• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Best way to re-bevel windshield trim strip?

Sam D

SPONSOR
Petaluma, CA
I'm about to begin forming the outer windshield trim strip on my project. I understand that the best way to do this is to remove the bevel/bend at the top of the strip before forming (bending, shrinking, etc) and then put it back in once formed. I have a tool for this from Aircraft Spruce (see pic below) but it would put in a significantly wider bevel than the original bend. I was thinking of modifying the tool to put a small fence in which would stop the material from going so far in, but I don't think it would hold that well without the full purchase of the wheels on the material. Any thoughts on the best way to approach this?

Thanks!
Sam

IMG_3328[1].JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3328[1].JPG
    IMG_3328[1].JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 133
What style plane?? & strip??? Never had to do much forming. Just start clecoing it down then fix that lip in rare occasion it needs it. You’re gonna silicone over that upper lip anyway/ not really seen.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Sorry -- Javron PA-18 narrow-body and univair strip. I like the idea that I'm over-thinking it but seems like I have to do some straightening. Below is a pic of the inner strip mostly formed (the one shown in front) and the outer-strip (i.e. the one I'm asking about) shown in the rear here and not yet formed.

IMG_3169[1].jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3169[1].jpg
    IMG_3169[1].jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 129
I'll not enter the discussion other than to suggest you start in the middle and work your way equally on both sides to the ends. That part was the most time consuming, painstaking and frustrating part of my whole project.

TM Technologies sells dimpled shrinker and stretching dies for the Lancaster style to sneak up on the fit without leaving the sure to crack marks the standard dies create.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back