• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Thinking of The Dark Side, C182

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna have to develop some nosewheel habits.
You already made one bad habit.

Ha! Took me a minute to see it.. I remember learning that early on!

And by learning it early on, I mean I got yelled at for doing it.........

Last edited:
Gonna have to develop some nosewheel habits.
You already made one bad habit.
Ha, I saw a Malibu just after take off with the tow bar still dangling from the nose wheel. Never did learn what happened. Could have been nothing, could have been the nose gear jamming in the wheel well or it could have tangled with the prop?????????

Life is a filled with occasional mistakes. The internet is filled with folks to point them out!

Ask an industrial rubber supplier about diamond plate rubber. We get it in 36" or 48" widths. 36" works perfectly for a Skywagon. You'll need 48". Easy to cut, durable, looks good.

Life is a filled with occasional mistakes. The internet is filled with folks to point them out!

Very true... On the other hand I’ve suffered some self-inflicted events that could have been avoided if someone had pointed out my error before hand.......

Isn't that the fun part of the internet SB?

Didn't want to make it sound like I was chastising you in in front of everybody Steve. Wasn't even going to say what it was.

But I've had to chew on a lot young pilots around here.

Rule here is: never ever ever leave a tow bar on an airplane-- EVER! Not for one minute not for one second !!

if you've ever walked into a room and can't remember why you went in there or what you were after you are a perfect candidate for the towbar ding in the prop.

Yeah Stewart we all make occasional mistakes !! I've got three gas caps wondering around up north till I had to finally beat myself up and quit that bad habit.

Sorry Steve I'll get off my soapbox and go away

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

9AEED862-2B31-4E12-8D62-7FFDCCE6BE55.png

Nobody's flaming anybody here, at least from my point of view!

Attachments

• 9AEED862-2B31-4E12-8D62-7FFDCCE6BE55.png
    9AEED862-2B31-4E12-8D62-7FFDCCE6BE55.png
    165.6 KB · Views: 174
Oh, I flew my Super Cub around with the tow bar on the tailwheel. Tim is right though, it has to be pulled out of the hangar.

Someone was telling an old story of a guy at Birchwood that used a oxygen bottle for a tail tiedown. He forgot to untie it one day and took off with it??? Anyone know that story or more details?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Once upon a time when I was working for the regional Piper distributor they were using some large flat steel plates for tie downs. These plates were just resting on the ground and could be slid into position for use. Why they used these I don't know. One day an instructor and his student went for a flight in a brand new Cherokee six. They shared the preflight, taxied out and took off. They did notice an apparent wing heaviness without realizing what it could be. As they were touching down there was a large impact. One of the tie down disks had been left tied to the wing. When it hit the runway, it swung back under the fuselage hitting the the opposite side producing a enormous hole in the side. The tie down discs disappeared by sun down.

I know a guy that took off from FAI float pond with a 50-ft rope tied to the left rear float cleat. At the other of the rope end was a screw type tie down. When tower asked him about it, he landed in the Chena River and secured the evidence. No harm no foul, they say.

A little windy for Cathy today so we cleaned out the mouse droppings, changed the oil and replaced the firewall cowl attach Tinnerman nut plates with machine screw nut plates. Cleaned engine too, west Texas dust and any oil makes a mess.
PXL_20201126_224958247.MP.jpg
PXL_20201126_225002714.jpg
PXL_20201126_224950078.MP.jpg
Even got it in the work hangar overnight.
PXL_20201126_231521058.MP.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20201126_224958247.MP.jpg
    PXL_20201126_224958247.MP.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 210
  • PXL_20201126_225002714.jpg
    PXL_20201126_225002714.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 219
  • PXL_20201126_224950078.MP.jpg
    PXL_20201126_224950078.MP.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 206
  • PXL_20201126_231521058.MP.jpg
    PXL_20201126_231521058.MP.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 253
Well, two tow bar stories.

A friend with a 182 took off with the tow bar attached. It does clear the prop, but on landing, it hit some bump on the runway and bounced up into the prop.

In the 90s (I think) when the CHP was flying 185s for traffic speed enforcement, one of their pilots took off with a motorized tug still attached to the tailwheel, into a low overcast no less. Of course he felt the cg imbalance, declared an emergency, and safely landed back at the airport, no damage.

