• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Long Term Storage Of un-installed Lycoming O-360

bubb2

Eagle River, AK
Any recommendations on the long term storage of an un-installed O-360? Can't run an uninstalled engine so the Lycoming SB isn't alot of help. I did use the Tannis engine protectant kit and used Phillips rust protectant oil. I heated the oil and filled the crankcase full then drained the oil and treated the cylinder walls. I installed desiccant plugs and desiccant packs in the intake throat, all openings plugged. The engine was horizontal when I did this so I could use the crankcase drain to drain the oil. The engine is currently vertical on an engine stand. I figured the inside oil coating will eventually drain off and am thinking it's time for another coating. I note a large set screw on the forward right side of the case but I can't find any reference to this set screw in my parts manual. I was wondering if this is just a drain and I could refill the case with oil and then drain it out via that set screw. That would eliminate the need to get the engine horizontal again to drain the oil. This engine will be in storage for at least another year.

Why drain the oil?

Lycoming sends new engines out with a few quarts of preservative oil in the crankcase. Cylinders and induction are filled with oil. I was surprised. Continental didn't do that.

If you store it for a year, take what you've already done, throw a one pound bag of desicant on the engine and bag the whole thing tightly. If you want a little extra, vacuum the air out of the bag and fill with nitrogen.

Web

Last edited:
Why drain the oil?

Lycoming sends new engines out with a few quarts of preservative oil in the crankcase. Cylinders and induction are filled with oil. I was surprised. Continental didn't do that.

I could fill the whole thing and leave it full. The oil will leak past the rings and fill the intake and exhaust. Would have to have oil proof seals on the exhaust and intake.

I could fill the whole thing and leave it full. The oil will leak past the rings and fill the intake and exhaust. Would have to have oil proof seals on the exhaust and intake.
Put it on it's back full of oil.
Be sure to keep it in a low humidity environment.

If I remember right the last factory new engine I got had plastic intake and exhaust covers with an o ring and there was a lot of oil in it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like already suggested, turn it upside down to keep cam submerged. Or so I've been told?

I probably have the accessory case, exhaust, and carb/servo cover plates if you’d like to use them.

Those Allen plugs in the front of the case are to plug the main oil galley down each crankcase half. I have a plate bolted to an automotive engine stand with an engine mount bolted to it. Fill cylinders with oil and use the o'ringed exhaust caps and seal the intake and rotate 180 degrees from time to time and store in a climate controlled environment. You can also shrink wrap with desiccant in the shrink wrap or large plastic bag.

Another idea is to connect an oil pressure gauge, remove a plug from each cylinder, and energize the starter to pre-oil with oil pressure.

Keep an eye on the relative humidity in the engine and in the storage area. My hangar has fluctuated from high 20% to low 40% relative humidity in the last week as the weather changes came and went. It makes me happy that the RH inside my engines has remained under 10%. Corrosion potential at 10% RH is insignificant. Maintaining the preservative oil becomes less important.

Edit- a pic from right now, noon 11/29/2020. Hangar temp approx 60°. RH in the hangar is 42%, inside my 0-520 with my dehydrator running on very low output it's <10%. Corrosion is pretty much in check but I do have Phillips Anti Rust in there, too.

Attachments

• E64393D9-E6AC-4005-BE01-40E575A93C12.jpg
    E64393D9-E6AC-4005-BE01-40E575A93C12.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Back