• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

uAvionix AV 30

mvivion

SPONSOR
Bozeman,MT
Installed one recently. A really, really light and very functional tool. If I were building a “light” airplane, or looking for a “get out of a nasty weather” solution, this would be high on the list:

19AA8A0C-66F5-474B-A611-23BBE44D1109.jpeg

MTV

Attachments

• 19AA8A0C-66F5-474B-A611-23BBE44D1109.jpeg
    19AA8A0C-66F5-474B-A611-23BBE44D1109.jpeg
    191.5 KB · Views: 640
Installed one recently. A really, really light and very functional tool. If I were building a “light” airplane, or looking for a “get out of a nasty weather” solution, this would be high on the list:

View attachment 52822

MTV

I've been looking at that as well as the Dynon D3 for a simple add-on. The AV 30 looks more than capable. I understand if you combine it with a TailbeaconX you have a controllable transponder through it too.

I installed a (non-certified) G5 a couple years ago.
About $1500 for the unit, install kit, and backup battery.
In hindsight, I kinda wish I'd just gone with a Dynon D1.
Cheaper, "portable" so no paperwork, etc.
Their newest version, the D3, even has synthetic vision,
and only costs about 900 bucks.
That's what I just suggested to a friend of mine,
perfect as a backup for VFR flight.

FWIW a friend of mine installed an AV20 in his Cherokee.
He's a new IFR pilot & wanted something as a backup to his vacuum gyros.
They're about $900, roughly half the price of the AV30,
and about the same price as a D3.

I believe the minimum speed is pretty high for cub standards. (edit: 40 knots is spec'd, so right on the edge I guess. much below that and I'm not really looking at airspeed anymore. G5 starts at 30 knots)

Last edited:

very much less than impressed with the D3 synthetic vision. Perhaps unfair comparing it with FF but I would guess maybe 10 or 15% as much detail?

I've had one in my panel since April. It's pretty dang cool. I'm not totally sold on the AOA function yet, but I like it overall. It replaced an electric turn coordinator and provides a lot more information in that tiny hole. I hope I never need it.

That's the one with AOA, G meter, etc, isn't it? How are those functions?
Yes, they have a whole host of functions available. I didn't read the fine print till install, so a couple of the functions I wasn't aware of, but which would be useful (density altitude, for one) require a different type of temperature sensor than I have installed. I'll purchase the temp sensor they recommend, and get it installed at some point.

But, there is a G meter, AOA (I didn't have it initialized), bus voltage, indicated airspeed, ground speed (if you connect to a GPS), altitude, OAT (with proper sensor), slip/skid ball, and probably a couple I missed. You can also switch to DG mode with a push of a button.
So far, everything I've seen works really slick. The airspeed related stuff all comes from a connection to your pitot static system, so errors in that system are going to show up in these as well.

A two inch device is pretty small, and I sure wouldn't want to try to slog out of something ugly on one of those.

But, as I noted, in a Cub or ?? small VFR airplane, one of these could do a lot of jobs (could replace the turn coordinator, VSI easily, or provide that information in one small package, and weighs hardly anything.

I think the density altitude widget will be really useful in this country. Save carrying around a laminated chart.

I'm a fan,
MTV

If you honestly think that synthetic vision on one of these small instruments is going to save your bacon.....you're fooling yourself. That falls into the category of "gadget".

Of course, all of this stuff does at some level. That said, I've done needle, ball and airspeed to get out of where I shouldn't have been. Would have LOVED to have one of these that day.

MTV

I have done quite a bit of study on these units and they are quite impressive. I will have one in my airplane. They are very light and provide a whole host of tools. In my case it will also be the transponder controller and the encoder. that alone pays for itself in my opinion.

I like that a lot. I wish it would have been available when we put the 48” flatscreen in our Rans.

very much less than impressed with the D3 synthetic vision
Agree. I have a D3, and in my opinion the synthetic vision is useless. Also, the pitch attitude seems to drift. I liked my D1 better.

This one instrument can replace my ASI, VSI, altimeter and electric turn coordinator? And has artificial horizon and buss voltage? Sounds like a great idea to keep a cub light.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

I've had one in my panel since April. It's pretty dang cool. I'm not totally sold on the AOA function yet, but I like it overall. It replaced an electric turn coordinator and provides a lot more information in that tiny hole. I hope I never need it.

Have you got the 30 or the 20?

