Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: uAvionix AV 30

Post Thanks / Like

uAvionix AV 30

Installed one recently. A really, really light and very functional tool. If I were building a “light” airplane, or looking for a “get out of a nasty weather” solution, this would be high on the list:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19AA8A0C-66F5-474B-A611-23BBE44D1109.jpeg 
Views:	163 
Size:	191.5 KB 
ID:	52822

MTV
    Thanks wireweinie, Waldo M thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, in your opinion why choose the AV30 over G5?
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mvivion View Post
    Installed one recently. A really, really light and very functional tool. If I were building a “light” airplane, or looking for a “get out of a nasty weather” solution, this would be high on the list:

Name:	19AA8A0C-66F5-474B-A611-23BBE44D1109.jpeg 
Views:	163 
Size:	191.5 KB 
ID:	52822

MTV
    I've been looking at that as well as the Dynon D3 for a simple add-on. The AV 30 looks more than capable. I understand if you combine it with a TailbeaconX you have a controllable transponder through it too.

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed a (non-certified) G5 a couple years ago.
    About $1500 for the unit, install kit, and backup battery.
    In hindsight, I kinda wish I'd just gone with a Dynon D1.
    Cheaper, "portable" so no paperwork, etc.
    Their newest version, the D3, even has synthetic vision,
    and only costs about 900 bucks.
    That's what I just suggested to a friend of mine,
    perfect as a backup for VFR flight.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!
    Likes moneyburner liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW a friend of mine installed an AV20 in his Cherokee.
    He's a new IFR pilot & wanted something as a backup to his vacuum gyros.
    They're about $900, roughly half the price of the AV30,
    and about the same price as a D3.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Misch View Post
    Mike, in your opinion why choose the AV30 over G5?
    Fits in existing hole without modification. Not a huge deal, but if you have a mask on your panel....

MTV
    Likes WWhunter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I just recieved one for installation in a friends Super Cub. I think it is going to be perfect.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe the minimum speed is pretty high for cub standards. (edit: 40 knots is spec'd, so right on the edge I guess. much below that and I'm not really looking at airspeed anymore. G5 starts at 30 knots)
    Last edited by gahi; 12-07-2020 at 04:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's the one with AOA, G meter, etc, isn't it? How are those functions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod180 View Post
    very much less than impressed with the D3 synthetic vision. Perhaps unfair comparing it with FF but I would guess maybe 10 or 15% as much detail?

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had one in my panel since April. It's pretty dang cool. I'm not totally sold on the AOA function yet, but I like it overall. It replaced an electric turn coordinator and provides a lot more information in that tiny hole. I hope I never need it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    That's the one with AOA, G meter, etc, isn't it? How are those functions?
    Yes, they have a whole host of functions available. I didn't read the fine print till install, so a couple of the functions I wasn't aware of, but which would be useful (density altitude, for one) require a different type of temperature sensor than I have installed. I'll purchase the temp sensor they recommend, and get it installed at some point.

But, there is a G meter, AOA (I didn't have it initialized), bus voltage, indicated airspeed, ground speed (if you connect to a GPS), altitude, OAT (with proper sensor), slip/skid ball, and probably a couple I missed. You can also switch to DG mode with a push of a button.
    So far, everything I've seen works really slick. The airspeed related stuff all comes from a connection to your pitot static system, so errors in that system are going to show up in these as well.

A two inch device is pretty small, and I sure wouldn't want to try to slog out of something ugly on one of those.

But, as I noted, in a Cub or ?? small VFR airplane, one of these could do a lot of jobs (could replace the turn coordinator, VSI easily, or provide that information in one small package, and weighs hardly anything.

I think the density altitude widget will be really useful in this country. Save carrying around a laminated chart.

I'm a fan,
    MTV
    Thanks stewartb thanked for this post
    Likes jrussl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If you honestly think that synthetic vision on one of these small instruments is going to save your bacon.....you're fooling yourself. That falls into the category of "gadget".

Of course, all of this stuff does at some level. That said, I've done needle, ball and airspeed to get out of where I shouldn't have been. Would have LOVED to have one of these that day.

