• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Automotive Sparkplug Adapter Installation

Captain Ron

PATRON
Les Cedres, QC, Canada
Hi Folks,

Here's a bit of dumb question...

I'm installing a set of P-Mags and automotive sparkplugs. Instructions are quite clear to thread the adapters onto the plugs and then install the pair in cylinder and torque the plug. Makes sense. But does this apply every time you remove the plugs? Do I need to remove the adapter each time I pull the plugs just so I can re-install them on the plugs?

Cheers,

Jeff

I do it every time. Sometimes when you remove the plug, the adapter stays on the plug vice on the cylinder. Doing it this way allows me to check for potential issues with the adapter. Just one data point. I don't remember if I do that because I spoke with Brad about it or if it is a habit pattern now. I also change the spark plug washer.

My adapters usually loosen with the plug but if one doesn’t I leave it alone and just deal with the plug. If it loosens I remove, clean, and apply fresh anti-seize before reinstalling. I anneal the adapter gaskets
but I never do anything special with the auto plug gaskets. Never have on a car, either.

FWIW... I read several Emag adapter failure stories on the RV site so I replaced them with Lightspeed’s adapters. Different alloy.

Last edited:
Adapters??

In the old airboat we got truck plugs that had the same threads as the Lycoming head, no adapter needed.

Adapters??

In the old airboat we got truck plugs that had the same threads as the Lycoming head, no adapter needed.

My Formula 1 race plane has 18mm car spark plugs but they are expensive. The ones with the adapter are $2.50 each. so I throw them away at annual and put new ones in. way cheaper than the labor cost to clean them.

Back