The AOA doesn't use pitot, right? I don't get how it works. Like I know how differential pressure AOA works! Cool little instrument, for sure.

Steve, I've got the AV30.

Stewart, yes, it does use the pitot/static. Here's their answer to your question:

How is “Probeless” Angle of Attack Determined?

Angle of attack is determined by comparing aircraft pitch to the actual flight path angle through the air. This is equivalent to the angle at which the wing is intercepting the body of air surrounding the aircraft – exactly the same as a probe based AoA system. Pitch is determined by a precision internal AHRS, and flight path angle is determined by a precision ADC (airspeed and vertical speed). The resulting angle is then augmented with G-Load, as determined by internal acceleration sensors.

For example, during a climb, if the pitch angle is 10 degrees up, and the aircraft’s flight path through the air (forward airspeed and vertical speed) is also 10 degrees up, the equivalent AoA is 0 Degrees. However, if the flight path angle through the air is only 7 degrees, then the equivalent AoA is positive 3 degrees as the wing is no longer able to maintain full lift.
Therefore, no dedicated AoA probe is required – only internal inertial and pressure sensors (8 in total). Connection to the aircraft’s pitot static system is required.
Reference Sperry Patent #3,948,096 for additional implementation details.

I had trouble getting the AoA settings dialed in at first and gave up on it. A few months ago I twisted some knobs again and got it pretty close. At least now it's only alerting when it's pretty close to stall. A healthy slip will give it fits - not sure if that's unique to this implementation, or all AoA instruments. I don't find it very useful at this point. Might start paying attention to it again and see if my opinion changes.

Their first pass at an installation manual and pilot's handbook was absolute garbage. Looks like it's been improved since I installed mine.

Nice to see positive feedback since I am installing 2 into my panel. Decided to do away with vac system all together and use these. I did buy their rec temp sensors for both units so excited to see the final install.

Also putting in a Trig ADS-B bundle with compact transponder and radio

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Been looking at these. Is the AV30 certified version a stand alone instrument that can replace required instruments? If so, I'm sold. Need to do more homework. Lot of info in a small circle.

Anyone have any direct experience and wish to comment on uAvionx reliability/quality issues?
I have heard that some people were having trouble with the ADS-B beacons, so this is something I'd want to look into.
I normally would lean towards Garmin, but this thing appears much more capable. Right now, I'm about 50/50 between the two, mainly because the Garmin stuff is normally solid as a rock (or so it is in my limited experience).

I know, I know - it's very difficult to find any OPINIONS around here, but a guy can dream, right?

No reliability complaints from me on the AV30. It powers on and does what it’s supposed to do. Keep in mind this was developed by Aerovonics before uAvionix acquired them. I’ve got nothing against uAvionix though. No experience with the tail beacon integration as I don’t have one of those.

I may consider installing this in my Exp 11 in the hole I made for the Altimeter....can you run this and a normal ASI both plumed to the pitot/static? How? Is this thing a good replacement for an Altimeter in a VFR Cub? seems to be

Anyone have any direct experience and wish to comment on uAvionx reliability/quality issues?
I have heard that some people were having trouble with the ADS-B beacons, so this is something I'd want to look into.
I normally would lean towards Garmin, but this thing appears much more capable. Right now, I'm about 50/50 between the two, mainly because the Garmin stuff is normally solid as a rock (or so it is in my limited experience).

I know, I know - it's very difficult to find any OPINIONS around here, but a guy can dream, right?

I was an early adopter of the uAvionix SkyBeacon ADS-B unit. I did so to take advantage of the FAA $500 rebate. My SkyBeacon did record errors. FAA got in touch, told me it was sending errors. I contacted uAvionix, who offered a couple of suggested “fixes” and things to try. Tried those, but still transmitted errors.

Based on info from a couple other early adopters, I called uAvionix and stated that I wanted them to replace my unit. Four days later, I had a new unit in hand, which has operated flawlessly since.

In retrospect, I’d have preferred the Tailbeacon, but not for operational reasons....it wasn’t available while the rebate was on.

uAvionix is a small, Montana based company, and so far, they have met or exceeded all my expectations. They even gave me a discount on the second AV 30 without asking.

So far I only have 6 hours on these AV 30s, but I am very impressed by their functionality. I have ordered the recommended temperature sensor, and wil install. I firmly believe that having density altitude staring you in the face prior to takeoff could save lives.....a great idea, at least from the perspective of the mountain west.

MTV

Back