• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Aft fuselage metal belly

Mr. Ed

PNW
I’m putting a metal belly on the aft 3’ of my cub build. I’ve tried to find photos of how it’s formed on the sides where it contacts the tubing but have been unsuccessful. If I roll the edges so it wraps part way around the outside of the tubing, water running down the sides will run into the belly. If I butt it up to the tubing, how could I seal it from water or exhaust fumes?

If anyone has photos or drawings of what you’ve done and ideas on how you would improve upon what you have it would be appreciated.

Mr. Ed

I was going to try and get a photo but my stupid iphone only takes these HEIC photos now that won't upload.

Basically bring the sheet metal to the vertical centerline of the longeron and then roll the edge up slightly to keep the edge sucked up to the longeron. Don't wrap all the way outside, just bring the sheet to the middle of the tube or maybe just a hair past on the sides.

Also, if you don't want to work too hard I know a place to get a prefabbed kit for a lot less than the Atlee kit and the sheet metal is way better built.;-)

I use a radius die in my press brake to form the edges to roll up the longerons. The center has a brake so anything will run to the middle and aft and I wrap my longerons completely when covering. Here is a picture and a photo album link to several. https://photos.app.goo.gl/22EGjpZB6fsPxYnL7
20180328_102000.jpg

Attachments

• 20180328_102000.jpg
    20180328_102000.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 3,362
Thanks Mike. Since my fuselage is 4” wider and I carried the full width back another 3’, the taper of my empennage differs from the “normal”. Atlee kit probably wouldn’t fit so it’s “fun with the magnetic break” or build a roller for the edges. Do you happen to know the purpose of all the holes in the front end of the Atlee belly pan? Too many to be drain holes. Vent holes? Why would that be required?

Pictures. Any water that enters from the pan or above will drain out in 3-point.

Attachments

• 91925151-61E5-4D70-BA3D-88F2771DAE96.jpeg
    91925151-61E5-4D70-BA3D-88F2771DAE96.jpeg
    79.2 KB · Views: 291
  • C42EAB47-F3A7-487F-AE62-8E6898BB9187.jpg
    C42EAB47-F3A7-487F-AE62-8E6898BB9187.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 241
I had considered doing this...but I couldn’t see the benefit in my case....it does give easy access to that section....what else do you guys consider a benefit? Is it for ruggedness in the Bush?

Most of the corrosion I find is the bottom longerons in this area. It gives you access to clean the grit and grime that accumulates in this area and it gives you good access to the trim system and tail spring attachment.

...but I couldn’t see the benefit in my case....it does give easy access to that section....

Wouldn't access for cleaning/maintenance be a benefit? Even if you're not the one doing the cleaning/maintaining, 'easier' equals smaller bill from your A&P.

Web

Makes it easier to find and remove the the pens/pencils, lens covers, batteries, shotgun shells, etc that find their way under the floorboards and bounce back towards the tail of the airplane!! Being able to stick your head in there and take a good close look at everything is also kind of nice.

Jim

Besides excellent access it's a great place to mount the transponder antenna and get that blooming noise generator away from the coms

Thanks to all you folks that responded. Fabricated and installed my version of the metal belly. I did the leading edge a bit different than Atlee or other folks photos. I formed something similar to the D window channel, only deeper. Both edges are rolled and it’s 1” deep. The vertical piece that attaches to the horizontal belly tube was then tig brazed to the U channel. I welded in tabs with nut plates (the long screws are temporary).
753B6C3E-33AB-4AE9-85AE-9ADB12D2C8B6.jpgBE183CDE-6469-4B6F-AE4B-C3DD16A74BC0.jpg87AC58D3-53C3-426B-9DD6-FBB0385C9E6B.jpg