MTV
    Likes RVBottomly, hotrod180 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have done quite a bit of study on these units and they are quite impressive. I will have one in my airplane. They are very light and provide a whole host of tools. In my case it will also be the transponder controller and the encoder. that alone pays for itself in my opinion.
    Likes Just call me Al liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a great setup with the tailbeacon!

Post Thanks / Like
    I like that a lot. I wish it would have been available when we put the 48” flatscreen in our Rans.

Post Thanks / Like
    very much less than impressed with the D3 synthetic vision
    Agree. I have a D3, and in my opinion the synthetic vision is useless. Also, the pitch attitude seems to drift. I liked my D1 better.
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)
    Likes RVBottomly liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

uAvionix AV 30

This one instrument can replace my ASI, VSI, altimeter and electric turn coordinator? And has artificial horizon and buss voltage? Sounds like a great idea to keep a cub light.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Misch View Post
    Agree. I have a D3, and in my opinion the synthetic vision is useless. Also, the pitch attitude seems to drift. I liked my D1 better.
    Thanks for the info. I had been vacillating between the D3 and the AV30. I think you and MIke V have tipped me toward the AV 30

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fancypants View Post
    I've had one in my panel since April. It's pretty dang cool. I'm not totally sold on the AOA function yet, but I like it overall. It replaced an electric turn coordinator and provides a lot more information in that tiny hole. I hope I never need it.
    Have you got the 30 or the 20?
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    The AOA doesn't use pitot, right? I don't get how it works. Like I know how differential pressure AOA works! Cool little instrument, for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, I've got the AV30.

Stewart, yes, it does use the pitot/static. Here's their answer to your question:

How is “Probeless” Angle of Attack Determined?

Angle of attack is determined by comparing aircraft pitch to the actual flight path angle through the air. This is equivalent to the angle at which the wing is intercepting the body of air surrounding the aircraft – exactly the same as a probe based AoA system. Pitch is determined by a precision internal AHRS, and flight path angle is determined by a precision ADC (airspeed and vertical speed). The resulting angle is then augmented with G-Load, as determined by internal acceleration sensors.

For example, during a climb, if the pitch angle is 10 degrees up, and the aircraft’s flight path through the air (forward airspeed and vertical speed) is also 10 degrees up, the equivalent AoA is 0 Degrees. However, if the flight path angle through the air is only 7 degrees, then the equivalent AoA is positive 3 degrees as the wing is no longer able to maintain full lift.
    Therefore, no dedicated AoA probe is required – only internal inertial and pressure sensors (8 in total). Connection to the aircraft’s pitot static system is required.
    Reference Sperry Patent #3,948,096 for additional implementation details.

I had trouble getting the AoA settings dialed in at first and gave up on it. A few months ago I twisted some knobs again and got it pretty close. At least now it's only alerting when it's pretty close to stall. A healthy slip will give it fits - not sure if that's unique to this implementation, or all AoA instruments. I don't find it very useful at this point. Might start paying attention to it again and see if my opinion changes.

Their first pass at an installation manual and pilot's handbook was absolute garbage. Looks like it's been improved since I installed mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice to see positive feedback since I am installing 2 into my panel. Decided to do away with vac system all together and use these. I did buy their rec temp sensors for both units so excited to see the final install.

Also putting in a Trig ADS-B bundle with compact transponder and radio

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Been looking at these. Is the AV30 certified version a stand alone instrument that can replace required instruments? If so, I'm sold. Need to do more homework. Lot of info in a small circle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by narrow deck View Post
    Been looking at these. Is the AV30 certified version a stand alone instrument that can replace required instruments? If so, I'm sold. Need to do more homework. Lot of info in a small circle.
    Approved model list for the STC: https://uavionix.com/downloads/AV-30...-%20Signed.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    But note:

"5. In installations where the primary attitude indicator is being replaced, the existing airspeed and altimeter must remain in their factory locations."

https://uavionix.com/downloads/AV-30...-%20Signed.pdf

In my case, I don't have a primary attitude indicator....
    Likes wireweinie, Bill.Brine liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone have any direct experience and wish to comment on uAvionx reliability/quality issues?
    I have heard that some people were having trouble with the ADS-B beacons, so this is something I'd want to look into.
    I normally would lean towards Garmin, but this thing appears much more capable. Right now, I'm about 50/50 between the two, mainly because the Garmin stuff is normally solid as a rock (or so it is in my limited experience).

