• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Firmin Cargo Pod (Alaska Bushpod) has arrived!

The top of my pod has a lip which I had to contour to fit the belly - the top panel is below the lip. You could plumb in some elbows and move the drains out to the side of the pod. That would keep it out of the cargo area. I'd be kind of nervous about having a possible leak above the pod.

That's a good idea. I have a metal belly* so access is easy. I could move them straight back, beyond the end of the pod. That would maintain a downward slope to the lines and the distance needed would only be about 16-inches.

* Actually the airplane has a metal belly. Mine is not that firm any more!

Last edited:
Factory assist, so @ the Legend facility in TX. I'll be there for weeks at a time at various stages in the project. Build most likely begins in June.
We're still in planning, but I don't anticipate problems with modifying as needed. Darin seems easy to work with.

Who’s building the experimental Cub? It doesn’t sound like you’ll have much say in it.

Ref the time of year, or beginning the build? :p
Darin was apologetic about starting in the heat of summer, but it is what it is. After years working in 120F+ sandy places, I at first figured - "No problem!" Then I got to thinking about the fact that I'm now adjusted to coastal AK temps.

Perhaps I'll put on some music while I'm working...

iu

June will be fun. ;)

Don’t worry, its a dry heat. East Texas is dry for sure. Ha ha.
I was ready to leave this April.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How long is the build assist process expected to take? How “custom” can you make the build? I’m a little familiar with Carbon Cub options but have no idea what Legend offers.

They provide 28 days of labor; we'll do the rest. Should be done in Dec or Jan.
Much more "customizable" than CC. Darin seems willing to incorporate most of what I can come up with, barring changing the dimensions of wings and frame.
You can see some of the off the shelf options here, but he seems willing/able to do most of what I'm asking. Will update as things progress.

MOAC | Legend Aircraft

How long is the build assist process expected to take? How “custom” can you make the build? I’m a little familiar with Carbon Cub options but have no idea what Legend offers.

Last edited:
Makes sense.Use the lower drains as is the lowest point of the fuel system.Our 185 belly pod has a top skin and we made holes thru this to use the fuel drains.Do not seem to get water inside the pod from outside,but we also drilled a few holes through the floor as well.
The Legend MOAC has a belly drain. I'll be cutting the lid for draining from inside the pod.

Can you post the CG chart or numbers for the pod? I'm interested in calculating various loads at front and back "thirds." Maybe I'm overthinking it, but the pod on the Skywagon is pretty long and loading front or back does make a difference.

Just put one on my J3. Bob makes a really nice carbon experimental pod that's only 15lbs. Denny helped put it on and was amazed at how much lighter it is than the normal one.

BTW I can help folks source those pods so for those looking just send me a PM and I'll see if I can help.

Here's the CG chart from the flight manual suppliment:

W&Bbushpod.PNG

Hopefully that helps. You can PM or email me and I can send you the full FMS if you need a larger version of that page.

Attachments

• W&Bbushpod.PNG
    W&Bbushpod.PNG
    109.9 KB · Views: 205
Awesome!
This is for the larger experimental pod? (Not that there’s that much difference in overall size)
I thought they were now down to about 15 lbs of carbon fiber. This says 25.

Here's the CG chart from the flight manual suppliment:

View attachment 59896

Hopefully that helps. You can PM or email me and I can send you the full FMS if you need a larger version of that page.

That's from the STC which is only for the certified regular size pod. Should translate to the jumbo pod since it's just 4" deeper but not longer at all.

25lbs is the maximum weight for the certified pod. Most come in at lower usually 23lbs on the last few I've weighed. The experimental pods come in quite a bit lighter as Bob can leave out the gelcoat interior finish and go with a lighter single ply lid. Those are 15-16lbs for the standard size experimental and 18-19lbs for the jumbo pod.

Looking at both the Airglass cargo pod, and Firmin Pod for my Scout. I see the Airglass is more common on the Scout. Anyone have experience with the Scout/Firmin combination?

Looking at both the Airglass cargo pod, and Firmin Pod for my Scout. I see the Airglass is more common on the Scout. Anyone have experience with the Scout/Firmin combination?
Welcome to Supercub.org, Akrosmith! Your first post....AWESOME! This is a great place to be.

One thing I would suggest you to consider is what will end up being the taildragger that you will use in the future. I know you are excited about that beautiful Scout, and you can't wait to take advantage of the world of aviation that this will open to you! I'm excited for you, too. I would suggest that you keep in mind that the vision of your mission with this bird is just beginning to gel. I happen to know that you happen to move from airplane to airplane, and you may want to consider a different airplane as your mission becomes more clear.

I bought a cargo pod for my super cub many moons ago and it really changed the capabilities of my airplane, and what missions I can accomplish or even contemplate. For my cub, it was a terrific investment.

I mention this because I have seen some great people buy a cub, put significant $$ into it and then move to another airplane that better fits their mission and they don't get the money out of it.

Just a thought.

Thanks for joining us, looking forward to seeing you become integrated into this awesome group of people.

Randy

Crash, Jr-
Any known issues with folks running the larger experimental pod and skis?
J

That's from the STC which is only for the certified regular size pod. Should translate to the jumbo pod since it's just 4" deeper but not longer at all.

25lbs is the maximum weight for the certified pod. Most come in at lower usually 23lbs on the last few I've weighed. The experimental pods come in quite a bit lighter as Bob can leave out the gelcoat interior finish and go with a lighter single ply lid. Those are 15-16lbs for the standard size experimental and 18-19lbs for the jumbo pod.

My Alaska bush pod is 25lbs heavier. Weighed the cub and then with it still on scales weighed with the pod.

My Alaska bush pod is 25lbs heavier. Weighed the cub and then with it still on scales weighed with the pod.

According to my Alaska Bush Pod Flight m=Manual Supplement it weighs 25 lbs, has 9.5 cubic feet of cargo capacity and will hold a payload of 150 lbs.

None that I've heard of. If it's real deep you may drag the pod a little in the snow but it won't damage anything.

Do you know if running the larger pod results in the “enhanced” aerodynamics with a + knot or two in cruise, or is the deeper pod draggier?
Any other thoughts on getting that one over the regular for our our experimental PA-18?

Last edited:
Not Gabe
No reports of slower cruise or issues on skis that I have heard of but that is a great question. The only downside I have heard is guides just stuff that much more stuff into pod!:wink::wink::wink: I would have one on a stock cub in a heartbeat!! If you are building a 90-100 mph cub I would say that is the way to go. Most cubs that fly over 100 mph don't have a lot of bush mods. If you are trying to get old man camp back home Cubic inches is king.
DENNY

Attachments

• IMG_3401.JPG
    IMG_3401.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Did indeed arrive at these weights. 20 lbs 8 oz after painting to match. Beautiful workmanship. See post #46 in my build thread.

https://www.supercub.org/forum/showthread.php?61135-Legend-Cub-build&p=845091&viewfull=1#post845091

IMG_3586.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3586.jpg
    IMG_3586.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 56
They should list it as a "speed mod" as mines good for a couple mph.
YEP! i think I gained a little speed with mine. Earlier posts here mentioned allowing for fuel drains..., this is what I did for my 12..IMG_0821.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0821.jpg
    IMG_0821.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 48
Back