Attachments

• 753B6C3E-33AB-4AE9-85AE-9ADB12D2C8B6.jpg
    753B6C3E-33AB-4AE9-85AE-9ADB12D2C8B6.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 531
  • BE183CDE-6469-4B6F-AE4B-C3DD16A74BC0.jpg
    BE183CDE-6469-4B6F-AE4B-C3DD16A74BC0.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 375
  • 87AC58D3-53C3-426B-9DD6-FBB0385C9E6B.jpg
    87AC58D3-53C3-426B-9DD6-FBB0385C9E6B.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 694
would it work to make a little thicker and a lot larger aluminum rectangle grommet like these or even triangle shaped, could even make a 8 shaped grommet with a center web for added strength.dosent have to be as large as the belly pan is, leaving the bottom stringer in, and just large enough to get both hands up in there to work on stuff. then make a cover to fit like a inspection cover and fasten with screws and clip nuts or screw right into the grommet. if your not in brush i think these pans are a little overkill. was thinking in my allready covered airplane that i might do that. could run a couple L brackets off each side of the bottom stringer with nut plates also for a little more support for the cover.wish i never would have put those round inspection covers on the side under the stab.
pa12.jpg

Last edited:
Got it!!!...actually that all makes sense, I started down that path and must have gotten lazy...my fuselage was primed and I really didn’t want to tig the tabs on....I put the elevator trim in too so I used that as an excuse to be lazy. Yours looks really nice Mr. Ed! Now I have regrets. Oh well, maybe on the next one.

Thanks to all you folks that responded. Fabricated and installed my version of the metal belly. I did the leading edge a bit different than Atlee or other folks photos. I formed something similar to the D window channel, only deeper. Both edges are rolled and it’s 1” deep. The vertical piece that attaches to the horizontal belly tube was then tig brazed to the U channel. I welded in tabs with nut plates (the long screws are temporary).
View attachment 51952View attachment 51953View attachment 51954

what's your plan for the center belly stringer? i don't see it in that front piece..??

Mike,

I hope to have the stringer in place in the next few days. My elevator cables will run under the fuselage tubing. I want to get the fairleads in place first.

...and just large enough to get both hands up in there to work on stuff. then make a cover to fit like a inspection cover and fasten with screws and clip nuts or screw right into the grommet.
Are you a mechanic? How will you see what those hands are doing?

steve, would it work to make a little thicker and a lot larger aluminum rectangle grommet like these or even triangle shaped, could even make a 8 shaped grommet with a center web for added strength.dosent have to be as large as the belly pan is, leaving the bottom stringer in, and just large enough to get both hands up in there to work on stuff. then make a cover to fit like a inspection cover and fasten with screws and clip nuts or screw right into the grommet. if your not in brush i think these pans are a little overkill. was thinking in my allready covered airplane that i might do that. could run a couple L brackets off each side of the bottom stringer with nut plates also for a little more support for the cover.wish i never would have put those round inspection covers on the side under the stab.
pa12.jpg
I guess I need a drawing or something but get the just of what you are saying. I have threatened to install a pan on my covered airplane but just haven't figured it was worth the effort just yet.

Having one of those square inspection holes onthe tail of my cub I would never do that over having a full tail pan to remove. Trying to fiddle with trim cables and stuff without being able to see much and with limited ability to move your hands up in there is the worst. I can't imagine you save much weight putting a couple inspection plates in versus just putting a tail pan on.

Whenever I'm considering the weight of inspection panels for easier maintenance as being excessive I push back from the table and skip pie.

Mike,

I hope to have the stringer in place in the next few days. My elevator cables will run under the fuselage tubing. I want to get the fairleads in place first.

One trick I do if running cables down by fabric is make the cable go ABOVE the center pully, an below the other ones. Keeps cable from slapping the fabric and cutting a hole

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Having one of those square inspection holes onthe tail of my cub I would never do that over having a full tail pan to remove. Trying to fiddle with trim cables and stuff without being able to see much and with limited ability to move your hands up in there is the worst. I can't imagine you save much weight putting a couple inspection plates in versus just putting a tail pan on.

not trying to save weight, and i will not cut up a covered airplane to put a belly pan in, and will not put the 2 round inspection covers on the side like piper did again either under the stabilizer. PO

I guess I need a drawing or something but get the just of what you are saying. I have threatened to install a pan on my covered airplane but just haven't figured it was worth the effort just yet.

going to have to lay underneath with a tape measure some day and do so measuring, these grommets you offer how thick are they?

Back