I know, I know - it's very difficult to find any OPINIONS around here, but a guy can dream, right?
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Post Thanks / Like
    No reliability complaints from me on the AV30. It powers on and does what it’s supposed to do. Keep in mind this was developed by Aerovonics before uAvionix acquired them. I’ve got nothing against uAvionix though. No experience with the tail beacon integration as I don’t have one of those.

Post Thanks / Like
    I may consider installing this in my Exp 11 in the hole I made for the Altimeter....can you run this and a normal ASI both plumed to the pitot/static? How? Is this thing a good replacement for an Altimeter in a VFR Cub? seems to be

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by moneyburner View Post
    Anyone have any direct experience and wish to comment on uAvionx reliability/quality issues?
    I have heard that some people were having trouble with the ADS-B beacons, so this is something I'd want to look into.
    I normally would lean towards Garmin, but this thing appears much more capable. Right now, I'm about 50/50 between the two, mainly because the Garmin stuff is normally solid as a rock (or so it is in my limited experience).

I know, I know - it's very difficult to find any OPINIONS around here, but a guy can dream, right?
    I was an early adopter of the uAvionix SkyBeacon ADS-B unit. I did so to take advantage of the FAA $500 rebate. My SkyBeacon did record errors. FAA got in touch, told me it was sending errors. I contacted uAvionix, who offered a couple of suggested “fixes” and things to try. Tried those, but still transmitted errors.

Based on info from a couple other early adopters, I called uAvionix and stated that I wanted them to replace my unit. Four days later, I had a new unit in hand, which has operated flawlessly since.

In retrospect, I’d have preferred the Tailbeacon, but not for operational reasons....it wasn’t available while the rebate was on.

uAvionix is a small, Montana based company, and so far, they have met or exceeded all my expectations. They even gave me a discount on the second AV 30 without asking.

So far I only have 6 hours on these AV 30s, but I am very impressed by their functionality. I have ordered the recommended temperature sensor, and wil install. I firmly believe that having density altitude staring you in the face prior to takeoff could save lives.....a great idea, at least from the perspective of the mountain west.

MTV
    Thanks moneyburner thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If you honestly think that synthetic vision on one of these small instruments is going to save your bacon.....you're fooling yourself. That falls into the category of "gadget". Of course, all of this stuff does at some level. That said, I've done needle, ball and airspeed to get out of where I shouldn't have been. Would have LOVED to have one of these that day.
    Actually, thinking that ANY artificial horizon is gonna save your bacon is fooling yourself,
    if you aren't current in flying on the gauges.
    I found that out after my second flight review, 4 years after I'd gotten my private ticket--
    which was the last time I'd flown under the hood.
    I didn't remember it being so hard to keep the wings level, in level flight, and fly a heading--
    all at the same time!!
    I keep meaning to round up a safety pilot & a hood & knock the rust off of flying on my G5,
    but I never seem to actually get around to it.

As far as gadgets goes...
    I think most of these gizmos have way too many functions,
    IMHO an attitude indicator, directional indicator, & turn ball is plenty--
    I don't particularly need or want an AOA, g-meter, density altitude calculator, etc etc etc.
    But I think because all they need to do is program more stuff onto the chip inside of them,
    and maybe add another sensor, they just go ahead & put everything but the kitchen sink into them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here you are....
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, thinking that ANY artificial horizon is gonna save your bacon is fooling yourself,
    I found that out after my second flight review, 4 years after I'd gotten my private ticket--
    I didn't remember it being so hard to keep the wings level, in level flight, and fly a heading--
    all at the same time!!
    I keep meaning to round up a safety pilot & a hood & knock the rust off of flying on my G5,

I don't particularly need or want an AOA, g-meter, density altitude calculator, etc etc etc.
    But I think because all they need to do is program more stuff onto the chip inside of them,
    and maybe add another sensor, they just go ahead & put everything but the kitchen sink into them.
    I agree with your "fooling yourself" comment, 100%.

