• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Stuck in the middle of nowhere, alone...

Below is not directed necessarily at OP, but to any inexperienced pilot drawn to the idea of exploring remote areas in their plane. Also, I may echo what’s already been written. If so, maybe it’s worth something?

It’s been an interesting [frustrating] development with the explosion of backcountry flying’s popularity and the subsequent “experts” rising up in places like YouTube. Some of these guys have little actual time functioning comfortably on the ground in the kinds of areas we’re discussing.

There’s frequently focus on what best equipment to have, as if one can buy their way to competence and safety and preparedness. Often that equipment is packed into massive kits or vests, with the promise that the bearer can handle most conceivable emergencies if they just get this or that.

It isn’t so. Preconfigured mindset and applicable knowledge/experience are what contribute the most to remote area safety and determining the outcome of a emergency situation (is it an an emergency?). Yes - Having appropriate proven, tested equipment is great when coupled with that know-how.

Many here have spent years in the bush, grown up or worked in it, and carry the knowledge of how to not just survive adversity or challenge or systems failure, but to thrive. Big difference. Additionally, it’s usually instilled early on how to minimize the likelihood of an emergency. Most of us coming out of the military or gov agencies had to scramble through training designed to stave off or smooth the edges of those unplanned “events,” but most anyone can figure it out with some mentors and humility and patience, coupled with the discipline to perhaps learn some new ways to approach flying and self reliance.

General prep, in no particular order: Take some wilderness first aid and travel courses so you know what’s appropriate to carry and what isn’t, and how to use it; learn to fix your plane and carry some tools to do so (and learn what you shouldn’t attempt to fix in the field...); understand the difference b/t an emergency and an inconvenience (most “events” are inconveniences); understand how SAR works and why; know how to establish a safe camp with apex predators about (mosquitoes and white sox included here, FYI); understand and be equipped to deal with the challenges of heat, cold, hunger, thirst, injuries, wildlife, etc.; ensure your craft is well-maintained; keep responsible parties briefed on your plans and have a way to notify/modify when plans change; don’t take unnecessary risks.

And finally - know how to fly the plane, and don’t take your own word for it. If USFW, DOD, seasoned backcountry charter ops, or other remote area outfits require regional and environment-specific check rides for even the most experienced pilots, why buck the trend?!
My personal process is to acknowledge I’m probably pretty crappy at something in the beginning and I always seek out pilots better than me to show me what I’m doing wrong, in the environment in which I’m intending to travel. Let THEM tell you if you’re good.

Final thought: If a pilot isn’t comfortable and competent traveling on the ground in the area they’re intensively flying over to explore, why are they even there? That machine is going to do what machines eventually do and it’s going to end up on the ground in an unplanned “event” at some point. Know it and be prepared to deal with it without expecting somebody else to step in and do it in our stead, because even with today’s amazing comm devices, it may be a while...

Bring a book.

Got my first electronic reader this year, when I think of all the paperbacks I've carried around for years when on XC's in light planes and even ultralights (a major safety aid, I don't want to push WX because I'm real bored, so good reading material is always a given for me, as much as gas). I wish I would have gotten one sooner.

Got my first electronic reader this year, when I think of all the paperbacks I've carried around for years when on XC's in light planes and even ultralights (a major safety aid, I don't want to push WX because I'm real bored, so good reading material is always a given for me, as much as gas). I wish I would have gotten one sooner.
Books don't need batteries! :p

I carry a C Crane pocket radio on all my trips. Those AA batteries last a while and you can listen to some pretty interesting radio stations broadcasting music and news.

When I was 16, had a learning permit to fly and was taking lessons, went on a hunting trip with a friend in a stock PA-12 and had just purchased some 25” Goodyear’s which were the tundra tire of the day. Second day out landing on a sandbar near the Triumvirate glacier he didn’t see a wash gully and took out both gear. Nobody knew where we were. Took 4 days to signal an overflying plane to land. Ron my pilot friend went to town with them to get parts to come back and patch it up to fly it home. I stayed there, thought he would be back in a day, It turned out to be 4 days. Another two days to put gear under it, brace up frame and new prop.

Learned a lot about having to survive and take care of yourselves. There are friends of mine that we never have found. I think it would be good in private pilot training to have applicant spend one night out with what they have with them in the plane.

mam90 knows the characters involved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I carry a C Crane pocket radio on all my trips. Those AA batteries last a while and you can listen to some pretty interesting radio stations broadcasting music and news.

