• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

CUB versus Grommets

Buzzcola777

Montreal, Canada
Folks,
I am now in the planning phase of the fabric covering of my project (Tooling / Glue etc.…) and I stumbled upon a little detail in the drawing from Piper Aircraft Corp. concerning the grommets.

I know that there were a lot of discussions concerning the installation of grommets. Seaplane versus flat grommets. Grommets versus making a hole with a soldering iron …But I have not seen discussions (unless I missed it) about location and number of grommets on the Cub.

When you look at the drawings (Thanks to Christian Sturm for his website and North Land drawings) Piper stipulates the numbers and location of grommets during the installation of the fabric. After a rough estimate, I come up to almost 100 grommets to be inserted into the fabric!!!

What do you guys do / did for your plane???

DRAWINGS:

1) Aileron View attachment Aileron Grommet.pdf
2) Flap View attachment Flap Grommet.pdf
3) Stabilizer View attachment Stabilizer Grommet.pdf
4) Elevator View attachment Elevator Grommet.pdf
5) Rudder View attachment Rudder Grommet.pdf
6) Wing View attachment Wing Grommet.pdf

Attachments

• Aileron Grommet.pdf
    300.6 KB · Views: 238
  • Flap Grommet.pdf
    230.8 KB · Views: 174
  • Stabilizer Grommet.pdf
    183.1 KB · Views: 178
  • Elevator Grommet.pdf
    206.4 KB · Views: 151
  • Rudder Grommet.pdf
    223.7 KB · Views: 153
  • Wing Grommet.pdf
    471.4 KB · Views: 198
Anywhere water will collect, with a tilt one way or other. And considering Landing gear/floats. Can never have to many.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

You can do what CubCrafters and the poly fiber manual says, melt the holes through two layers of fabric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can do what CubCrafters and the poly fiber manual says, melt the holes through two layers of fabric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once the holes are melt, may as well install the seaplane grommets. My cub will be on floats during summertime...

I usually use seaplane grommets on the fuselage belly, but regular grommets most everywhere else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You made me look. 15 grommets in each aileron. 12 per wing. Keller flaps so none there. 10 on the belly. 4 per stabilizer. 6 per elevator. 1 in the rudder. 85 total with metal flaps. I'd be over 100 with fabric covered flaps. All mine are seaplane type.

Mike's custom dollar patch cutter helps.

Attachments

• C08F9FE2-61B6-4A7F-88E7-A750F1BE43B2.jpeg
    C08F9FE2-61B6-4A7F-88E7-A750F1BE43B2.jpeg
    113.5 KB · Views: 155
  • A7D09EE7-EF2B-4864-B1F0-AC79493C9391.jpeg
    A7D09EE7-EF2B-4864-B1F0-AC79493C9391.jpeg
    207.1 KB · Views: 135
  • 7E070CE3-4795-464D-A388-A7F1B7C73739.jpeg
    7E070CE3-4795-464D-A388-A7F1B7C73739.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 137
  • 6936A60B-758D-40D2-BEAD-564DF6B8C316.jpeg
    6936A60B-758D-40D2-BEAD-564DF6B8C316.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 175
I carefully put lots of seaplane grommets in my 11 project, in the bottom of the fuselage, the wings, tail feathers......then I waited until a few months later to cover my ailerons.....got them painted and realized I FORGOT the grommets.....Crap. I guess they will be melted in and a grommet glued in place. I hate when I do dumb stuff like that. lol

Put them on covered landing gear, too.

And it is important to melt the holes in a way that doesn’t cause the fabric to form into a cone/ridge that would block the flow of water out of the hole.

Cutting patches and installing grommets is tedious, time-consuming labor, but not nearly as bad as installing closely spaced rib-stitching on the first half dozen ribs out from the wing root.

Put them on covered landing gear, too.

And it is important to melt the holes in a way that doesn’t cause the fabric to form into a cone/ridge that would block the flow of water out of the hole.

Cutting patches and installing grommets is tedious, time-consuming labor, but not nearly as bad as installing closely spaced rib-stitching on the first half dozen ribs out from the wing root.

Good point Paul.
I can't get over the fact that I have a minimum of 92 holes to punch into the fabric...

Good point Paul.
I can't get over the fact that I have a minimum of 92 holes to punch into the fabric...
Just don't cover the gear enough to close the bottom. The grommet only lets out water. If any sand or dirt gets in there it will retain moisture at the crotch of the V causing trouble. The grommet will be useless.

Back