is not just aluminum, it is a wierd alloy called Nicral, which stands for Nickle, Chromium, Aluminum...the prewar Taylorcraft used the same material in their ribs.

The early rib material is not just aluminum, it is a wierd alloy called Nicral, which stands for Nickle, Chromium, Aluminum...the prewar Taylorcraft used the same material in their ribs.
The place you need to protect you won't get to anyway under rivet head leave it

Thank you all for your input. It was a close tie between doing nothing an a scuf-n-paint... I opted for the latter and think it worked out nicely. About 75% of the rivets had some rust while the others looked brand-new. Just took a light touch with a brass wheel and some Duraplate 235. Knocked it out in a few hours. Thanks again for the community support.

Back