I know several good towbar/tie down stories. Since my tiedown story was in a 182 I’m gonna say it’s relevant to this thread.... One of my first charters as a 19 year old new commercial pilot was a 182 trip from Anchorage to Valdez to take 2 men to look at surplus pipeline equipment. They were extremely hesitant to get in the airplane with a long haired kid, but eventually we loaded up. As soon as I got the engine started, my “friends” snuck out and retied the tail. Once the airplane wouldn’t move at about 1800 RPM, I shut down and jumped out. As I finished untying the tail (again) I looked up to see the passengers walking away. Never saw them again.....

I knew a guy with a later-model 182 who'd gotten into the bad habit of not removing the towbar whenever it was not actually in use.
Pulled it out if the hangar one day & got distracted--
a while later when he climbed aboard & fired it up,
and the prop wash sucked the towbar up and kapow!
Cost him several thousand dollars worth of engine teardown & prop repair.
He never did find the handle end of that towbar.

Congrats--looks like a great airplane matched for the need. I get to ride around in a 182 on Aerocets that is no slouch on the water. I call it the flying living room--spacious and accommodating. Same guy that owns that also has an F33A, which I covet and plan to get checked out in. That thing is built tough. I might even take it a bit further and get certified to deal with the really cool little TV screens that let you fly through clouds. Wowee. I like both of them and for a dark side I'd have a hard time picking between the two even though I lean towards the F33A whenever we go on a long jaunt.

That looks like Texas Skyways "Buccaneer" Prop. I have one on my 185. Of the 4 or 5 props I've tried over the years I like this one the best. Smooth, quiet and pulls like the dickens.

Googled it, guess it's a Hartzell.
What's the difference between this one and their new Voyager?

It is a Hartzell HC-C3Yf-1RF/F8068 prop.

Ordered a CGR30P engine monitor so we know what that thing up front is doing. Also ordered some BAS shoulder harnesses. My Super Cub is not liking this new airplane much. She could easily be sporting some aluminum lift struts plus. 8)

What's the difference between this one and their new Voyager?
The "Voyager" has more diameter and a different blade profile.
https://hartzellprop.com/hartzell-voyager-propeller-receives-stc-for-cessna-a185e-f/
It is a Hartzell HC-C3Yf-1RF/F8068 prop.
This is the "Buccaneer".
This one weighs 10 lbs more than a similar McCauley, but well worth the weight penalty in spite of it being on the nose.
They sure have refined their manufacturing techniques. The balance is perfect without any additional balance weights.

Actually the prop clears the tow bar but that is our rule on cathy's tri-Pacer. ;) I thought about it when I did it. ;)

Anybody use this floor covering or have other vendors?
https://scs-interiors.com/collectio...cessories/products/cessna-182a-1957-vinyl-kit

I have one of those kits in my 175, fits great, and is very durable. I'd go there in a heartbeat.

I was due for a checkride once in a 206....a night/IFR recurrent ride. When check airman arrived, there were two of them....one an FAA type.

I was pre-flighting, and these guys started "helping". I requested they NOT help. one of them needed to catch the late flight to ANC. So, they continued to "help"....pushing the plane out, etc. I should have called a halt to the proceedings right there, in retrospect.

But, got in the plane, fired up and taxied out, and went flying. All tasks complete and a few instrument approaches later, landed and parked back at the hangar.

We all got out, I opened the hangar door, and "check airman" asked where the tow bar went...... None of us had any idea, but it no longer lived in that hangar. Lucky? You betcha.

Lesson? Don't EVER let anyone "participate" in your pre-flight preparations. Even check airmen.

MTV

Cathy and I learned a lesson on Friday. We took off and I was trying to get her comfortable both in the new airplane and just knocking some rust off. We landed and I decided to pour the coals to it and take off again. Forgot to set for take off trim, it is a handful to over come the trim. I tried putting nose down trim but the wheel wouldn't turn. Got on downwind and pulled the power back and still wouldn't turn. Started the other way and it turned and then worked normal. We decided after landing to always put take-off trim in. Was talking to SJ about this and he said "you can tell a super cub what to do, you have to ask a 180-185 (etc)." 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back