• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

BBI Aviation "Nick Smith" wings

cook11

Hey group anyone have experience with BBI Aviation "Nick Smith" wings? I am looking at them as a option for my build and they seem like a good wing. Have there been any issues with them? Thanks!

Nick Smith, used to have the Smith Supercub Kit. At that time Wayne Axelson was building the wings for Nick‘s kits. They were very well-built, perhaps a little on the heavy side, but true and accurate wings.
When Nick sold his company to Turbine Cubs of Wyoming, which was later to become Backcountry Cubs, Wayne Axelson went and worked for Backcountry Cubs. After a couple of years Wayne left Backcountry Cubs and returned to Canada.
I do not know if Nick is building his own wings now or if Wayne has resumed building them since he is no longer associated with Backcountry.
either way, I am quite confident that the wing is very similar, to what Nick and Wayne used to build. Like I said, it is quite strong, a little heavy, but a true and accurate wing. The only downside will be the weight. Probably about 15 pounds to 20 pounds heavier, per panel, than a stock wing.

This is just my opinion and I may very well be wrong. Perhaps someone else will chime in with better, or more updated, information.

Bill

Nick Smith, used to have the Smith Supercub Kit. At that time Wayne Axelson was building the wings for Nick‘s kits. They were very well-built, perhaps a little on the heavy side, but true and accurate wings.
When Nick sold his company to Turbine Cubs of Wyoming, which was later to become Backcountry Cubs, Wayne Axelson went and worked for Backcountry Cubs. After a couple of years Wayne left Backcountry Cubs and returned to Canada.
I do not know if Nick is building his own wings now or if Wayne has resumed building them since he is no longer associated with Backcountry.
either way, I am quite confident that the wing is very similar, to what Nick and Wayne used to build. Like I said, it is quite strong, a little heavy, but a true and accurate wing. The only downside will be the weight. Probably about 15 pounds to 20 pounds heavier, per panel, than a stock wing.

This is just my opinion and I may very well be wrong. Perhaps someone else will chime in with better, or more updated, information.

Bill

Thanks Bill.

I flew Wayne’s wings for 7 years. As bill says, strong and true. If your looking to haul weight, I would recommend them. They also had the extended leading edges. No scallops in the fabric and looked great. I swapped them out because I put my cub on a diet.

With the current exchange rates between the US and Canadian dollars, now is a good time to buy a Smith kit.

The wings are very heavy compared to a PA18 or a Dakota Cub wing as are his fuel tanks. If the tanks are retained like the Smith wings they come out in an accident. Been involved in one nose over where they broke the straps and then one stalled and hit the ground in a nose down attitude and the tanks were in front of the airplane.

The wings are very heavy compared to a PA18 or a Dakota Cub wing as are his fuel tanks. If the tanks are retained like the Smith wings they come out in an accident. Been involved in one nose over where they broke the straps and then one stalled and hit the ground in a nose down attitude and the tanks were in front of the airplane.

Are these the hinged straps?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

My wings were built after the transition to TCOW, they did did not have the hinges. Perhaps the current ones do not have that failure issue?

Mine were also prior to TCOW and my straps were like the std supercub.

interesting

Bill

BBI Aviation "Nick Smith" wings

So both current project and wildcat had the hinges. Will need to weld hinges on next ones. And or put wider hinges on.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Are there any other structural issues I should be aware of? So the wings are approximately 15 - 20 lbs heavier per wing? Is there a way that you can add tank straps if needed? I would probably go with the 20 gallon tanks over the 24 gallons due to the weight.

I can't account for the weight differences. You can add all the straps you wish, it would be a simple procedure. I like my 24 gallon tanks, nearly 6 hours range with a fuel injected 180 hp. You never have too much fuel unless you are on fire.

Are there any other structural issues I should be aware of? So the wings are approximately 15 - 20 lbs heavier per wing? Is there a way that you can add tank straps if needed? I would probably go with the 20 gallon tanks over the 24 gallons due to the weight.

I don’t think you truly save weight with smaller tanks because the structure is set up for 24. With the smaller one you end up adding a compression member and fittings.

Current set here has the smaller tanks. Wildcat had the 24 gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Mine didn’t have the hinge and also came from Backcountry.

Hi guys, Nick Smith jr here. A customer notified me about this post and i thought i would have a look. I have not been made aware of any issues with our gas tank straps during normal use of our planes. We do make them differently now for unrelated reasons. If any one has any concerns I would be happy to modify there old ones at no charge. Our wings are a little heavier but extremely strong. Our last wide body with dual doors, L-21 glass square wing and 31" bush wheels came in at 1180 LBS. 70 ft take off and 60 ft landing. So that seams pretty good. If anyone has any further questions pllease let me know.
Thanks Nick
BBI Aviation
519-461-0274

Thanks for chiming in Nick! I will be giving you guys a call either today or tomorrow to talk wings.

Thanks, looking forward to the call. Hi Dave, just 4" wider frame. We have built about 120 of the wide body kits. out of the 175 planes kits we have delivered. I think there pretty well known. They kind of fit guys like me that have wide bodies.

Nick. specifically speak to the 1180 EW widebody please.

Others I know came out heavier. But, yes we know the wings are strong and the fuel tanks themselves are very strongly fabricated

Nick I appreciate your time yesterday. That was a great phone conversation and I learned a lot about your wings and airframes.

Hi Steve

My best buddy bought a super cub kit from BBI, and that's the max gross weight of his wings, the spars are 0.125 thick, he have his blog on "Member project in progress" New kid on the block: Buzz Cola.

Franky

the spars are 0.125 thick,

Franky

if this is same wing backcountry uses/sells? I just measured rear spar thickness is 0.080" in web of rear spar.... 0.093" that includes some thickness of paint..... these are also 2400lb wings i think...

Back