• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Whirlwind vs Sterna and Length (150hp Cub)

blwier

Hey guys, if there is a thread about this already I apologize and make sure and point me that direction.

I am wanting to know peoples experience with Whirlwind prop and a Sterna props on a 150 hp experimental cub. I have had a whirlwind prop for the last couple years on a Glastar and it has been awesome! It’s 78 inches long on a IO 360 and it seems to be a great all-around combination.

I'd love to buy another WW but I can get a Sterna for half the price so I have to make sure and considerate at that price point… The Sterna of people say that 78 inches is likely my best bet for a 150 hp motor. The people at whirlwind say 80" inches is likely my best bet. Any opinions or experiences? I like a good all around prop but 78" seems to be getting pretty small in this world of long props!

Thanks very much in advance!!

Ben

Hey Ben,

I had a 80" Whirlwind on my 160hp 0-320 Exp Cub. I was curious what an extra 2" would do and whirlwind sent me a new hub. I did pull tests with both the 80" and the 82". I saw about 10-15% increase in static thrust with the 82" so that is what I am running now. Its a cub, so I did not see any decrease in cruise speed by having the bigger prop.

Lycoming O-360 C4P. Was running a 86x36 Catto. I love it. Pulls like crazy, very well built, strong, can take some abuse.

Have not had the chance to try the Whirlwind, yet...

Since 5 months, I now run a 86.5" ground adjustable Sterna prop. I really like it. Been adjusted to go at 85mph@2450rpm. I could swear it can takeoff as short as the Catto, but cruise a little faster.

Yesterday I gave it 2 degrees more, it is now adjusted to go faster, 95mph @ 2450rpm. That is fast for a draggy Cub like mine. Lost some static rpm but that thing still makes my airplane airborne within 100 feet!

I need to play with it more.

IMG_3819.jpg

IMG_3853.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3819.jpg
    IMG_3819.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_3853.jpg
    IMG_3853.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 150
So u put your sterna on an 0 360. They are asking me what hub is on my 0 360. Supposed to be sae 2. But their diagram shows 7/16 bolts. What did u do pls. Thx

So u put your sterna on an 0 360. They are asking me what hub is on my 0 360. Supposed to be sae 2. But their diagram shows 7/16 bolts. What did u do pls. Thx
I've sent you an email 16 hours ago, check your junk mail folder.

I have also received my propeller with the wrong hub…
Sterna sent me another one for my O-360 C4P with 1/2 bolt hole.
I had to oversize the supplied spinner back-plate holes, easy fix.
Here is the hub for O-360 with 1/2 bolts:
2-SAE2B-SH-DI
20E-02A and 20E-02B
IMG_1032.jpg
IMG_1035.jpg

I had to buy some bolts:
From Saber:
1/2 x 6’’ 2X
1/2 x 2.5’’ 4X
with nord lock washer

IMG_1033.jpg

From Bel-Metric: