Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stuck in the middle of nowhere, alone...

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BC12D-4-85 View Post
    Some of us were spoiled as kids. We camped and played survival games in the back yard

Gary
    i remember one of those nights, was the night Elvis had died.... came over the radio...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BC12D-4-85 View Post
    Some of us were spoiled as kids. We camped and played survival games in the back yard or in the nearby woods. Hunting-fishing-trapping-hiking-exploring were weekly year round events. That's not as easy to do now with the potential for criminal activity and helicopter parenting. Plus go to the middle of nowhere and you're often likely to meet an "end of the roader" escaping for a good reason.

Gary
    I was fortunate to grow up on the Nushagak Bay prodding around Bradford Creek, Gurtlers and all points down the beach. It’s funny how you see some folks in the far off villages that stand out like a sore thumb trying to talk like a native and wearing sweatpants with a village name down the side. I remember a few got run out by locals. When I was a kid a guy who was hiding from the law had a concealed camp on the lower arm of Lake Nerka. He apparently had been there a while and had a girlfriend from Aleknagik to help with his supplies. IIRC a local pilot spotted the camp and returned with the State Park Ranger (Hourihan) and was arrested. My dad and I found the camp, you woulda never known he was there. Some kinda big military shelter stuffed with a layer of grass. Nice stove and loft to boot.
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Camping doesn't take much but it takes the right much. Just go out and spend a night with an improvised shelter and experimental products to retain body heat. Tomorrow there will be a long list of gotta' haves plus food and water. Local climatology informs on what will work. A day at Alaska's Redfish Bay on south Baranof Island in a monsoon rain vs the Colville River on the North Slope summer and winter demands adaption. I never suffered but have spent time floating on an air mattress in a flooded tent in SE Alaska or under tarps at -50F on the Noatak River.

What really informs are the early immigrants to North America and how they transversed the Arctic's arc from NE Siberia ~15K years ago+. Animal skins for clothing, killed and harvested for food, and shelters carried as they travelled or hunkered down for the winter. Tough tough tough but that was quite normal for them. Read Ernest Burch for details: https://www.alaska.edu/uapress/brows...dex.xml?id=279

Gary
    Likes arcticairalaska liked this post

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1213.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	132.7 KB 
ID:	52235

Guess what just went live beta even up here, I thought it was only down south so far.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    “End of the roaders” is an interesting phenomenon for sure. Flew quite a few SWAT team flights going after some of them. Anybody remember Gary Newcomb from the late 80’s? Before they caught him in Anchorage after shooting two APD officers at the barber college I flew the SWAT team to Kenai twice after he was spotted. First time he outran a police dog in North Kenai and escaped into the woods. This was in February. About two weeks later we went back down and they had him cornered on the banks of the Kenai River - he jumped in and swam across. Trooper Colonel was waiting for the team at the hangar when we got back to Anchorage. Heard some rather colorful language that night......

Post Thanks / Like
    Duct tape, bailing wire, water, food, gun, fishing pole-could turn into a vacation.
    Quote Originally Posted by cubflier View Post
    The Garmin inReach has become the pacifier for the incompetent, unprepared backcountry pilot. Garmin really should have shaped the antenna like a nipple and make sucking on that thing (until rescue arrives) the way to activate rescue feature rather than the current activation scheme. This way you can't hear the ill prepared pilot crying about fearing an overnight stay in a place that the pilot chose to land.

Jerry
    Likes mam90, Crash, Jr. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mam90 View Post
    “End of the roaders” is an interesting phenomenon for sure......
    Read up sometime about Claude Dallas.
    Modern day (1970's & 80's) "mountain man" & outlaw.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claude_Dallas
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod180 View Post
    Read up sometime about Claude Dallas.
    Modern day (1970's & 80's) "mountain man" & outlaw.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claude_Dallas
    There is and was nothing admirable about that dirt bag Claude Dallas, trust me.

MTV
    Thanks spinner2 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mvivion View Post
    There is and was nothing admirable about that dirt bag Claude Dallas, trust me.

MTV
    Absolutely correct!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk