Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Bold Method...

Post Thanks / Like

Bold Method...

I have been a fan of Bold Method website (www.boldmethods.com)...they are very good with offering insights aimed at improving our flying skills...but...

Tonight I watched a video of how to make a good approach and I stuck with it for awhile...but...it became too much. The audience was able to comment and please take a look at the comments...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bold Methods.JPG 
Views:	1267 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	52542

This reminds me of how fortunate we are to be flying the kind of aircraft we are flying, and to appreciate how much we learn from flying taildraggers and in being precise in our technique of flying into the off airport environment.

Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    I grew up flying stick & rudder, pitch & power. Still do. I feel sorry for the new crop of GA pilots who are driving airplanes because they never learned how to fly them.
    After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF !

Post Thanks / Like
    A local guy has a Cirrus. I help him with his flight reviews. Its always fun to ride in, a very serious travel machine.
    That being said, I make him hand fly the airplane for the entire event. He has a blast doing it but SOP for him is autopilot on at 200'. Probably a good thing and keeps him out of trouble.
    He bought an FX3 three years ago. Ground looped it once and flipped it on its back once. He still goes out and flies it every morning. His Cirrus flew less than 5 hours last year due to parachute repack and line cutters. That took an inordinate amount of time to get accomplished.

Post Thanks / Like
    Knew a guy with a 421 that wanted me to put him through our 135 training so he could feel confident in his abilities. First takeoff it was gear up, autopilot on. Flew first approach fully coupled to the miss. As soon as he got the gear up on the miss I turned the autopilot off and announced it would be inoperative for the next approach. He became very agitated and said “I’ll have you know I have the autopilot inspected every year, it’s not going to fail”. He turned it back on, we landed, end of training.

Post Thanks / Like
    Your 421 "pilot" needs one of these: https://www.engadget.com/2019-10-31-...t-landing.html
    Just push one button.
    N1PA
    Likes mam90 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, he definitely would have had one if it were available at the time. Keeping basic airmanship skills sharp and maintaining proficiency with automation is a balancing act for sure. As far as the video above, in my opinion if you teach a pilot to recognize the appropriate sight picture and good energy management they will likely be able to fly good approaches.
    Likes RaisedByWolves, DENNY, Scooter7779h liked this post