• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

ADS-B Anonymity

Looks like big brother will still know who you are but your hunting buddy won't. What is the purpose if your still being tracked and they know exactly who you are still? That's kind of like calling the cops and giving them your alias before your rob the bank isn't it?

Yes, for 4 years. N number does not show up on any second or third party harvesting the data. FAA has access. I’ve checked it multiple times, works as advertised. You know the N number so you could try to find it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not concerned about the FAA. The government can track me pretty much anywhere I go these days. I'm more concerned with the general public. The question was whether anyone has done it. I've done my share of witing my senators to object to the inability of the FAA to protect my privacy. This may be a useful solution. I'd like to know more about it.

Last edited:
I'm wondering how that procedure is any different that doing this https://ladd.faa.gov/

Is the link Stewart posted for operators wanting to use a custom call sign?

If you're just wanting to go anonymous, LADD is pretty straight forward. You just fill in the info on the website and you're done. You will show up as "Private". It does take a few days for for the FAA to update their system.

Isn't LADD just a new name for the FAA's ADS-B info block? That didn't work except on a couple of tracking sites that honored the request. Lots of sites don't care and show your info. I filed a block. I could find my flights on several websites. It appears this new program masks your identity. Those sites will still see you but won't correctly identify you.

Because ADS-B Exchange does not use any FAA data there are no FAA BARR/LADD, military, or other “filters” preventing you from seeing the the data you collected. ADS-B Exchange simply does not accept payment or requests to remove aircraft from public tracking

FWIW. LADD worked great for me. Takes just a minute to fill in and will take effect when the update their list on a monthly basis. I filed for the LADD list when I got a text message from a random business contact asking about the spot I had just landed at... then asked what the family was up to "back home." It was harmless, but enough to make me realize that nobody deserves the right to know when I am away from my wife and kiddo.

But the system Stewart posted requires a “third party issued ID”. So, you’d have to apply for one of those, then use that when communicating with ATC......I think. In other words, instead of a tail number you’d call ATC with “Stewart One”, or whatever your ID is, rather than using tail number.

or am I reading that wrong? Third party IDs are no big deal to get. I used them flying agency aircraft, and school aircraft. No different from “Delta XXX” really.

MTV

"Anonymous" AD-BS is not anonymous, to the FAA or third parties. There was a webinar earlier this year held by Bendix-King and two guys from the FAA AD-BS office and they explained how it is possible to figure out who you are. Not for me, no thank you.

Thump your chest all you want. I just stated a fact. It has nothing to do with politics.

My beef is and always has been that if installed we’re required to broadcast ADS-B but the government can’t protect my position information and identity from being accessed by the public. Guys who think FAA blocking works are mistaken. With a block in place I had internet strangers contact me to ask about where I was landing. I’m on the fence whether to add ADS-B to my Cessna or remove it from my Cub. Anonymity is a big part of the decision.

No ADSB in my cub.......thought about it, but very, very few airspace concerns west of the Mississippi. I'm still with the understanding that ATC is all about traffic separation. That could have been done without giving away N number.......similar to the TXP
requirements. Flight plan or no any TXP equipped A/C will provide traffic separation. IMHO this isn't about separation........it is ultimately about enforcement and user fees. Somebody tell me I'm wrong.

No ADSB in my cub.......thought about it, but very, very few airspace concerns west of the Mississippi. I'm still with the understanding that ATC is all about traffic separation. That could have been done without giving away N number.......similar to the TXP
requirements. Flight plan or no any TXP equipped A/C will provide traffic separation. IMHO this isn't about separation........it is ultimately about enforcement and user fees. Somebody tell me I'm wrong.
I too think they could have implemented AD-BS without the built-in give-away of your identity. My only conclusion is that they wanted to design in the hooks for automated enforcement and automated user fees. The former has already happened. There was a thread on this I think it was on backcountrypilot earlier in the year. Regarding separation, yeah it seems to me that if AD-BS was really about safety, you would think they would have mandated it for airspace out in the boonies, not in airspace already controlled by ATC.

My friends who flew the Capstone Project in remote western Alaska that was the predecessor of ADS-B loved it. Many still fly out there and appreciate ADS-B today. No ATC out there.

I pay user fees. That's how private airports stay alive. I don't feel warm and fuzzy paying taxes for the public airport crowd to fly for "free", because it never was free. It's an entitlement.

Wow. Ok comrade, way to roll over and play dead. Since you are happy with this, you are going to love the next 4 years.

Come on man, seriously? We’ve all had a non-stop front row seat to this kind of “stuff” for well over a year now. Please make your point without dragging us back into the pit. I come here as an escape.

I would guess that private airports are started by someone who wants a private airport. Who they let use the airport or how much they might charge to use that airport is like any other private
business.......so I don't quite understand the user fees for private airports being an issue. The rest of us pay fuel taxes to fund public airports....nobody gets to fly for free and nobody I know
feels like they are entitled to fly for free.
My gripe will be with the day they implement fees/taxes for specific flights ( VFR, IFR, Class B,C,D airports, rural areas, etc.)..PLUS our fuel taxes. It's coming. When ADSB is mandated in all airspace will our ranchers get a bill to fly fences or cattle checks?

