• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Advice for a New A&P

Kinda interesting to read the comments from the A&P's on the board.
Yes, customers can be unreasonable...but so can mechanics.
The good thing is that either side can decide they're not a good match & just walk away.

There are so many parallels with what you folks describe and what I do professionally.

I remember how badly I felt when I had just completed my fellowship and had a patient request records to be sent to another physician. I work hard to go the extra mile in explaining things to patients, trying to be kind and gentle in delivering bad news...and I remember doing significant introspection. And now...many moons later...I recognize that I can't solve everyone's problems, that I can only do my best and that I treat my patients as I would want my family members treated. I still think it to be important to be introspective, especially now that my "give a **** (GAS)" level is exceedingly low. Throw into that mix the internet, which makes everyone an expert, and my GAS level goes even lower.

It is equally difficult for patients/clients to know how to assess a doc/mechanic. Not all docs are the same, not all mechanics are the same. How are our clients making that decision? Many use online reviews to help with the decision, a few rely on recommendations from their physician, many others use recommendations from their friends or coworkers. I like the latter, as usually birds of a feather flock together and if their friend had a good experience with my care it is likely that we enjoyed caring for them...and will enjoy these patients, too.

When I see someone for a second opinion, or I see that they have gone to more than one doc for their care for this problem I wait to see how my first interaction goes with them. Many times these people have gotten suboptimal care from others and I know we can do better. They are very frustrated, and I often can understand why. Occasionally the patient starts off bad mouthing the previous doc and I have to make a decision as to if there is good reason for this, or is this just an unhappy person. If I suspect the latter my GAS level helps me end things sooner than later. It is important, though, to know that prospective patients, and your prospective clients, are in a tough spot.

With mechanics, there isn't Yelp or other online resources available to prospective customers, and to make matters worse it is not often that the choices people have are limited at any specific airport. It may require us to fly out of our airport (where there is a suboptimal mechanic) to one many miles away to "get the job done right". The average aircraft owner isn't likely able to know what "done right" means.

I do think that for you guys and me life is too short to work with intolerable people. It is likely that if you have problems with a person it is likely that others have problems with that person and it is much easier for all involved to disengage. When it reaches that point for me and a patient I arrange for a free "Come to Jesus" talk, so I can "splain things" to the patient that I am unable to meet their expectations, and that they either adjust their expectations or they go to someone who can meet their needs. It may not be me, and I am OK with that now that I am an old doc.

...for what its worth.

Randy

Aircraft owners need mechanics, and mechanics need aircraft owners. Like hotrod said, either can walk away if it becomes intolerable. My mechfriend IA, when he was still working on others light aircraft, would always request the logbooks first. He would review them before he ever agreed to work on a new aircraft, then meet with the owner and discuss if and how the inspection would proceed. Like most things in life, communications and a clear understanding can help quite a bit..
Can’t we all just get along??

There are so many parallels with what you folks describe and what I do professionally.

I remember how badly I felt when I had just completed my fellowship and had a patient request records to be sent to another physician. I work hard to go the extra mile in explaining things to patients, trying to be kind and gentle in delivering bad news...and I remember doing significant introspection. And now...many moons later...I recognize that I can't solve everyone's problems, that I can only do my best and that I treat my patients as I would want my family members treated. I still think it to be important to be introspective, especially now that my "give a **** (GAS)" level is exceedingly low. Throw into that mix the internet, which makes everyone an expert, and my GAS level goes even lower.

It is equally difficult for patients/clients to know how to assess a doc/mechanic. Not all docs are the same, not all mechanics are the same. How are our clients making that decision? Many use online reviews to help with the decision, a few rely on recommendations from their physician, many others use recommendations from their friends or coworkers. I like the latter, as usually birds of a feather flock together and if their friend had a good experience with my care it is likely that we enjoyed caring for them...and will enjoy these patients, too.

When I see someone for a second opinion, or I see that they have gone to more than one doc for their care for this problem I wait to see how my first interaction goes with them. Many times these people have gotten suboptimal care from others and I know we can do better. They are very frustrated, and I often can understand why. Occasionally the patient starts off bad mouthing the previous doc and I have to make a decision as to if there is good reason for this, or is this just an unhappy person. If I suspect the latter my GAS level helps me end things sooner than later. It is important, though, to know that prospective patients, and your prospective clients, are in a tough spot.

With mechanics, there isn't Yelp or other online resources available to prospective customers, and to make matters worse it is not often that the choices people have are limited at any specific airport. It may require us to fly out of our airport (where there is a suboptimal mechanic) to one many miles away to "get the job done right". The average aircraft owner isn't likely able to know what "done right" means.

I do think that for you guys and me life is too short to work with intolerable people. It is likely that if you have problems with a person it is likely that others have problems with that person and it is much easier for all involved to disengage. When it reaches that point for me and a patient I arrange for a free "Come to Jesus" talk, so I can "splain things" to the patient that I am unable to meet their expectations, and that they either adjust their expectations or they go to someone who can meet their needs. It may not be me, and I am OK with that now that I am an old doc.

...for what its worth.

Randy
Dang Randy, I couldn't have said it better myself. So may parallels.

I have watched owners mechanic shop just like people doc shop. I have also watched people who are never satisfied and complain about everything including the price. The ones that I like and I have not gotten used to is someone who says "I trust you!"...which is weird compared to others who complain that having spare fuses and a compass card in the airplane is excessive and I am just trying to rip them off. I dont even like buying the parts, I want the owner to provide me the part so if it fails, not my fault if the installation is good. Ok, enough for today. Good luck, Tim

..Maybe do what Mike Scup does and lock the door!

I keep the door locked mostly so nobody sneaks up behind me and gives me a heart attack !!! plus I have a witch of a time keeping focused on the paying work... and don't like BS'ers coming around getting me distracted..... I can do that to myself without suggestions from others....

I usually just give my customers keys to my shop so they can stop by whenever and check progress without needing to match times.... I also have a few different keyed door knobs if that becomes a problem...

I’d be happy with a mechanic who is competent at more than greasing wheel bearings and safety wiring. It doesn’t inspire trust or confidence in a mechanic if he always has to call a more experienced mechanic to find out what to do. Unfortunately, as an aircraft owner, I’ve paid too much for incompetent mechanics’ mistakes.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I’d be happy with a mechanic who is competent at more than greasing wheel bearings and safety wiring. It doesn’t inspire trust or confidence in a mechanic if he always has to call a more experienced mechanic to find out what to do. Unfortunately, as an aircraft owner, I’ve paid too much for incompetent mechanics’ mistakes.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

You need to seek out local knowledge. ;)

Back