• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Thinking of The Dark Side, C182

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cathy and I learned a lesson on Friday. We took off and I was trying to get her comfortable both in the new airplane and just knocking some rust off. We landed and I decided to pour the coals to it and take off again. Forgot to set for take off trim, it is a handful to over come the trim. I tried putting nose down trim but the wheel wouldn't turn. Got on downwind and pulled the power back and still wouldn't turn. Started the other way and it turned and then worked normal. We decided after landing to always put take-off trim in. Was talking to SJ about this and he said "you can tell a super cub what to do, you have to ask a 180-185 (etc)." 8)

Assuming no big obstacles retracting flaps will ease the trim effort. Every 180/182 driver needs to do a takeoff with full flaps and landing trim so they know what to expect during a go-around.

Cathy and I learned a lesson on Friday. We took off and I was trying to get her comfortable both in the new airplane and just knocking some rust off. We landed and I decided to pour the coals to it and take off again. Forgot to set for take off trim, it is a handful to over come the trim. I tried putting nose down trim but the wheel wouldn't turn. Got on downwind and pulled the power back and still wouldn't turn. Started the other way and it turned and then worked normal. We decided after landing to always put take-off trim in. Was talking to SJ about this and he said "you can tell a super cub what to do, you have to ask a 180-185 (etc)." 8)
My CFI always insists we come to a full stop, retract flaps, and reset trim when we leave the runway with the 180. It is a very good habit to get into, especially if you are moving fast and trying to get into a busy pattern. It is strange that a simple flow check would show a problem, even knowing that and having missed things in the past I still forget to do it sometimes. One of them human nature things I guess.
DENNY

Steve,
Because of what you experienced I do the following:
Stop trimming on approach at 80 instead of 60ish.
On a go around add power followed by setting the flaps to 20 (10 if you have it).
Start trimming nose down(at least 5-8 rolls).
if trimming is difficult then unload the elevator while trimming.
Recheck to make sure you have full power.

Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back