• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Aft fuselage metal belly

attachment.php
see the 2 round ones, my OPINION is dont do it, a bitch to work through. or put them in but dont cut them out, would way rather work through the bottom.

I moved my elevator turnbuckles to under the rear seat from the tail location. Always hated working in the tail to adjust stick position. And safety wire back there.

Last edited:
Totally agreed, the round inspection panels on the side are unsightly and of marginal utility. Didn't catch the part where where you were talking about modifying a covered fuselage.

I think that you could probably install a full tail cleanout pan on a covered fuselage but it would certainly be difficult. Gluing grommets in is for sure a simpler arrangment.

Totally agreed, the round inspection panels on the side are unsightly and of marginal utility. Didn't catch the part where where you were talking about modifying a covered fuselage.

I think that you could probably install a full tail cleanout pan on a covered fuselage but it would certainly be difficult. Gluing grommets in is for sure a simpler arrangment.
Make one grommet but just thinking 9x15 with a web in the center. havent measured it.

Having one of those square inspection holes onthe tail of my cub I would never do that over having a full tail pan to remove. Trying to fiddle with trim cables and stuff without being able to see much and with limited ability to move your hands up in there is the worst. I can't imagine you save much weight putting a couple inspection plates in versus just putting a tail pan on.

WOW!!!! Did we just enter an alternate universe or did you just post you would choose to add weight to a plane for maintenance reasons? I will send you some info on 4 cylinder EGT/CHT insterments. Welcome to the dark side and feel the power of a well cared for aircraft!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

DENNY

WOW!!!! Did we just enter an alternate universe or did you just post you would choose to add weight to a plane for maintenance reasons? I will send you some info on 4 cylinder EGT/CHT insterments. Welcome to the dark side and feel the power of a well cared for aircraft!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

DENNY

And I'll send you my 4 band CHT that I tore out and you can keep it! I think you get me all wrong, I absolutely will add weight where needed (throwing a belly pod on this weekend). Those EGT/CHT/WTF monitors on the other hand...:lol:

Not sure how you would accomplish a bolt in cleanout cover kit. Definitely something to look into though.

I'm just trying to figure out how you would actually get a clamp around the longeron without significant fabric work and an unsightly bulge when it's all done. IMO it would be far better to simply have the forward bracket somewhat wrap the longeron and use a cherrymax or two on each side to hold it to the longeron. That way you could just peel back the bottom cover, rivet it in place, then wrap the fabric back. Once you start peeling the covering back far enough to put 7 or so clamps around the longerons then you may as well just pull the fabric back a little further and just weld the brackets and tabs in place.

Regardless it would be FAR more difficult than just cutting a couple holes for inspection panels in the existing fabric.

Making a two piece clamp that would attach and leave a tab to attach the belly pan would be simple. You shouldn’t need to cut fabric outside of opening up the area between the longerons.

Guess I'll have to take you guy's word on it. I'm not seeing a bunch of clamps on the longerons holding on a tin pan looking all that aesthetic. IMO it's either weld on a proper kit or just do inspection holes.

Last edited:
i take it you guys dont like my idea of a BAG. big *** grommet? glued in to the fabric??:roll:

Last edited:
You carefully put them UNDER FABRIC
Lol yeah I got that part of it. But now you have a bunch of little bumps all over under the fabric. I know function is the point here but on the spectrum of useful/aesthetic I think tempdoug's BAG (big a$$ grommet) approach is better for already covered planes.

But you're the actual mechanic here. If you think it would be a big seller then you should definitely bring a bolt on tailpan kit to market. Could be a big seller.

If a guy wanted to? He could attach tube saddles to the belly pan on one side and clamp tabs for screws on the other. Engage the saddles and tip into place for the screws. Making tabs that wouldn't show wouldn't be hard to do. Or make pivoting saddles on one side that open and close with a pressure screw. The attach fixtures would be 100% attached to the belly pan. No tabs.

Last edited:
OK, You guys have made the little grey cells start working. How about this idea for an already covered fuselage? Make a large trapezoidal shaped reinforcing ring out of 2024-T3 .032". Along the lines of Steve's reinforcing rings shown here.
pa12.jpg Cut a hole in the belly fabric 1-1/2" smaller than the inside dimension of the ring. Cut a 45* at each corner to the inside dimension of the ring. Using a contact cement or whatever you like to use for gluing fabric. Cover the 3" around the inside of the cutout with the glue. Place the ring inside, fold over the 1-1/2", stick it all together. Install the fastener receptacle of your choice on the ring. Tinnermans and PK screws? There are numerous options. Make an aluminum cover plate. Simple. Size it to what ever floats your boat.

It may be easier to fold the crease in the fabric before applying the glue.

Attachments

• pa12.jpg
    pa12.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 170
I like it. How big are you thinking? I really need to replace the crappy plywood grommet in the tail of my J3 with something a little nicer for when I finally get around to fixing the trim pulley

Besides the benefit of exposing parts an under tail metal cover can reduce damage while on skis. Like drop the tail into crusty sharp edged snow or short stiff brush. I had to replace one fabric belly before learning the benefits of protective metal.

Gary

I like it. How big are you thinking? I really need to replace the crappy plywood grommet in the tail of my J3 with something a little nicer for when I finally get around to fixing the trim pulley
Whatever size and shape suits your purpose. If large and you think it is a bit too flexible, you can rivet some stiffeners on the cover plate.

From looking at the abuse the fabric on my tail belly takes I would be cautious about anything that does not have a protected forward lip. Sticks/brush/ice/snow crust can all catch that edge and peel the cover and attached fabric back pretty easy. So I think Skywagon8a is on track with a metal trapezoidal cover however the forward edge should have a bit of a jog and slide into the belly for protection. This would allow most things to just ride over the edge without damage.
DENNY

The length of the metal belly is optional. If I were building mine would cover the bottom of the fuselage to the boot cowl. Seal it with oil resistant weatherstripping. Simplifies cleaning and inspections. Weighs something but lasts longer.

Gary

Hey guys and gals. I’m new on here. So I’m thinking of installing a metal belly under the cabin section. I’ve already installed the aft section for the tail clean out. What are your thoughts. Also has anyone done under the cabin section. Maybe have some pics you could share with me? Thanks Nick

Back