• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

uAvionix AV 30

If you honestly think that synthetic vision on one of these small instruments is going to save your bacon.....you're fooling yourself. That falls into the category of "gadget". Of course, all of this stuff does at some level. That said, I've done needle, ball and airspeed to get out of where I shouldn't have been. Would have LOVED to have one of these that day.

Actually, thinking that ANY artificial horizon is gonna save your bacon is fooling yourself,
if you aren't current in flying on the gauges.
I found that out after my second flight review, 4 years after I'd gotten my private ticket--
which was the last time I'd flown under the hood.
I didn't remember it being so hard to keep the wings level, in level flight, and fly a heading--
all at the same time!!
I keep meaning to round up a safety pilot & a hood & knock the rust off of flying on my G5,
but I never seem to actually get around to it.

As far as gadgets goes...
I think most of these gizmos have way too many functions,
IMHO an attitude indicator, directional indicator, & turn ball is plenty--
I don't particularly need or want an AOA, g-meter, density altitude calculator, etc etc etc.
But I think because all they need to do is program more stuff onto the chip inside of them,
and maybe add another sensor, they just go ahead & put everything but the kitchen sink into them.

Here you are....
iu

Actually, thinking that ANY artificial horizon is gonna save your bacon is fooling yourself,
I found that out after my second flight review, 4 years after I'd gotten my private ticket--
I didn't remember it being so hard to keep the wings level, in level flight, and fly a heading--
all at the same time!!
I keep meaning to round up a safety pilot & a hood & knock the rust off of flying on my G5,

I don't particularly need or want an AOA, g-meter, density altitude calculator, etc etc etc.
But I think because all they need to do is program more stuff onto the chip inside of them,
and maybe add another sensor, they just go ahead & put everything but the kitchen sink into them.
I agree with your "fooling yourself" comment, 100%.

One of the great things about most of these "gizmos" (and their myriad of functions) is that you can disable everything you don't want to see. You can start off dirt-simple, and add the features back as you decide you want to use them. For those that have the "bandwidth" to handle it all, it's a great feature to have it all in one inexpensive gauge. For those of us who may want to take it a bit slower, we can do so pretty easily. It's much more expensive to do that with steam gauges...

all at the same time!!

Yep, a lot of folks have gotten into a world of hurt painting themselves into a weather situation where some basic instrument skills are required. I've descended through a 2000 foot cloud layer on needle, ball and airspeed, to a ceiling of 1100 feet and two miles visibility underneath. I wasn't instrument current at the time. Right after that, I insisted that we install an attitude gyro in that Husky. If you think it's hard keeping an airplane upright using an AH in the clag when you're not instrument current, try doing so with a Turn Coordinator and airspeed.

And, yes, there are a lot of functions on these things.....BUT, with a couple of button pushes by the pilot, any or all of those "auxiliary" functions goes away, and you now have a VERY light, very reliable artificial horizon.

I think the density altitude function on these things is a great idea. We see a LOT of "flatlanders" come to the mountains and have a very bad experience with density altitude. I very much respect density altitude, living in country at ~ 4500 feet and with summer temperatures in the high eighties and low nineties.

But, that's not the reason I purchased the uAvionix AV 30....I purchased it primarily as an artificial horizon. But, I'll take some of those added features gladly.

Your mileage may vary.

MTV

.....And, yes, there are a lot of functions on these things.....BUT, with a couple of button pushes by the pilot, any or all of those "auxiliary" functions goes away, and you now have a VERY light, very reliable artificial horizon. ....

I agree.
I didn't bother hooking up the pitot / static lines to my G5,
and disabled the airspeed & altimeter ribbons that go up either side of the display.
Didn't need them, as my airspeed & altimeter are right next to the G5 already,
plus I wanted to un-busy the display.
I rarely toggle over to the (so called) HSI page,
I just leave it on the attitude indicatpr page.
It has a turn ball at the bottom, & a directional ribbon across the top,
along with a handy, easily-set heading bug.

I'm getting one of these AV 30s for sure....but which steam gauge should I toss in favor of this?....or do I get 2 and toss my AS and Alt?....only other 3 1/8" hole I have is the Tach...so what are everyone's thoughts....It says this is a primary instrument and I'm experimental, so I can get the E model for around $1600. If I toss my Ipad panel mount I could mount a couple there I guess....I Value many of your opinions....so...lay it on me.

panelCarbonfiber.jpg

Attachments

• panelCarbonfiber.jpg
    panelCarbonfiber.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 319
I'm getting one of these AV 30s for sure....but which steam gauge should I toss in favor of this?....or do I get 2 and toss my AS and Alt?....only other 3 1/8" hole I have is the Tach...so what are everyone's thoughts....It says this is a primary instrument and I'm experimental, so I can get the E model for around $1600. If I toss my Ipad panel mount I could mount a couple there I guess....I Value many of your opinions....so...lay it on me.

