• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-18-95 Wing Repair near Ohio

ncourtright

Following a few years of restoration work and an amazing 2 day/12 hr CX flight, we rebased the family Super Cub from Florida to Ohio. Unfortunately, it only made it 3 days in Ohio before my first ever ground loop. We left the runway and tipped up enough to wrinkle about 4' of the right wing. I'm just sick about it but learned a lot.

Any suggestions for shops in or around Ohio proficient with Cub wing repairs and fabric work? I don't have damage details yet but it seems isolated to the right wing. The inspection will be later this week. No prop strike thankfully. Worst case, I could pull the wing and run it back to the shop in Florida who did the restoration work. Appreciate any suggestions or leads.

Thanks,
Nick

Attachments

• SuperCubWing.jpg
    SuperCubWing.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 277
Worst case, I could pull the wing and run it back to the shop in Florida who did the restoration work. Appreciate any suggestions or leads.

Thanks,
Nick
From the picture, there is no need to pull the wing to get it to any shop. Fly it there, do the repairs on the airplane. There doesn't appear to be spar damage. Even if there is, it is minor.

From the picture, there is no need to pull the wing to get it to any shop. Fly it there, do the repairs on the airplane. There doesn't appear to be spar damage. Even if there is, it is minor.

Fingers crossed your right. We'll get a scope in there shortly. There's about 1.5" upward deflection where the rear of the wing bow meets the aileron. Thanks

Look at the rear spar where the lift strut attach fitting is bolted. If the spar is damaged you will see it there. Might just be the outboard false spar and some rib damage. Doesn't look to serious.

Following a few years of restoration work and an amazing 2 day/12 hr CX flight, we rebased the family Super Cub from Florida to Ohio. Unfortunately, it only made it 3 days in Ohio before my first ever ground loop. We left the runway and tipped up enough to wrinkle about 4' of the right wing. I'm just sick about it but learned a lot.

Any suggestions for shops in or around Ohio proficient with Cub wing repairs and fabric work? I don't have damage details yet but it seems isolated to the right wing. The inspection will be later this week. No prop strike thankfully. Worst case, I could pull the wing and run it back to the shop in Florida who did the restoration work. Appreciate any suggestions or leads.

Thanks,
Nick

Nick,

Where is the airplane at?

Tim

You might also look around in the Wilmington area, there were a lot of A&P’s at AirBorne that worked on small aircraft on the side. That doesn’t look too bad, may get away just opening the fabric a little and peeling it bad. Good luck.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I got hooked up with Paul Workman at Bedrock Aero (http://www.bedrockaero.com) in Zanesville, Ohio. Awesome guy and knows his stuff dealing with fabric. We pulled the wing Friday. Both spars are good but I'm going to need 3 ribs and an aileron. Hopefully be all back together sooner than later. I'll keep you posted.

Back