• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Generator wiring?

supercub1999

I understand alternator field wire connections, very clear, bus voltage goes into the vr and out comes a field corrected signal to the F terminal on the alternator, easy. Now I am trying to understand the old generator field signal, diagram attatched. Generator has two terminals, A and F. F is wired to master switch, easy so far, self generated field signal turned on and off with master, we select master ON, boom field on its way to VR, VR does its thing and now this is where I am confused, does the VR send its adjusted field signal backwards through the master and back to the F terminal on generator? The VR has F, A, and B connections, A connects to charging terminal of gen. B goes to the aircraft bus, and F we know is the input from the master. I dont see how the field can be ran backwards back to the F terminal, is that what it is doing?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20201206_222130.png
    20201206_222130.png
    225.8 KB · Views: 397
The voltage regulator on a generator system only controls the output on terminal B. It does this by sensing voltage and current and interrupting the field current at terminal F. The initial output of the generator is through self excitation from the magnetism of the field 'shoes'. Only when the voltage or current settings are exceeded does the regulator begin to interrupt the field current.

Web

Web, you sure are knowledgeable about a lot of stuff. Thank you for taking the time to share. Your guidance re my alternator definitely solved the issue. Thanks again.

Thank you. I always feel the need to help out just like all those guys helped me out in the past. Web

Have you also encountered this problem ? I've been trying to solve it for weeks when the same thing happened to me. Probably this model has such a sore.. my father recommended me an excellent service with electricians in my city and they said that they are very often approached with this problem, so there is something wrong. The guy above has excellent car design schemes, they are just awesome. Can I download them with your permission, they will be very useful to me, as I think that later I will have this problem again... I wonder if it can be eradicated at all, so that there are no problems with it

Here's the wiring diagram out of my 1957 C180 owner's manual.
One for the engine compartment stuff, one for everywhere else.
The generator armature terminal is wired direct to the regulator A terminal (wire 54),
while the generator field terminal is wired to the master switch (wire 55),
then from the master back to the regulator F terminal (wire 53).
The regulator B terminal is wired (wire 51) through a 35A circuit breaker to the buss,
and then back to the hot side of the starter solenoid (wire 63).
I kinda think electricity flows both ways through this last circuit?
But it doesn't really matter if I understand it, the electricity knows what to do if it's all wired correctly.

wiring diagram 1.jpg

wiring diagram 2.jpg

Attachments

• wiring diagram 1.jpg
    wiring diagram 1.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 157
  • wiring diagram 2.jpg
    wiring diagram 2.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 115
Back