• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Tank straps that are lightened?

Near the arctic circle
I was checking out a video of the AK Airmens raffle plane being built by Acme. In the wing build video there is a tank strap that looks like plumbers tape with holes the whole length. Is this a different part number or an aftermarket part? Is it save weight? Where is it available?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSc1g-Bvo2w

Screenshot_2020-11-20 Alaska Airmen's Association.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-11-20 Alaska Airmen's Association.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-11-20 Alaska Airmen's Association.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 257
I would assume it is to save weight. Knowing Steve he probably just put them on the drill press and drilled holes. Doesn't look to be very evenly or perfectly spaced holes but it gets the job done.

One of the most common ways to end a cub crash sequence is upside down. While I realize that there are many potentials for a tank to depart rupturing fuel lines, adding one more to the list doesn't strike me as an overly wise choice.

I'll leave my belt buckle on the dresser if it gets that tight.

Take care, Rob

But what if you left your belt buckle and ​drilled out your tank straps? Now we're talking real weight savings!

One of the most common ways to end a cub crash sequence is upside down. While I realize that there are many potentials for a tank to depart rupturing fuel lines, adding one more to the list doesn't strike me as an overly wise choice.

I was just wondering this morning before I saw your post, if this is even legal. I would consider these straps structural.
What are 20 years of rough field landing going to do to those straps??

Those straps appear wider than the normal strap. Does he have a reason for that? The strap is only as strong as the total amount of the materiel on each side of the biggest hole. SO, making a strap as wide as the total of those two dimensions without holes would have the same strength. The difference would be in the distribution of the forces into the tank itself.

In addition to what I said in #6, unless he wanted the extra width in order to distribute the loads over a wider area, the strap could be made even lighter by making the total width a combination of the material on each side of the widest hole and eliminating the materiel between the holes.

Back