View attachment 53490

The AV-30 only replaces the attitude indicator and heading indicator as the primary. I don’t think it’s approved as a replacement for airspeed or altimeter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As dgapilot stated it can replace an Attitude indicator and a DG. (Can’t replace an HSI)

Airspeed and altimeter must remain.

Due to its looks it seems there are some popular misconceptions on what it can do legally.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

This manual lists airspeed and altitude as secondary functions. If you are experimental, you're not bound by certified requirements. You can legally use this instrument for all those listed 'secondary functions'. Just make sure they're displayed in a reasonable manner that keeps you informed.

Web

This manual lists airspeed and altitude as secondary functions. If you are experimental, you're not bound by certified requirements. You can legally use this instrument for all those listed 'secondary functions'. Just make sure they're displayed in a reasonable manner that keeps you informed.

Web

Correct, you can't legally replace the required instruments in a certificated aircraft with the AV-30C except artificial horizon and DG. BUT, in a Cub with a bunch of other "stuff", such as VSI, Turn Coordinator you COULD remove those, and use those functions on the AV 30C.

I probably wouldn't replace the airspeed and altimeter with one of these on an Experimental aircraft either, even though legally you may be able to.

MTV

For certified aircraft, 91.205 identifies the required equipment. For a day VFR homebuilt, there is no instrument requirements. Only when you go for night or IFR on a homebuilt do the requirements of 91.205 kick in through the Operating Limits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For certified aircraft, 91.205 identifies the required equipment. For a day VFR homebuilt, there is no instrument requirements. Only when you go for night or IFR on a homebuilt do the requirements of 91.205 kick in through the Operating Limits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is my understanding that instruments for an experimental do not require TSO approval. Isn't that why so many experimentals are flying with nothing but a non-TSO'ed EFIS for instruments: Dynon Skyview, Garmin G3X, GRT, etc.

And since the guy asking this question specifically stated that he was installing the AV-30 in an experimental...

I have struggled with the EFIS Stuff a little...35+ years flying steam gauges and I can't wrap my head fully around not having the AS and Altimeter for sure. I flew a Nice 182 with G1000 last summer and it took me a bit to feel comfortable with the visual change....I'm really liking this AV-30 and I will find a spot for one at least....maybe my ipad mount can go to a strap on the leg or something like that....I may find that I only use my phone for Navigation (I use Wing X) because it's free for CFI's. I would have more than I ever need for bombing around in my little 11 with all that junk. lol

My cub has no static system. All the static ports on back of instrument are open.

Is that an issue with installing this unit? Recommend tying all the static orts together while I am at it?

Will I need to recertify pitot/static system after install?

had a local guy quote me 3-4 hours for install but want to make sure I’m not biting off more than i can chew. Does 3-4 hours seem reasonable? Just want to
make sure it doesn’t end up being a way larger project once we get into it.

Someone mentioned here that when paired with uvionix tailbeacon the tailbeacon becomes “controllable.” What does that mean?

What specific paragraph of 91.205 requires altimeter or airspeed to have been granted a TSO? A search of the PDF of 91.205 does not find "TSO". I find no reference that says the airspeed and altimeter need any sort of approval to meet 91.205. However, 91.205 does require approval for seat belts and lighting.

Someone mentioned here that when paired with uvionix tailbeacon the tailbeacon becomes “controllable.” What does that mean?

I think you are talking about the tailbeacon x. It has a transponder built in that you control with the AV 30.

But not yet ready for certified airplanes, last I checked.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

What specific paragraph of 91.205 requires altimeter or airspeed to have been granted a TSO? A search of the PDF of 91.205 does not find "TSO". I find no reference that says the airspeed and altimeter need any sort of approval to meet 91.205. However, 91.205 does require approval for seat belts and lighting.
There is nothing in 91 regarding the certification requirements. Remember, Part 91 is an operating rule. To understand the certification requirements, you need to go to the regulations in the certification basis for the airplane. In the case of a PA-18, that will be CAR 3 as amended Nov 1, 1949. The certification regulations will likewise not specify a TSO requirement (with the exception of skis, wheels, brakes, seat belts, light, and props) back then, there wasn’t such a thing as a TSO, our current TSO morphed out of Type Certificates issued for appliances under CAR 15. Recognize that the TC appliances or TSO of today is for parts that may be common across multiple aircraft models. It made no sense to recertify the same part on each and every model aircraft that part may be installed on, so the TC(TSO) system was developed to certify individual components to be used in a project to seek certification for an aircraft without having to show compliance for each of those items assuming the installation was within the limitations of those items. Using a non TSO item is acceptable providing you can show compliance to the regulation that requires that equipment. In the case of an airspeed indicator, you would need to show that the item being used meets the requirements of CAR 3.663, 3.664 & 3.665. The value of the TSO is that the unit in question has already shown that it can meet that when hooks to the airframe system as originally certified assuming the indicators range is appropriate to the aircraft it is being installed in, and is marked 3.757.

