• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

AD is finalized

Yes, I probably should have written that these are not issues a seasoned Cessna 100 series mechanic would be surprised to find upon inspection. In my case, pre-purchase inspection missed a couple sections and it was a costly mistake...
nothing new here.... common problem areas known for many decades.... just like adding oil.... consumables...

Why do i have a feeling each of those pieces is going to be gold plated coming from cessna.

Why do i have a feeling each of those pieces is going to be gold plated coming from cessna.

Bushwheel Bill Duncan sells a repair kit.

https://www.cessnarepairs.com/

Not cheap at $3K but way less than the cessna parts.
And considering the immense amount of BS it must take to get an STC for a structural repair,
probably actually a bargain at that price.
A well thought out, common sense solution to this issue,
I'm betting he sells a lot of them.

Bushwheel Bill Duncan sells a repair kit.

https://www.cessnarepairs.com/

Not cheap at $3K but way less than the cessna parts.
And considering the immense amount of BS it must take to get an STC for a structural repair,
probably actually a bargain at that price.
A well thought out, common sense solution to this issue,
I'm betting he sells a lot of them.

It's was actually doing quite well even before the AD, a really great fix.

sj

So, just got off the phone with Bill Duncan. He said the FAA is mistaken in the AD about the cause of this issue - it's NOT hard landings, it's overloading and turbulence. They see it a lot more frequently on float planes than wheel planes. AD or not, if you have one of these planes, you are going to want to have a look.

sj

I wonder why they think they have to know the time on the engine. What does that have to do with anything?

Pulled the whole empennage about a year ago when it was a SB. My 180H has over 12,000 hours but no damage at the stab attach points or elevator hinges. Bushwheel Bill's fix does not require new hockey sticks. They are made of unobtanium if you can find them.

Last edited:
I remember you doing that, Eddie, and believe that's the way to go on these birds for predictable operation.

We inspected our J and ended up doing both the vertical and horizontal spars in the tail, plus the LH and RH lower angles (part 40 or 46 in manual, depending on year), which hurt the most. It was a doozy of a job, but like you at least now know exactly what is back there. Wish I had been more diligent when purchasing - probably would have passed on it and waited for a 185! Same price in the end after installing the PPonk :eek:

For what it's worth, our J did hard duty as a Canadian commercial float plane for 6 years, then came back to the States, so probably had the floatplane + heavy loading issues to which Bill refers.

(
Pulled the whole empennage about a year ago when it was a SB. My 180H has over 12,000 hours but no damage at the elevator attach points or elevator hinges. Bushwheel Bill's fix does not require new hockey sticks. They are made of unobtanium if you can find them.

Last edited:
Back