• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

My Wadcutter Christmas

flagold

Abbeville, Alabama

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all of you from all of us - the Mattson family. A safe 2021 to you!

When teaching, it's gratifying when you are maintaining the students attention.

Web

That is very true. When I was learning to run up JT8's on 727's the WWII instructor (John "JT8" Miller) sitting in the co-pilot seat would slap my hands away from the controls if he even thought I was making a wrong move. That would get your attention too.

Cool! Oh, Johnny Marr called and would like some instruction on that Rick.

When I was transitioning from fixed wing to helo’s, I had a hard time pushing right pedal in a descending left turn. My instructor finally hit me - hard - on my right thigh, and said “now, push the one that hurts”.. Worked..

Its nice to see some people still believe in snubbies!
Looks like a pretty big bore...Charter Bulldog maybe?

snubby revolver book.jpg

Attachments

• snubby revolver book.jpg
    snubby revolver book.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 163
A big bullet makes a big hole.
For a 44 SPL at 2" or 3" velocities,
a wadcutter seems like an excellent choice.

A big bullet makes a big hole.
For a 44 SPL at 2" or 3" velocities,
a wadcutter seems like an excellent choice.

not only a big hole but its like a hand cannon in my opinion

Its nice to see some people still believe in snubbies!
Looks like a pretty big bore...Charter Bulldog maybe?

As much as I harp on capacity and the 9mm I'll admit I carry my .38 Ruger LCR more than any other gun. Something to be said for a little snubby wheelgun.

With how lackluster the velocity is on 38 our of a 2" barrel wadcutters are the way to go. Just not enough oomph to open up a hollow point.

I agree on all counts.
The gun you have on you is better than the one you don't--
A snubby or "mouse gun" is just handier for EDC.
I have 3 subcompact 9mm's & 4 chief specials,
but my EDC is a Ruger LCP.

The gun you have on you is better than the one you don't--

but my EDC is a Ruger LCP.

Amen from me, as well.

Favorite defense firearm of all time:

Some will laugh, but this is my personal favorite:

HR22.jpg

H&R 9 shot .22

Not for what it did or can do, but for what it didn’t do.

I related this story to SJ over a $100 burger at Ocala a number of years (2003 I think) ago and it’s worth repeating now that the “self defense” firearm discussion has evolved from that little movie.

I was coming back from my gold mining claims in Oregon after the summer season and was driving the Airstream RV I parked while out there intending to sell it when I arrived in Hernando Beach, Fl. I had lost alternator output at Perry, Fl but the stores were closed so I traveled on, hoping the battery would take me home. I thought I was going to make it, but about 1 1/2 hours out at Cross City about 10 pm I got a red light on the dash - voltage low - and it started missing terribly. I wheeled into the Save A Lot parking lot where there was also an auto parts store and decided to buy an alternator or a battery in the morning and continue on.

A very hot and humid night, I stripped down to shorts and t-shirt and turned in for sleep. At 3 am there was a loud knock on the door which I figured was the police officer that would probably tell me no parking and move on. I did what you should never do: flung the door wide open - and there it was - pointed right at my belly - the HR 9 shot .22 and the fellow holding it didn’t look particularly happy.

HR222.jpg

He said: “Mister, I’m sorry to get you up.” To which I replied: It’s OK I was just thinking of getting up anyway . . . and he said: “Look I’ve got this .22 here and I was wondering if you would like to buy it?”

Exactly what I was thinking.

“My wife’s sister’s cousin’s brother’s Uncle’s brother-in-law is in the hospital in Gainesville an I need $35 . . . and I was thinking you’d buy this.” “It shoots real good.”

Absolutely! I told him, I know they shoot good. I’ve wanted one of those all my life! I’m broke down here, don’t have a lot of cash, but here’s $50 I’m proud to have it . . . I came up with that cash so fast I don't even know where it came from - but whatever he needed, I was going to have it - I knew that.

He gave me the revolver and was gone just that fast. It is my favorite firearm of all, because it didn’t kill me. So don’t forget the most important defensive weapon you have: your mouth. May a civil, calm and respectful tongue get you out of more trouble than into it.

Attachments

• HR22.jpg
    HR22.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 143
  • HR222.jpg
    HR222.jpg
    604.2 KB · Views: 133
...With how lackluster the velocity is on 38 our of a 2" barrel wadcutters are the way to go. Just not enough oomph to open up a hollow point.

I go back & forth on that one...
I have two basic 38 snubby loads--
one is a soft (swaged) 148 gr lead wadcutter at about 850 fps,
the other is a soft (swaged) 158gr LWC-HP at about the same velocity.

Back