• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Securing round inspection plates for painting?

supercub

Let me check my GPS, gee how'd we ever navigate w
Looking for suggestions on securing the many round inspection cover/plates for painting? I first want to prime the inside and outside then just color coat the outside. So need to secure them.... both upside down and right side up. Thanks

Looking for suggestions on securing the many round inspection cover/plates for painting? I first want to prime the inside and outside then just color coat the outside. So need to secure them.... both upside down and right side up. Thanks

Make loops of masking tape. Stick them to a sheet of cardboard.

I've used spray can lids, cardboard and masking tape.

Événements - 09601.jpg

Événements - 09602.jpg

Attachments

• Événements - 09601.jpg
    Événements - 09601.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 243
  • Événements - 09602.jpg
    Événements - 09602.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 223
First guy I worked with just NAILED THEM TO A SAW HORSE!! not recommended. I just clip them onto poster board strips and staple that assembly to to wall through poster board... never have done back sides.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I made a holder, or 'handle' out of some 1/4 inch tube I think that I have a neodymium magnet epoxied to the end. Stick the magnet to the spring steel on the back and it's easy to spray both sides.

I think I had Chris Nesin hold mine. I think I still have clothes around here with yellow and blue on them.....:smile:

I get a large cardboard box, and lay a piece of window screen over the open top of it. Lay the inspection covers on the screen and spray them. They stay right where I put them. the air blast going around them goes through the screen and doesn't disturb the parts being sprayed. Works great!

I get a large cardboard box, and lay a piece of window screen over the open top of it. Lay the inspection covers on the screen and spray them. They stay right where I put them. the air blast going around them goes through the screen and doesn't disturb the parts being sprayed. Works great!

Interesting idea....

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I spray all the smaller parts over/on a sheet of expanded metal supported by saw horses. They don’t move around as the air blast doesn’t “reflect” under them. Why make it harder than that?

I spray all the smaller parts over/on a sheet of expanded metal supported by saw horses. They don’t move around as the air blast doesn’t “reflect” under them. Why make it harder than that?

That must leave some marks on the parts... What do you do to keep the paint from the edges to stick to the expended metal and the parts???

I have a big panel of really light weight square tubing and "rabbit wire" with about a 1/4" mesh. Seeing as how it's metal, it's easy to ground and anything set on it is grounded. Makes a lot of difference for dust. Set it on a couple saw horses, wherever it fits and go to work. Been using it for 20+ years.
John

Just lay them on correlated (mesh) the air blows through and does not lift them

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

I have a big expanded metal panel but I always tend to blow them around so I put a loop of tape under them. If it can be screwed up it the paint booth I have done it.

I string two wires across my paint room about 2 in apart and then slide the spring tabs onto the wires and that way you can get to both sides

A 1X4 frame and some large screen has worked well for me. Everything stays put.

DSC00412.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00412.jpg
    DSC00412.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 918
Pacific Scrap Metal in our area Robert, often has various pieces and types of expanded metal, cheap, and when you're done using them to paint on they are handy for lot's of other purposes. I'm talking the material used for traction walkways in factories etc., I've various pieces from 24" wide and 12' long to much smaller, and have also used some in my shop for shelving that won't collect dust. They can be handy to throw underneath a tire on ice also.

This is the stuff I use. The industrial plants around here use it for no slip walkways, and for whatever reason a lot of it ends up at my local scrapyard, where I can buy it at scrap prices. This pic shows probably around $10.00 worth. It has a roughed up top surface, little teeth that stick up slightly, and works better then simple screening for keeping small parts in place when spraying. A 10' length is stiff enough to self support, it has a formed side angle to it, with just end supports. Done painting for a while, so now it's on my bike trail for when the seasonal spring surfaces, making it too mushy, it's great stuff to have around. Get it? Grate stuff!

Attachments

• IMG_20201119_085145443.jpg
    IMG_20201119_085145443.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 130
Back