Will I need to recertify pitot/static system after install?

had a local guy quote me 3-4 hours for install but want to make sure I’m not biting off more than i can chew. Does 3-4 hours seem reasonable? Just want to
make sure it doesn’t end up being a way larger project once we get into it.

I’ve had two installed. The one you select as a “PFD” ie: it displays attitude, airspeed and altitude, has to be connected to the pitot/static sources. That’s really the only task that takes a bit. Otherwise, it’s just electrical connections, paperwork etc.

BTW, the current generation of these instruments have an onboard magnetometer.

MTV

There is nothing in 91 regarding the certification requirements. Remember, Part 91 is an operating rule. To understand the certification requirements, you need to go to the regulations in the certification basis for the airplane. In the case of a PA-18, that will be CAR 3 as amended Nov 1, 1949. The certification regulations will likewise not specify a TSO requirement (with the exception of skis, wheels, brakes, seat belts, light, and props) back then, there wasn’t such a thing as a TSO, our current TSO morphed out of Type Certificates issued for appliances under CAR 15. Recognize that the TC appliances or TSO of today is for parts that may be common across multiple aircraft models. It made no sense to recertify the same part on each and every model aircraft that part may be installed on, so the TC(TSO) system was developed to certify individual components to be used in a project to seek certification for an aircraft without having to show compliance for each of those items assuming the installation was within the limitations of those items. Using a non TSO item is acceptable providing you can show compliance to the regulation that requires that equipment. In the case of an airspeed indicator, you would need to show that the item being used meets the requirements of CAR 3.663, 3.664 & 3.665. The value of the TSO is that the unit in question has already shown that it can meet that when hooks to the airframe system as originally certified assuming the indicators range is appropriate to the aircraft it is being installed in, and is marked 3.757.

I raised the question because there seemed to be a suggestion that night or IFR flight in an experimental would require TSO instruments. There is nothing in my operating limitations that makes that a requirement. The only requirement is to comply with 91.205 which has no TSO requirement.

I conclude that there is no requirement for TSO instruments for night or IFR in my EAB aircraft and that my G3X Touch with G5 backup meets the instrument requirements for night and IFR. If that's not true then I'm wasting my time and money fitting an IFR GPS.

There is no TSO requirement for a home built airplane. That said, I won’t issue a certificate if they don’t have TSO seat belts. Even for Standard Certificated airplanes (with some exceptions) there are no TSO requirements. My Piper airspeed, altimeter, tachometer, oil pressure/temperature instruments are not TSO instruments. They were certified as part of the airplane TC.

you are correct that night and instrument are the only things that kick 91.205 as a requirement on homebuilts, but you are also correct that nowhere in 91.205 does it specify a TSO requirement. 91.207 does require a TSO ELT, and 91.215 requires a TSO transponder. Funny how 91.225 only requires an ADSB that meets the performance requirements of the TSO, but not actual TSO. FAA has allowed homebuilts and Exhibition to get away with non test ADSB, but aircraft with standard certificates still need their ADSB to be TSO. It doesn’t make sense as we all fly in the same airspace, but show much of anything in our government that makes sense anymore!

Last edited:
There is nothing in 91 regarding the certification requirements. Remember, Part 91 is an operating rule. To understand the certification requirements, you need to go to the regulations in the certification basis for the airplane. ..... Using a non TSO item is acceptable providing you can show compliance to the regulation that requires that equipment. In the case of an airspeed indicator, you would need to show that the item being used meets the requirements of CAR 3.663, 3.664 & 3.665. The value of the TSO is that the unit in question has already shown that it can meet that when hooks to the airframe system as originally certified assuming the indicators range is appropriate to the aircraft it is being installed in, and is marked 3.757.

I raised the question because there seemed to be a suggestion that night or IFR flight in an experimental would require TSO instruments. There is nothing in my operating limitations that makes that a requirement. The only requirement is to comply with 91.205 which has no TSO requirement.

I conclude that there is no requirement for TSO instruments for night or IFR in my EAB aircraft and that my G3X Touch with G5 backup meets the instrument requirements for night and IFR. If that's not true then I'm wasting my time and money fitting an IFR GPS.
frequent flyer,
This is the airplane certification rule, CAM 3: https://dotlibrary.specialcollectio...4+(byhits+(field+DOCUMENT+(anyof+part+`03))))

You keep addressing pilot operating rules.

I assumed you were talking about a Super Cub. In either case Part 91 is not your source for what and how instruments are approved.

I think frequent flyer is referring to an Amateur Built airplane. No certification rules beyond Part 21 for that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back