I have a Sirius sat radio, and have been listening to some live news from NYC, while also landing a mountain top. I enjoy the contrasts of the two different things! Take the headset off and get out and look around, a whole different world, then after a short break, I'm back in the Big Apple. Nowadays I always fly with a backup start pack, and I can run the Sirius direct off it for days plus recharge my Kindle and phone, maybe even use it to restart the plane but never have needed to.

I was surprised to find the Kindle offers such a "book like" experience, as a huge real book reader also. the Kindle can go days on a charge, and is quickly and low currently recharged if needed while still out in the boonies. It electrical draw is amazingly low, and.....you don't need a light in the tent at night to read one! I got it when the local thrift stores where I buy my used paperbacks, shut down because of Covid, and quickly became a fan of the e reading concept. Still have real books too though.

Can you use your Kindle to start a fire, like book pages?

Maps can. And toilet paper. And avgas drained from the wing. And the airport supplement. And tree branches. And supplies carried specifically for that purpose. I'm guessing that if the plane survived the incident well enough that you can recover a book from the wreckage, there are all sorts of other options for starting a fire. And the Kindle can be hundreds of books in one, the battery lasts forever, and I don't need to use my headlamp battery to read it at night when it's dark more than 12 hours per day. But...to each their own.

Can you use your Kindle to start a fire, like book pages?

That's what sectionals are for.
And for shading the windshield when tied down.
Also what I use the sump drain for, the sample cup's fuel makes a pretty good fire starter, though I suppose it's also good for checking for water. I am a big and long time paper book guy, it feels weird to defend e readers! Keeping it purely on a weight per available reading time scale, e readers rule, by far. Mine also tells me the time, paper books don't, and I no longer need a bookmark. The single biggest drawback so far, is there is nothing to shove in the bookshelves when done with it, it's pretty much deleted to make room for the next download, one reason right there that paper books are not going anywhere. This is coming from a guy with a 500 plus book aviation library, dating back to 1909.

Attachments

• img049.jpg
    img049.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
And... I just searched Amazon Prime, and damn it I could download it to my Kindle, with the original cover, which my cop lacks, no less, and I thought I had a super rare/few had it copy! This right here shows the power of e readers, scary. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=How+to+build+a+20-foot+Bi+plane+glider+by&i=digital-text&ref=nb_sb_noss

LOL. I have more than 1000 physical books in my small library.

But my electronic library has 12000+ volumes. Many of them are scans of things printed in the 16th or 17th century. No way could I reference them in physical form because the originals are in France or London or New York, etc.

Scary indeed, but pretty cool, too.

But, to my dismay, I have an old large format Kindle DX that won't hold a charge. But if I plug it into one of those little battery packs for phones, it will last for probably 3 months. You can read full size pdfs with ease on it.

On the subject of electronic readers (I'm drifting - I know):

Has anyone considered scanning a copy of F.E. Potts book and making it available to interested parties? I know it's copyrighted but if it's being withheld from publication and it's out of the price range of most people, why not?

Some of us earned our living getting stuck in the middle of nowhere....sometimes alone as well. It's mainly a mental thing to prepare for when it happens assuming the right gear is with.

Gary

Some of us earned our living getting stuck in the middle of nowhere....sometimes alone as well. It's mainly a mental thing to prepare for when it happens assuming the right gear is with.

Gary

Some of us actually preferred it.....

MTV

Gary
I call those places somewhere!!! Its amazing what you learn about a place when sjitty weather has you on the ground . Ive taken some of my best pictures in the for. Peregrine falcon perched of a tree root that cane from the upper mackenzie river. She is hoping the fog is going to lift enough to do a buzz job on about 300 Dunlins so there will be dinner tonight.

sandy

I have not established relationships with backcountry anyone in my area of even know if they exist (Southwest Richmond, VA area)

Join the Recreational Aviation Foundation (https://theraf.org/) and reach out to the local members. I'm positive that they will welcome you and be more than happy to introduce you to backcountry opportunities in your area. The Airfield Guide (https://airfield.guide) is a great source of information

Start out flying locally with others who know the area around you. Take some small steps, gain experience and confidence before jumping in to the deep end. Trial and error your kit based on the recommendation provided above and your actual usage.

There are lots of folks that will be pleased to join you as you venture further from home - just ask. Have fun, but ensure someone responsible knows what your plan is, try to keep in touch via the InReach, and focus on staying safe.

Some of us were spoiled as kids. We camped and played survival games in the back yard or in the nearby woods. Hunting-fishing-trapping-hiking-exploring were weekly year round events. That's not as easy to do now with the potential for criminal activity and helicopter parenting. Plus go to the middle of nowhere and you're often likely to meet an "end of the roader" escaping for a good reason.

