• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fabric pros and cons.

Zook

FOUNDER
I am building a new cub from a kit that came from nick smith. Great guys to work with. I’m also getting some parts from jay at Javron. We are hoping to cover it this winter and was wanting some input on what you all would use for fabric and why. We plan on putting it on floats so it will sit outside all summer and be in the hanger in the winter.

OK, I'll get you going. I like Stewart Systems because of the low VOC's of the product. The adhesive, fillers, primers are waterbourn. The paint is catalyzed urethane and the carrier is distilled water.
Can't we just talk about religion?

Your profile doesn't say where you are located, but when covering mine with Poly Fiber, winter didn't work well for covering as the temps were not warm enough (even with a heated hanger).

I should have stated that I choose not to leave the heater on and burn gobs of propane since I could do other tasks during winter.

The point being, you will need a warm place to do covering in.

One of the biggest questions in my opinion is do you foresee any auto gas at all in your future? If so, do your research. Multiple brands, including one previously mentioned above, are negatively affected by auto fuel on the back side of the fabric. Some just lift the topcoat, some actually release the glue holding the fabric to the airframe... All systems have pros and cons- you’re going to have to decide what’s most important to you.

I'm very familiar with working with the Poly Fiber system in a "cool" shop or hangar. Not so much the fabric work, I am able to get my shop nice and warm for that, but the outbuilding/paint booth was the tricky part. I settled on framing in a section of my pole barn, insulated, and with a insulated radiant floor heat slab. I'd get the slab warm, and start painting, but after a while the incoming cold air would draw down the rooms air temperature. As the ambient temp dropped, I'd modify my spray technique as I went, and to my surprise, the Poly-Tone finish turned out great, it just took extra work and timing dealing with the temp swings. Nowadays, with Oratex, the only reason I keep the PolyFiber products around is for repairs, and unless the finish job would look like a burlap bag, Oratex would seem to offer a huge advantage for fabric work in less then optimum conditions, we call that winter here. I'm totally not interested in a show plane finish anyway, and coming from a Poly-Tone finish, Oratex would look just fine to my eyes. Lighter also, another huge advantage. More pricey I guess, don't care.

Irish linen and nitrate dope. :wink: Done properly, lasts a long time.

Where can you buy Irish linen nowadays?

I would pick a system that you have easy access to materials when future repairs are needed. Go to your local shops and see what they are using. Nothing worse than have to wait a 4-6 weeks and pay extra 150 bucks to get a quart of hazardous material shipped up in the middle of flying season!! Pick colors that are common for the same reason!!
DENNY

Alaska State Troopers use Super Flight on their Super Cubs. Looks shiny all the time. I used that system on mine and it turned out excellent. Use the system that is easy to repair, obtain and store.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

Oratex prefers a warm environment for installation. The glue is water based and CAN NOT FREEZE(capitalized for emphasis, not yelling.) Frozen OTX glue is ruined.

Alaska State Troopers use Super Flight on their Super Cubs. Looks shiny all the time. I used that system on mine and it turned out excellent. Use the system that is easy to repair, obtain and store.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

They look shiny all the time because they keep wrecking them and having them rebuilt lol.

I'll cast another vote for Stewarts. Been using it since long before it was Stewarts. I used to own part of it and still teach and tech for them. It's not difficult, but it IS different! Getting replacement components isn't a big deal, as it all ships non-hazardous. Some certain blends of car gas will react with the fill coat, but we have ways to keep that in check. All systems have some reaction to certain chemicals. I used Polyfiber and Ceconite for many years prior to that and it works fine but the chemicals don't work with me. I haven't tried Oratex yet.
John

Not to pick a fight, but what steps are taken to prevent reaction with the full coat? And how about the glue? I’ve seen Alaska (non-ethanol) car gas loosen/soft/lift the Ekobond glue on multiple airplanes.

If you’re only doing one airplane I would do polyfiber with PPG. I’ve been doing it all for a while and am switching to Stewart’s.

