• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Yellow Paint hues

Spad

GONE WEST
Hello SuperCubbers! My 1993 SuperCub has original yellow paint. In log book it’s listed as “Cub Yellow”, AirTech Polyurethane, yet I’ve seen a wide variety of “Cub Yellows”. Any advice on how to find a matching batch for touch up?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

you CANT!!! yellow form the same can, will be a different color/shade each time you spray it... majorly different..... yellow sucks!

Hello SuperCubbers! My 1993 SuperCub has original yellow paint. In log book it’s listed as “Cub Yellow”, AirTech Polyurethane, yet I’ve seen a wide variety of “Cub Yellows”. Any advice on how to find a matching batch for touch up?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app
Call Robbie Staton who owns Airtech. He will do his best to help you. He explained the process and the machine used to try and match colors the last time I was there. It’ll make you pull your hair out. I bet he can mix you something close enough that you can live with.

If you are just doing touch ups and the paint is that old I would take an inspection plate to a body shop or paint supply with a paint matching spectrograph. Probably a better match than getting the same color made today, the fade will not match the new out of the can yellow.

Wait, are you guys saying that all the different red and white colors on my plane should match??? :oops:
DENNY

Yellow is a special problem - cannot use chromium. None of the current yellows match 1993 yellows.
Randolph and Stits are the worst - they kept the same names, but changed the formulae.

Early Stits Cub yellow is now closer to 140 orange yellow. Randolph swapped Sport and Lock Haven yellow.

Stewarts Cub Yellow is closer to early Stits Cub yellow. And I agree - Airtech seems to match itself well. We just bought a gallon of Clark Yellow and it is almost a perfect match. Very expensive to get somebody else to spray it (I personally won't touch it) but drop-dead beautiful.

And yes - spray insignia white first. Always. Even on small repairs.

We did get some matching rattle cans for the Stearman - AN Yellow. Could not match it myself, no matter how hard I tried. Had lots of help with Norm Douthit - even a free can of burnt umber.

Years ago, I walked into the brand new Cabela's in Lacey WA--
there was a J3 Cub with Bushwheels hanging from the overhead in the foyer just inside the entrance.
I stopped there & was checking it out, and the greeter at the door told me "that's a mock-up".
I told him no, it wasn't, it was the real deal.
He asked me how I knew,
and I pointed out that it was painted about three different shades of yellow.

Can you guys elaborate on spraying white first? I am going to be painting areas of that I repaired soon. I had a pint of Aerothane PF-140 Orange Yellow made up to match the paint job on my cub.

Thanks,
Matt

When a paint claims "good hiding" it will look the same over different shades of primers and base coats. Yellow in general, regardless of mfg, does not hide well. I think whites tend to be loaded titanium dioxide, good hiding and generally brightens things up.

Can you guys elaborate on spraying white first? I am going to be painting areas of that I repaired soon. I had a pint of Aerothane PF-140 Orange Yellow made up to match the paint job on my cub.

Thanks,
Matt

Any time you paint a bright color, put on a coat of white first. It keeps the top coat crisp and bright. If you spray a bright color over something like zinc chromate or even gray primer, it will look dark and muddy.

Web

stits 140poly should never have been named military orange yellow cause it was not as orange as cub yellow.That caused lot of confusion I believe.

Back