Gary

Some of us were spoiled as kids. We camped and played survival games in the back yard or in the nearby woods. Hunting-fishing-trapping-hiking-exploring were weekly year round events. That's not as easy to do now with the potential for criminal activity and helicopter parenting. Plus go to the middle of nowhere and you're often likely to meet an "end of the roader" escaping for a good reason.

Gary

I was fortunate to grow up on the Nushagak Bay prodding around Bradford Creek, Gurtlers and all points down the beach. It’s funny how you see some folks in the far off villages that stand out like a sore thumb trying to talk like a native and wearing sweatpants with a village name down the side. I remember a few got run out by locals. When I was a kid a guy who was hiding from the law had a concealed camp on the lower arm of Lake Nerka. He apparently had been there a while and had a girlfriend from Aleknagik to help with his supplies. IIRC a local pilot spotted the camp and returned with the State Park Ranger (Hourihan) and was arrested. My dad and I found the camp, you woulda never known he was there. Some kinda big military shelter stuffed with a layer of grass. Nice stove and loft to boot.

Camping doesn't take much but it takes the right much. Just go out and spend a night with an improvised shelter and experimental products to retain body heat. Tomorrow there will be a long list of gotta' haves plus food and water. Local climatology informs on what will work. A day at Alaska's Redfish Bay on south Baranof Island in a monsoon rain vs the Colville River on the North Slope summer and winter demands adaption. I never suffered but have spent time floating on an air mattress in a flooded tent in SE Alaska or under tarps at -50F on the Noatak River.

What really informs are the early immigrants to North America and how they transversed the Arctic's arc from NE Siberia ~15K years ago+. Animal skins for clothing, killed and harvested for food, and shelters carried as they travelled or hunkered down for the winter. Tough tough tough but that was quite normal for them. Read Ernest Burch for details: https://www.alaska.edu/uapress/browse/detail/index.xml?id=279

Gary

“End of the roaders” is an interesting phenomenon for sure. Flew quite a few SWAT team flights going after some of them. Anybody remember Gary Newcomb from the late 80’s? Before they caught him in Anchorage after shooting two APD officers at the barber college I flew the SWAT team to Kenai twice after he was spotted. First time he outran a police dog in North Kenai and escaped into the woods. This was in February. About two weeks later we went back down and they had him cornered on the banks of the Kenai River - he jumped in and swam across. Trooper Colonel was waiting for the team at the hangar when we got back to Anchorage. Heard some rather colorful language that night......

Duct tape, bailing wire, water, food, gun, fishing pole-could turn into a vacation.
The Garmin inReach has become the pacifier for the incompetent, unprepared backcountry pilot. Garmin really should have shaped the antenna like a nipple and make sucking on that thing (until rescue arrives) the way to activate rescue feature rather than the current activation scheme. This way you can't hear the ill prepared pilot crying about fearing an overnight stay in a place that the pilot chose to land.

Jerry

Food will help you stay comfortable, but it's not necessary in an aviation survival situation. Read Helen Klaben's "Hey I'm Alive!" if you don't buy that. 49 days in winter in northern Yukon/BC. No food.

MTV

I reread this book this week. The days are getting longer but the nights are longer yet and good for reading. It is an amazing story.
2150945B-7960-441C-AAEE-994421C74CFF.jpeg
We got our copy at a library sale for $.50.

A2B40D02-BC5B-4314-A800-8503B8BD4194.jpeg

If I’m following the location correctly they went down west of Aeroplane Lake, shown bottom center in this image of the Fort Nelson sectional. I’ve seen the lake spelled Airplane Lake elsewhere. Rescuers landed on this lake and snowshoed to their camp. They were spotted by a new pilot flying supplies to a hunting camp in the Trench. Ralph had stomped out a big SOS in the snow.

Another similar story that is next is Bob Gauchie’s diary. He got lost in a Beaver in 1967 over the NWT in the winter and was out 59 days!

8452EE27-33FD-4DF2-86A3-F8679654ED59.jpg

Attachments

• 2150945B-7960-441C-AAEE-994421C74CFF.jpeg
    2150945B-7960-441C-AAEE-994421C74CFF.jpeg
    124.2 KB · Views: 217
  • A2B40D02-BC5B-4314-A800-8503B8BD4194.jpeg
    A2B40D02-BC5B-4314-A800-8503B8BD4194.jpeg
    264.3 KB · Views: 205
  • 8452EE27-33FD-4DF2-86A3-F8679654ED59.jpg
    8452EE27-33FD-4DF2-86A3-F8679654ED59.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 200
Back