• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wagaero wing rotator

redfin

FRIEND
Anyone use the Wagaero wing rotator on a Citabria wing?

If so, how did you attach the rear strut fitting to the hoop? I’m not sure how this works?

I have done them. I don't try to use the rear strut/spar fitting. I use a 3/4 steel angle with the ends bent over 90 degs and welded. Drill a hole in each end and attach to two of the aileron fittings. then weld a single upright onto the angle to go to the rotator. The rotator end will keep the angle on the wing from rotating. You will have to re-center the rig so that it will rotate freely and the wing will be closer to the rotator on that end. Will take an hour or so to fashion and isn't pretty but will work well. I have used mine many times on champ and citabria wings. Wish I could send a picture for you but haven't figured that out yet. I do better with aircraft than computers.

Haven't used ours on anything but a J3 wing. We bolted two square steel tubes between the ends, mounted wheels under the hoop, and fashioned really sturdy plywood Vee- shaped things to keep the hoop in the rollers. Really made spray painting much easier.

Thanks Bob, the Citabria has a different rear attach point compared to a J3, looking to see if anyone has worked out a system for the rear strut attach on a Citabria .....

I thought you had your answer. Obviously you need some kind of stabilized stub - I think that is why they were suggesting angle stock. I have a Decathlon, but with any luck at all its fabric will outlast me. Not so the Cub.

My point is - we needed stabilization way beyond what Wag provided. You do not want to drop a wing, or have that hoop go to some weird angle when it jumps off the rollers.

Back