• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

CC18 Third Seat?

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
Did the CC-18 TC have the third seat on it, or is it an option? I have the third seat option in my PA-18 (no, I don't use it) but was just curious what they did on the CC-18.

sj

Steve, there are no seat belt attach points in the baggage compartment, and the POH doesn’t suggest three seats, but the main baggage is listed at 180 pounds, so I assume the reinforcements are there. The actual third seat would require a field approval or STC since the CC 18 is on a different TC from the PA 18.

MTV

Steve, there are no seat belt attach points in the baggage compartment, and the POH doesn’t suggest three seats, but the main baggage is listed at 180 pounds, so I assume the reinforcements are there. The actual third seat would require a field approval or STC since the CC 18 is on a different TC from the PA 18.

MTV

Thanks, Mike. I've just noticed on a couple of CC-18's that they have "leg room" around the passenger seat, so I wondered.

sj

Thanks, Mike. I've just noticed on a couple of CC-18's that they have "leg room" around the passenger seat, so I wondered.

sj
That is for the instructor in the training version. The instructor sits there, then the two students go in the two front seats. Saves time getting in and out to switch seats. 8)

That is for the instructor in the training version. The instructor sits there, then the two students go in the two front seats. Saves time getting in and out to switch seats. 8)

Dang, I never thought of that! We could have spooled up production if I’d thought of that....

MTV

From the POH:

MAXIMUM PASSENGER SEATING CONFIGURATION

The CC18
-180 is approved to carry one passenger, seated behind the pilot.

Main baggage is placarded at 180 lbs, aft baggage is placarded at 20 lbs, underseat storage bin (under rear seat) placarded at 5 lbs.

More information than you ever wanted to know.

MTV

MTV

Following this up...all the standard mods that are STC-ed for PA-18s are not applicable to CC-18s. The DOI operations in Alaska hav a bunch of CC-18s and there are some simple things, like a stick cover for the rear stick, that seem like small things that end up taking quite a long process to get approved and installed. Or a bent flap handle, also took a long time.

CC-18s are great for what we do. If you need a heavy duty cub then it is a great ride. But if you want a lightweight modifiable plane you can tweak and hone, a PA-18 has more options for you.

Following this up...all the standard mods that are STC-ed for PA-18s are not applicable to CC-18s. The DOI operations in Alaska hav a bunch of CC-18s and there are some simple things, like a stick cover for the rear stick, that seem like small things that end up taking quite a long process to get approved and installed. Or a bent flap handle, also took a long time.

CC-18s are great for what we do. If you need a heavy duty cub then it is a great ride. But if you want a lightweight modifiable plane you can tweak and hone, a PA-18 has more options for you.

Yes, part of the issue is the CC-18-180 is a Part 23 airplane, not a CAR 3 airplane.

Did they ever figure out how to stop the engine from quitting in cold weather when pushing the throttle up from near idle? That got my attention at low level once.....learned to avoid that quickly.....

I'd agree with the "heavy" part. Every one I've met (four to date) have weighed over 1300 empty. As far as heavy duty, most parts seem to be basically Super Cub parts......

MTV

Yes, part of the issue is the CC-18-180 is a Part 23 airplane, not a CAR 3 airplane.

Did they ever figure out how to stop the engine from quitting in cold weather when pushing the throttle up from near idle? That got my attention at low level once.....learned to avoid that quickly.....

I'd agree with the "heavy" part. Every one I've met (four to date) have weighed over 1300 empty. As far as heavy duty, most parts seem to be basically Super Cub parts......

MTV

They had already been through that when I started flying them, and apparently they grounded them all and then swapped out for a different carburetor. Whatever that carb is, it has apparently worked, I am not aware of a reoccurrence. It pulls nearly 18 gph during takeoff, which seems super rich, and supposedly that is purposeful because that was thought to be part of the problem.

Follow-up regarding heavy duty...pilot hit an eagle in flight two years ago with one of the wings. The difference in the wings is pretty astounding. There are no PK screws, it is all riveted. The wing took massive leading edge trauma just outside of the tank bay, successful emergency landing, and there was no damage to any tubes, to the spars, unbelievably stout construction. But to do the repair, all ribs had to be removed in to the damaged area, which was all rivet removal so it was labor intensive.

They had already been through that when I started flying them, and apparently they grounded them all and then swapped out for a different carburetor. Whatever that carb is, it has apparently worked, I am not aware of a reoccurrence. It pulls nearly 18 gph during takeoff, which seems super rich, and supposedly that is purposeful because that was thought to be part of the problem.

I figured that was the problem. I looked at ours, and the carburetor was a different dash number than the Husky uses, otherwise similar. Husky never did that, so I assumed that was the issue. They were "researching" the issue when I left the school.

MTV

Some notes I had. Might be the wrong engine model.
Lycoming O-360-A4P Carburetor
Comes with 10-3878 but needs 10-4164
Runs rough upon advancing the throttle.

Some notes I had. Might be the wrong engine model.
Lycoming O-360-A4P Carburetor
Comes with 10-3878 but needs 10-4164
Runs rough upon advancing the throttle.

Steve, in cold weather, they don’t run rough.....they quit. My first experience with this phenomenon was at 200 feet, having just located a radio equipped wild turkey, with a “student” in the front seat. After visual on said turkey, student shoved throttle up. Engine promptly quit, and prop stopped.

”Okay” says I, “I have the throttle and controls, and I want you to turn that ignition key to the start position and hold it there till the engine starts”. Thankfully, that worked.....but it was close. A lot of experimentation later, I figured out what was happening. That was the end of low level stuff, and I never took my hand off the throttle again while in flight.

No way I’d fly that airplane with that carb again.

CC had no clue.

MTV

This was just a note I ran across recently that I had made. Seems like some either have an issue in cold or hot weather, when the outside temps change the problem goes away. Too many years ago that I dealt with it and don't remember all the details.

Back