• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

National STOL live

Great job by Jay Stanford. Just out there with a big paddle spanking them.

IMG_2501.JPG

If only the promoters could spell. :)

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers...

Attachments

• IMG_2501.JPG
    IMG_2501.JPG
    337.2 KB · Views: 345
I noticed numerous time the picture, the name, or the airplane type was wrong on the lower left corner. I'm sure it is a job to keep up with!

sj

I do not understand the class system, how is it that Jim Crane is same class as Steve Henry. Having written class rules for decades I know it is not easy to get the class breaks spot on but it can be done. It does not seem they even tried.

My hope Charlie is that as currently they don't have any class competitors for Steve Henry, they have to put him somewhere. In the future there may be an Unlimited Class for the trailered all-out race planes like Reno has. But right now we are simply appreciating what Steve and all the competitors bring to the table.

In my opinion before we add classes we need more sponsorships to bring the young gun local talents from all corners of the world to the larger events like this. Guys that work 5 days a week supporting their family and still do well at a regional stol event often can't afford to take the time away from work to attend. The Tom Fords & Bill Barkers (northeast guys) of the country. You know they are out there.

Where's the John Deere, Case, Kenworth, Peterbilt, Lawn-Boy, Kubota, New Holland, Scotts Turf, Cub Cadet sponsor money, just to name a few names that should love "grass-roots" televised events.

If that class is called light experimental, maybe it should the very light class to cater to the Highlanders and Kitfoxes and allow a weight/ power break between them and the Cubs. I would love to build a plane just for those events, not sure the organizers want studded tires though.
Even when Jim gets a 340 in his plane it just can not stop with the lighter planes.
I have built vehicles that when I run them on a track, very soon I have no one to run with. That is kind of what I see Jim is up against.
It could be that many Kitfox or Highlander owners do not want to play with Steve, but that is their attitude problem since most of them simply can not fly as well as he can, the class should be there since we have a growing market for very light and powerful planes.
A well built O-320 EX Cub can play with a milder O-360 plane, there should be a class for them all. I was watching planes not sticking their landings in the first 50', they simply are not contenders. But they are still in the class they belong. Pilot skill should be the difference between a trophy and just a smile.
Someday I will get out to play with my plane, I doubt I will have the skills to play like I used to, way back in my C-150 I repeatedly could get stopped in under 100' on pavement. It take a serious commitment to do that and I would lay a bet I may never be able to do that again.

And sponsorship, my experience that changes the game that keeps many from playing. If it is an amateur level event, keep it that way since you will find putting money in the game the event will become 5 Steve Henry level prepped planes trucked in there, no flown in planes with pilots who come there to smile.
These events are to build skill and smiles, the classes need to allow that.

I find it interesting that a few manufacturers participate in nearly all these deals, but so far, at least, the most consistent sponsor is Aviat.

MTV

It may not seem like it but running a STOL comp is a very labor intensive process. Every extra class added is another layer of issue/time. Getting planes to and from the line, parking, crowd control, and all the other crap that has to happen is a lot more effort then most understand. It would be easy to get 10 or more category's. But That is a lot of heats and some may have only one plane. Even then you will always find a plane that just don't fit (Pacer). The key is to go have fun, you might have a good day and then you get to smack talk for a year!
DENNY

Doug and the crew sure do a good job putting these on. As Denny said, it's not easy, especially with a professional live TV crew to handle and catch every mistake.

Everyone did a great job flying, I look forward to the next one!

Matt

Not sure what kinda true HP Steve's plane is creating in that Highlander but if acceleration ' out of the hole' is any indication it may be approaching 300!
His holeshot is amazing. But the fact he can land as short consistently has nothing to do with horsepower. One tough cookie to
beat.[emoji2955]

Sent from my moto e5 go using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Earle I’m sure he has the 300. If you’ve not seen it, there is video online of Steve taking off with brakes locked. With some headwind He literally slides only a few feet before liftoff.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Last edited:
My hope Charlie is that as currently they don't have any class competitors for Steve Henry, they have to put him somewhere. In the future there may be an Unlimited Class for the trailered all-out race planes like Reno has. But right now we are simply appreciating what Steve and all the competitors bring to the table.

In my opinion before we add classes we need more sponsorships to bring the young gun local talents from all corners of the world to the larger events like this. Guys that work 5 days a week supporting their family and still do well at a regional stol event often can't afford to take the time away from work to attend. The Tom Fords & Bill Barkers (northeast guys) of the country. You know they are out there.

Where's the John Deere, Case, Kenworth, Peterbilt, Lawn-Boy, Kubota, New Holland, Scotts Turf, Cub Cadet sponsor money, just to name a few names that should love "grass-roots" televised events.

