• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Trig ty91 vhf radio

TMAP wires in my install were shielded twisted tefzel, probably less than a 12 inch run. I'm fairly certain they are connected where they should be.

I went flying today and pulled the transponder breaker and the background tic went away. So what do I need to do to fix the problem.

Separate your coax cables. Make sure you have a coax made from RG-400 cable and that the cable ends are secure/properly installed. Is your transponder antenna on the belly and on a metal panel? Do the transponder and com/intercom share a ground stud? If so, temporarily remove the transponder ground and connect it as close to the battery ground as possible.

Web

I know for sure they share the same ground stud. The transponder antenna is on the belly, I used the boot cowl as my metal panel. I think I used the RG-400 for my com but RG-58 for transponder. It might be the opposite can't remember now without looking.
Good to know what I need to look at first. The cables may cross each other under the panel going to the remote units mounted.

I used RG-400 for both the TY91 Com and TT22 Transponder. Comm antenna located at top left wing root fairing, transponder antenna lower Cowl. TN70 WASS GPS antenna is at top right wing root fairing. I added a field of tabs to centralize all the grounds and ran a 6GA from the tab plate to the battery ground. To increase the ground field of the Com antenna I used 3M 1245 3/4" copper foil tape between the fuel cover panel seams with the wing root fairings and my metal top deck. Probably overkill but all my little noises vanished.

Being the most recent Trig ty91 related forum post, couple questions. When you installed your Trigs did you use the factory prebuilt wiring harness or did you make your own? Has anyone had success with the Trig combined with the Advanced Aircraft Electronics vhf 5 antenna that is placed in the fuselage? Or is everyone using the wing faring as a grounding plane? If so recommend antenna?

Thanks for the help, working on a new install. First time working with Trig products

I made my own harness and used the exiting RAMI AV-529 Antenna that was located on the forward left wing fairing. I used copper foil tape to increase the ground field between the fairings and fuel tank covers.

Always make my own harnesses, but, that's part of my business, lol. Internal antennas work best in wood or non conductive composite aircraft. Ferrous metal of the tubes in a Cub degrades the antenna's abilities. As for an external antenna, the Comant CI 121 works as well as anything. I've also had good luck with the old school 'coat hanger' antennas like the RAMI AV-534. While the wing root fairing isn't ideal, it has worked for lots of years and is safer than mounting on the fuel tank covers. I use a ground plane of stainless screen glued to the inside of the fabric on the fuselage back. Then mount the antenna on a fabricated bracket bracket. But that works best during a recover project.

Web

Always make my own harnesses, but, that's part of my business, lol. Internal antennas work best in wood or non conductive composite aircraft. Ferrous metal of the tubes in a Cub degrades the antenna's abilities. As for an external antenna, the Comant CI 121 works as well as anything. I've also had good luck with the old school 'coat hanger' antennas like the RAMI AV-534. While the wing root fairing isn't ideal, it has worked for lots of years and is safer than mounting on the fuel tank covers. I use a ground plane of stainless screen glued to the inside of the fabric on the fuselage back. Then mount the antenna on a fabricated bracket bracket. But that works best during a recover project.

Web

Appreciate the imput and guidance.

Back