• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Two pack paint wings for corrosion proof before covering

Any ideas of painting my experimental wings before covering. Will this effect the adherence of the glue and fabric to my wings. I will occasionally be on salt or brackish water. Suggestions on paint products or just Aldodine an assembled wing is it worth painting or not.

Best to prep and 2 part prime at least leading and. Trailing edges... when I remember to.. to prevent corrosion

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

The fabric is stuck to itself like a closed sealed envelope. When it's shrunk it holds itself in place with the rib stitching stabilizing it against the ribs.
Corrosion proofing a wing against salt water use is best done when the wing is totally disassembled. Corrosion likes to form in the joints where the parts touch each other. So while priming as you are suggesting is a good idea, the places where the corrosion will hide and grow will not be protected.

The wings of a Cub usually will not be splashed by the salt water, any corrosion will come from the salt in the air which will penetrate and remain within the wing.

In addition to what you are suggesting, you should spray something like CorrosionX on all of the places where parts touch. This penetrates, displaces and protects against the moisture collecting. https://www.corrosionx.com/collections/aviation-and-milspec/products/corrosionx-aviation

Priming the leading edges as mike suggests is a good idea as it is not uncommon for corrosion to get established between the fabric and the skin as his picture shows.

I bead blasted, epoxy primed and top coated with catalyzed polyurethane all of my steel parts. I epoxy rimed all of my aluminum parts, leading edges, spars, ribs, compression struts etc. before assembly. I think it will last beyond my lifetime.

I made a mistake and got my airframe zinc coated and powder coated. However is just assumed the wings were all alodined that’s my first mistake Haha

Last edited:
I have seen destroyed Cub ribs, with corrosion from the inside out. My personal cub got a diluted zinc chromate treatment by immersion. I dipped each rib, let it drain, then assembled the wings, and finally shot the assembly with epoxy two-part paint - in 1975, when epoxy was ten bucks a gallon. They still look great.

I made a mistake and got my airframe zinc coated and powder coated. However is just assumed it was all alodined that’s my first mistake Haha

Alodine on steel?

My local powder coater phosphatizes steel prior to the prime and final color application. Phosphatizing is the process known as Parkerizing, a conversion coating process for steel. It seems to do the trick.

Sorry I didn’t write the post well to start. My airframe was zinc primed then powder coated. However my wings were not treated at all just bare aluminium. My mistake now wondering best way to corrosion proof.

Back