One of the great things about most of these "gizmos" (and their myriad of functions) is that you can disable everything you don't want to see. You can start off dirt-simple, and add the features back as you decide you want to use them. For those that have the "bandwidth" to handle it all, it's a great feature to have it all in one inexpensive gauge. For those of us who may want to take it a bit slower, we can do so pretty easily. It's much more expensive to do that with steam gauges...
    Jim Parker
    2007 Rans S-6ES
    Thanks RVBottomly thanked for this post
    Likes wireweinie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    all at the same time!!

Yep, a lot of folks have gotten into a world of hurt painting themselves into a weather situation where some basic instrument skills are required. I've descended through a 2000 foot cloud layer on needle, ball and airspeed, to a ceiling of 1100 feet and two miles visibility underneath. I wasn't instrument current at the time. Right after that, I insisted that we install an attitude gyro in that Husky. If you think it's hard keeping an airplane upright using an AH in the clag when you're not instrument current, try doing so with a Turn Coordinator and airspeed.

And, yes, there are a lot of functions on these things.....BUT, with a couple of button pushes by the pilot, any or all of those "auxiliary" functions goes away, and you now have a VERY light, very reliable artificial horizon.

I think the density altitude function on these things is a great idea. We see a LOT of "flatlanders" come to the mountains and have a very bad experience with density altitude. I very much respect density altitude, living in country at ~ 4500 feet and with summer temperatures in the high eighties and low nineties.

But, that's not the reason I purchased the uAvionix AV 30....I purchased it primarily as an artificial horizon. But, I'll take some of those added features gladly.

Your mileage may vary.

MTV
    Likes DENNY, moneyburner liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    .....And, yes, there are a lot of functions on these things.....BUT, with a couple of button pushes by the pilot, any or all of those "auxiliary" functions goes away, and you now have a VERY light, very reliable artificial horizon. ....
    I agree.
    I didn't bother hooking up the pitot / static lines to my G5,
    and disabled the airspeed & altimeter ribbons that go up either side of the display.
    Didn't need them, as my airspeed & altimeter are right next to the G5 already,
    plus I wanted to un-busy the display.
    I rarely toggle over to the (so called) HSI page,
    I just leave it on the attitude indicatpr page.
    It has a turn ball at the bottom, & a directional ribbon across the top,
    along with a handy, easily-set heading bug.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm getting one of these AV 30s for sure....but which steam gauge should I toss in favor of this?....or do I get 2 and toss my AS and Alt?....only other 3 1/8" hole I have is the Tach...so what are everyone's thoughts....It says this is a primary instrument and I'm experimental, so I can get the E model for around $1600. If I toss my Ipad panel mount I could mount a couple there I guess....I Value many of your opinions....so...lay it on me.

Name:	panelCarbonfiber.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	53490

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gervae View Post
    I'm getting one of these AV 30s for sure....but which steam gauge should I toss in favor of this?....or do I get 2 and toss my AS and Alt?....only other 3 1/8" hole I have is the Tach...so what are everyone's thoughts....It says this is a primary instrument and I'm experimental, so I can get the E model for around $1600. If I toss my Ipad panel mount I could mount a couple there I guess....I Value many of your opinions....so...lay it on me.

Name:	panelCarbonfiber.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	53490
    The AV-30 only replaces the attitude indicator and heading indicator as the primary. I don’t think it’s approved as a replacement for airspeed or altimeter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks Dan Gervae thanked for this post
    Likes Farmboy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    As dgapilot stated it can replace an Attitude indicator and a DG. (Can’t replace an HSI)

Airspeed and altimeter must remain.

Due to its looks it seems there are some popular misconceptions on what it can do legally.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org
    Thanks Dan Gervae thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    https://uavionix.com/downloads/AV-30...-%20Signed.pdf

This sums it up. Thanks...I'll find another way...I was thinking in terms of the other EFIS devices out there that make an all glass panel.....This is not really that I guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    This manual lists airspeed and altitude as secondary functions. If you are experimental, you're not bound by certified requirements. You can legally use this instrument for all those listed 'secondary functions'. Just make sure they're displayed in a reasonable manner that keeps you informed.

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.
    Thanks JimParker256 thanked for this post
    Likes RVBottomly, JimParker256 liked this post