• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Continental Oil Filter Adaptor AD Coming?

Recommend an AD to 'correct' incorrect installation of a gasket? Typical overkill. Maybe issue an AD preventing me from opening my tool box. That way they can insure that I would never perform incorrect maintenance procedures.

Web

I wonder why they didn’t just use 2 crush washers?

I used to have a similar filter adapter on my old C170.
It originally came with 2 crush washers,
but the way at the attach end of the adapter always leaked--
just couldn't get enough oomph on it to crush it properly, I guess.
They came out with a fiber washer that (we thought) fixed that problem.
But apparently it caused another.

None of the failures would have caused an instant complete oil loss. Oil pressure gauges should have indicated trouble. Both my planes have visual annunciators (fancy name for an idiot light) to indicate low oil pressure. Maybe the AD should require that? (Kidding)

We were coming back from Oshkosh years ago in our Pacer with Jason Gerard in his Taylorcraft. Ended up stopping at Bowie, TX cause his oil temp was getting high and pressure was fluctuating. Landed and he had oil all over the side of the airplane from an oil filter adapter that blew out the gasket.

There was an AD on big Continentals years ago where you had to torque and apply torque putty and reinspect periodically. I still have the cross foot. I think it was on an aftermarket unit.
PXL_20201208_183735097.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20201208_183548478.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20201208_183735097.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20201208_183735097.PORTRAIT.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 441
  • PXL_20201208_183548478.jpg
    PXL_20201208_183548478.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 446
Last edited:
.....There was an AD on big Continentals years ago where you had to torque and apply torque putty and reinspect periodically. I still have the cross foot. I think it was on an aftermarket unit.

That's actually a factory oil filter adapter.
AD 96-12-22

Seems like a better option than either of these "adapters" is to go with the later model oil pump housing
that has the oil filter fitting incorporated into it.
I believe 180Marty has this on his airplane.
But I don't think it's just a straight bolt-on show-
I believe the tach drive turns opposite from the earlier set-up,
plus maybe some other installation issues.
Maybe Marty can chime in?

Back