• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Exp PA-11 Engine Mount

Techteach

My father picked up another project for himself. It’s an experimental PA-11, wood spars and ribs. 12 gallon wing tanks. We’ve already decided to go with a C-90, lightweight everything and a starter.
Question - are there any suggestions for the engine mount such as thrust line mods? We did the thrust line change on our 150HP exp J-5, but we’ve never heard anyone doing anything for the PA-11. Just wanted to ask if there are any suggested mods before we start making the jig to make the engine mount.
Thanks!

A J-3 engine mount will also mount the engine much higher than a PA-11 mount. A J-3 has a 12 gallon tank in the boot cowl that isn't there on a PA-11. Unlike a stock PA-11, an engine mount that high will make it impossible to see over the nose from the front seat.
Regarding the thrust line on a PA-11 with a C90 on it Piper got it right when they built that one.

It’s not all that much higher and part of that is because the front of the engine is higher than an -11 because it isn’t pointed down. Also the nose tank has nothing to do with the engine being higher because the tank is aft of the firewall and the engine in front. In fact the J-3 front seat is lower than an -11 so visibility ain’t the issue. I can see over the nose just fine in the J3 with just an extra 3” pad in the seat to make it like an -11.

Now sure the cowling from an -11 won’t fit a J3 mount just perfect but with some adjustment can be made to work from what I’m told.

I went down this road years ago when I built my first cub.
I made a jig off of a friends pa-11 engine mount and then hinged part of it to allow for zero thrust line.
I’d be glad to loan it to you if your interested.
605-891-1290
Clint

Thanks everyone for the help. Clint, I passed along your number to my father. He may call you to ask some questions from someone who’s been there before with a PA-11. The project did come with a C-65 with a mount attached, but we have no idea what the mount came from. Plus, we’d like to build our own mount to upsize the tubing for a little piece of mind with the C-90.

I have the J3 mount on my Experimental 11...the cowl does take some modification to fit....not finished with my project yet so no flight report...I have the O200 with B&C starter and it fits fine
A4EC0111-BD3F-4973-A7F7-EC7BF926DF42.jpg

Attachments

• A4EC0111-BD3F-4973-A7F7-EC7BF926DF42.jpg
    A4EC0111-BD3F-4973-A7F7-EC7BF926DF42.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 252
Back