• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

73 185 baggage door latch spring repair

Tom3holer

Cape Cod
Hi,
Went to close the baggage door on my plane the other day and it didn't sound right. Wouldn't latch and on investigation I see the spring is broken.
Removed the latch and now what to do.
Can you buy just the spring? It looks easy enough but will have to cut the pin and replace that.
So am grounded till I get it fixed as I don't think duct taping it closed is approved
So what is the best route in this case. Buy a used latch or repair this one?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Tom

Picture of your spring? I had a bunch(25) of strait springs at one time that were for baggage door I think. Think I still have a couple

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I went shopping at Wentworth in MN when mine went TFU and they had a couple of boxes of latches to sort through. They do know what a new one cost and base their price off of it.....but they have good stuff and great people there. As with most things on my Cessna every time I go to improve it I spend more time and money getting back to where it was before I broke it.

I went with a whole replacement latch over the spring as mine was pretty bent up and beat up.

Does it look like this? Go to Lowe's or a hardware store and buy a similar length spring. It's a very basic mechanism. And in the interim? Close the door manually and lock it closed. Go fly.

Attachments

• 2A41C4CF-DD21-4F2E-8564-374BE9ABF712.jpeg
    2A41C4CF-DD21-4F2E-8564-374BE9ABF712.jpeg
    143.2 KB · Views: 173
Thanks everyone,
The spring looks like the one you show stewartb. Thank you for the picture.

I tried locking the door but it would not keep the latch extended out enough to catch.

The setup you have should work. What did you use for the pin and did you hook it under the flange that bolts against the door frame?

Tom

Thanks everyone,
The spring looks like the one you show stewartb. Thank you for the picture.

I tried locking the door but it would not keep the latch extended out enough to catch.

The setup you have should work. What did you use for the pin and did you hook it under the flange that bolts against the door frame?

Tom

Aircraft Spruce and similar aircraft hardware suppliers sell clevis pins. So do a couple of local fastener stores local to me. As far as what I hooked the spring to? Can't recall. Whatever works.

I wound up buying a "Kit" from Ebay. As I needed to try and get it fixed by the weekend he offered to send it overnight mail.
It should arrive today or tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and help.

Be Safe

Back