Why yes Peter I would love to accept the green mountain/500AGL sponsorship for an all expenses paid trip to the stol events [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“Next up to the line is Tom Ford in his red and white, checkered tail Tide and Roman sponsored cub. Covering all of your washing detergent and erectile dysfunction needs.”

Doug called me last night. Seems everybody wants their own class to compete in. More participants, more sponsors more classes. Everybody wants to be a winner.

I find it interesting that a few manufacturers participate in nearly all these deals, but so far, at least, the most consistent sponsor is Aviat.

MTV

A one design class is needed.
Husky is the logical choice. They are already a sponsor. Their planes are certified with few STC available for larger engines or crazy stuff (except beta props) so it will be all pilot skill.
Weigh all planes to 1,850 LBs take off weight will make this a real world head to head competition based on pilot.
Downside is that in my experience Huskies are hard to land uber short due to weight. longer landings are not as showy for the crowds.

I am a fan of the National STOL Series and the High Sierra Fly-In.

There is no need for more categories/classes. IF you can’t win a trophy, go burn some gas and get better or get a plane that you think will be more competitive if it is that important to you.

Participation trophies have no meaning

I would like to see a certified LSA version for J3, Champ type. Would be a good way to get people started.

The happiest I saw a kid was at Texas STOL at Hondo when he and his Dad won in a Champ and he got up to accept the plaque.

I would like to see a certified LSA version for J3, Champ type. Would be a good way to get people started.

A couple years ago our local Cub Crafter sponsored a STOL event at Basin Harbor. A J3 kicked ars and won the event. And lets not forget Chris Nesin ( Mr 89 ) showing the boys where the bear poops in the buckwheat at New Holstien in his J3

Glenn

A one design class is needed.
Husky is the logical choice. They are already a sponsor. Their planes are certified with few STC available for larger engines or crazy stuff (except beta props) so it will be all pilot skill.
Weigh all planes to 1,850 LBs take off weight will make this a real world head to head competition based on pilot.
Downside is that in my experience Huskies are hard to land uber short due to weight. longer landings are not as showy for the crowds.

Maybe Aviat should just supply the plane. You show up and get in and fly.

First off I want to thank Doug Jackson and his crew for the great work and putting this on in Lakeland Florida. The TV production guys were very professional and it was cool to see what goes on behind the scenes to broadcast a show

The term herding cats takes on a whole new meeting can you take 50+ airplanes and pilots, all the TV guys in production crew, All the field officials, Lakeland And the FAA running around.

I don’t go to these STOL events thinking that I’m going to bring home any trophy It’s a great chance to catch up with everybody old friends and new . Everybody in these events are great although these national events have air of their own. these guys are real prosand it’s great to watch them fly.
I don’t take enough time to practice which is job 1 if you think you are going to win anything
Steve Henry told me he does 40 landings per week. I had 2 goals when I went to Lakeland

1. Make it qualifying on Friday to get to fly again on Saturday
2. If at all possible to avoid coming in behind a 17 year old girl

success on both goals. It was great to meet Jayden and her folks, great people and she can really fly!
my issue is with our “special”group up in the northeast. Douten Thomas and I will be in the nursing home in a few years, and mr Glenn will be sending word over from his nursing home about how you two hose heads were beaten by girls☺️☺️☺️

some random thoughts

Aviat has respond to Cubcrafters thrashing them in the market. The birds they had there were stunning, nice ships I agree with you Mike V, their continued support of National Stol has not gone unnoticed
well done Aviat

steve Henry plane is a game changer. Lots of stuff going on. Did you see him lower the
tail wheel before takeoff? He also bolted on some wing extensions Friday night.

I stopped and had a cold one with my neighbor last night. He came and watched in Lakeland and listened to me whine about my landings being too long. He looked at me and said he didn’t see a lot of bald heads and gray hair on the pilots. Do you think you have the same reflexes and sight and judgement as that 22 year old? Well played Jack����

I surely am blessed to have so many great folks in my life who wished me well. I thank you all for the messages and phone calls. It really means a lot
jim

Last edited:
Good show Jim! Kinda glad I'm to old to compete anymore. 25 yrs. ago I would have had to re-mortgage my house just so that I could build something to try to compete with these guys. LOL. Have to just settle for my loaded up 7 second fishing buggy.

I am really sorry I missed it. It is always fun to hang out, see what others are doing and just have fun. With time and money you could win them all but but the fun times and people are priceless. Can't wait to hear more at the next meeting on the minds on the Brazos River from Doug.

2. If at all possible to avoid coming in behind a 17 year old girl

jim

Come on now, no shame getting beat by a girl [emoji6]

Great to run into a few of the SC.org folks down in Florida, and no, we are not going to ask for a floatplane class [emoji12]

Back