• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

ABI Wheels

Mike Mustache

Wasilla, AK
I’m planning to put some 31in Alaska Bushwheels on in the spring and I’ve got a question about compatibility. Normally I would have asked this question on the FlyHusky site but......... anyway.

I stopped by Alaska Airframes this afternoon to talk about wheels and they asked about the type of brakes I have. Will the ABI wheels mount right up and be compatible with the brake caliper? I have a ‘99 A1A and I have no idea.
I’d like to mount the tires on new wheels so I can have the option to go back to 8.00 to use with skis in the winter.

Yes Mike I think they will. They did on my 2012 A1C. Get the 1.25 inch axle, 6 bolt wheel with discs. I got PN# ABI-40-60 wheels. Should fit your A1A.

Kurt

Yes, the ABI-40-60 wheels should fit

This is a situation in which you should be prepared with knowing what you already have on the plane to confirm compatibility since not all 6" wheels fit with all brakes. But, Husky's are pretty uniform in having Cleveland 30-60a brakes so the ABI-40-60 wheel should fit up with those.

I knew it was a 6" wheel, fairly confident it was 1.25 axle and Cleveland type brakes but when I was asked about metals and the compatibility of ABI wheels with Husky brakes and axles I got lost. So I ask you smart folks for help. Any changes made from my 1999 A1A to what you have and what Kurt has with his 2012 A1C?

Thanks by the way for the help. I really do appreciate it.

The metals/compatibility thing is kind of a weird question. They were probably asking for the brake model number so it can be confirmed that it will actually fit with the specific brake disc thickness and offset provided with the ABI wheels. Again, not all Cleveland (pattern) and by extension ABI wheels are compatible. There are a bunch of different brake disc thicknesses, offsets, and bearing sizes to contend with. Not to mention brake caliper mounting hole arrangement if you're looking at brakes.

No idea if there were any changes between your A1A and an A1C. That is a question best asked to Aviat.

If it's not worn off, I believe there should be a sticker on the brakes telling you which model they are.

It only takes me 45 min by myself to switch from 31s to 600x6 or back. Not that difficult.

Glenn

All Husky’s (A1, A1A, A1B , A1C) have the same Cleveland 40-60 wheels and brakes on 1 1/4” axles as standard equipment.
ABI’s are a direct replacement for these.

Last edited:
Back