Superflight System VII. Very impressed. And my plane? Stits/Aerothane. No regrets!

Bottom line? They all work. Use the process you can do best. It'll be what people see.

I will throw another log on the fire. I have used Airtech on several occasions, and been very impressed with that process. I like the way the glue goes on. I like the way (and ease) of sanding the primer. It can be wet sanded. It is a very durable urethane paint. You can clean it with acetone and it doesn’t even take the shine off. It is a high solids paint, so you need to be careful not to get it on too heavy. Perhaps a little less toxic than some of the other systems.Just another option to consider

Bill

I just finished covering a cub using PolyFiber. It was my first, and I liked the ability to fix mistakes with an iron. I don't know a thing about the others, though I have had good experiences with Airtech primers. I would point out the the base of everything Polyfiber is MEK, which is nasty stuff. It is now outlawed in Colorado, so I have to drive 100 miles to New Mexico to buy any.

I started in the summer, when it was too warm, and the PolyBrush dried too quickly, and finished up in the fall, and mid-sixties seemed ideal for working it.

John

Disclaimer: I know nothing about the covering process...

Seems to me Oratex would be the cats meow for a guy like me that has to pay someone to do it! I need to learn how to cover Cubs one of these days!

I have been to a Stewarts class, looked many planes over, and really studied what and why.

You really are asking the same type of question as if you came on here asking about religion, or headset brands. Everyone has their reasons they like what they have, and the other systems are junk.

My Maule will get Oratex this winter. Once finished, it is the lightest of the fabric systems. It takes the least amount of chemical application. It can be a glue on, shrink and done system. No paint needed. Purchase cost is higher, but the savings in spray equipment helps with that- also the amount of time to do multiple coats and sanding. Repairs are glue a patch and iron. Because I am limited in room and heat controlled space, many spray coats does not appeal to me.

The down side is that it does not offer the 'classic' look exactly like other systems. Color choice is limited. It is a plastic type material, which requires either waxing once a year, or it can get a 'dirty' look along the seams I am told. So I figure the exterior will take 8 hours a year of clean and wax care.

Which ever one you choose, if this is your first, I will suggest you find a person experience with that system, to come help you for the finish work. There are so many tricks people learn after doing three or four planes that they don't even think to tell you- just do. It will save you as much in ruined materials and time to have them work for you two weeks when it comes time.

Oh, I have been told that when spraying dope you want to be facing DOWNWIND!:lol:

I have been to a Stewarts class, looked many planes over, and really studied what and why.

You really are asking the same type of question as if you came on here asking about religion, or headset brands. Everyone has their reasons they like what they have, and the other systems are junk.

My Maule will get Oratex this winter. Once finished, it is the lightest of the fabric systems. It takes the least amount of chemical application. It can be a glue on, shrink and done system. No paint needed. Purchase cost is higher, but the savings in spray equipment helps with that- also the amount of time to do multiple coats and sanding. Repairs are glue a patch and iron. Because I am limited in room and heat controlled space, many spray coats does not appeal to me.

The down side is that it does not offer the 'classic' look exactly like other systems. Color choice is limited. It is a plastic type material, which requires either waxing once a year, or it can get a 'dirty' look along the seams I am told. So I figure the exterior will take 8 hours a year of clean and wax care.

Which ever one you choose, if this is your first, I will suggest you find a person experience with that system, to come help you for the finish work. There are so many tricks people learn after doing three or four planes that they don't even think to tell you- just do. It will save you as much in ruined materials and time to have them work for you two weeks when it comes time.

Oh, I have been told that when spraying dope you want to be facing DOWNWIND!:lol:

Has Oratex got an STC. Friend covered his Super Cub in it and never did get an sTC. They ended up giving him his money back and now he has to recover his Cub to be legal.

Last I heard the Oratex had an FAA STC now. Or at least the Canadian STC is being made to work in the US.

I don't know who that is but Oratex gave this guy his money back. I am guessing that is about 10k. They had promised him the STC through out the entire covering process.

Back