......I pay user fees. That's how private airports stay alive. I don't feel warm and fuzzy paying taxes for the public airport crowd to fly for "free", because it never was free. It's an entitlement.

If you think us guys based on public airports are getting a free ride,
pay my hangar pad lease for a couple months & you'll have a different point of view.

.....I’m on the fence whether to add ADS-B to my Cessna or remove it from my Cub. Anonymity is a big part of the decision.

I'm in the Puget Sound area, there's too much "rule airspace" that I'd have to stay out of if I didn't have ADSB.
If that wasn't the case, I'd go without it in a heartbeat.

As others have stated, I too believe there is no true anonymity. Just like preventing theft, it’s easy to deter someone from taking advantage. It’s a different thing to prevent someone that really wants it.

That said, I’m a believer in the safety aspect of ADSB for myself personally. And while I fear for its implications down the road, at the moment I appreciate the benefit.

For those that want to see what apparently bored people do, see the excerpt copied and pasted below from the ADSB exchange website.

ADS-B Exchange differs from typical flight tracking sites in two primary ways.

First and foremost ADS-B Exchange does not participate in the filtering performed by most other flight tracking websites which do not share data on military or certain private aircraft. Because ADS-B Exchange does not use any FAA data there are no FAA BARR/LADD, military, or other “filters” preventing you from seeing the the data you collected. ADS-B Exchange simply does not accept payment or requests to remove aircraft from public tracking!

Second, we are a community. The data we have comes from volunteers, which is supplied back to the community through APIs. Donations are appreciated as they are used to help cover the costs of the infrastructure, archive, and all of the great things you see when using our site. And best of all feeders are eligible to get a personal use API key at no cost.

Based on that info, you can see they have no intent on letting anyone be Anonymous. The ironic part is I bet you can’t a name and number to call the people running the site.

https://globe.adsbexchange.com

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers...

If you think us guys based on public airports are getting a free ride,
pay my hangar pad lease for a couple months & you'll have a different point of view.

I'm in the Puget Sound area, there's too much "rule airspace" that I'd have to stay out of if I didn't have ADSB.
If that wasn't the case, I'd go without it in a heartbeat.

I parked at a public airport for 25 years. I know about fees but those aren't user fees. My house and property aren't free, nor are taxes, and I still have to pay annual airport user fee. And I also buy avgas so I'm paying taxes for that, too. Not a big enough deal to make me want to stop owning airplanes.

I'm not required to have ADS-B but there are parts of it that I like. I'm not required to have a radio or recognition lights but I like those, too. Everyone makes their decisions for reasons that make sense to them. I support that. The question I asked in this thread is whether anyone is familiar with this new policy for maintaining anonymity. I hope somebody speaks up.

Taxes, more Taxes, Fees and insurance, the largest percentage of the costs of living. Don't add it all up, you'll throw up your dinner.

I read through their documentation when it was first announced. PIA seems like a massive PITA. It decouples your identity from the ICAO code broadcast by your equipment, but that's really all it does. It doesn't give you a new ICAO code for each flight, so your identity could potentially be deduced from publicly available information. Patterns emerge over time. It's not at all user friendly, and seems aimed toward corporate jet types.

UAT 978 anonymous mode is still the best option we have for keeping snoops out of our business while still enjoying the benefits of ADS-B. The implementation is flawed, but not fatally so.

The question I asked in this thread is whether anyone is familiar with this new policy for maintaining anonymity. I hope somebody speaks up.

...........but, but, but SB........you put a carrot out there :cheers

If ya’ll dont want your location accessed ya might shut off the cell phone in your pocket.

I have found a couple rescues/recoveries for law enforcement this past year by the pings last received before they thought to shut off their cell phones.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Whilst composing a snarky reply to the thread, it seems that I'd left "Auto Correct" on, thus transforming the phrase "ADS-B Compliant" to "ADS-B Complaint". Which seems to be what a lot of this is. Danged dyslexic computers.

Thanks. cubscout

Whilst composing a snarky reply to the thread, it seems that I'd left "Auto Correct" on, thus transforming the phrase "ADS-B Compliant" to "ADS-B Complaint". Which seems to be what a lot of this is. Danged dyslexic computers.

Thanks. cubscout
Having read this tread and then checking to see what it takes to preserve my privacy while using ADS-B found it is not possible to do simply and you will have to pay a third party for your new ID and use their service to file flight plans. The ADS-B system will not be in any of my aircraft until privacy WILL be protected. So will not be compliant and this is my one complaint. :sad::sad:

And thanks for pointing this out as I have to remove a box and antenna from a project now.

That's my conundrum, too. I need to uninstall something from my Cub or accept being tracked in public. Our senators' offices were less than helpful about the issue. Well, the one senator whose junior office staff took the time to respond, anyway.

Back