• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

No chain springs?

-AV8R-

Connecticut
New tailwheel Pilot here... So I’ve heard that some people run chainless on the tailwheel, but I’m curious about running springless. Pros and cons? I just bought my first tailwheel aircraft, and the ferry pilot that delivered it said the springs were stupid soft and made it very difficult to steer without differential braking, so he removed the springs and went with a more direct steering. There is still some slack in the chains, but I did not dislike the ground handling during my five hours of patterns when the aircraft was delivered. I’m a cherokee pilot, so very responsive direct steering is something I’m used to. That being said, I’m sure the springs also serve to protect the chains from breakage, so is running springless a bad idea?

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I would think you will end up bending the steering arm. Call Univair and get the steering springs shown in the PA18 parts manual for the 3200 tailwheel. I fly a lot of different Super Cubs and it is nice to hi the rudder pedal on the grond and the tailwheel move without having to apply brake. I find lots of different springs installed but the Piper springs work the best in my opinion.

I would think you will end up bending the steering arm. Call Univair and get the steering springs shown in the PA18 parts manual for the 3200 tailwheel. I fly a lot of different Super Cubs and it is nice to hi the rudder pedal on the grond and the tailwheel move without having to apply brake. I find lots of different springs installed but the Piper springs work the best in my opinion.

Isn’t the Univair springs slightly bigger than the piper ones? That would help with the bigger tail wheels like the baby bush

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had some NOS piper springs and they matched. Airframes/Bushwheel sells some as well which I have used and they worked the same from my experience.

New tailwheel Pilot here... So I’ve heard that some people run chainless on the tailwheel, but I’m curious about running springless. Pros and cons? I just bought my first tailwheel aircraft, and the ferry pilot that delivered it said the springs were stupid soft and made it very difficult to steer without differential braking, so he removed the springs and went with a more direct steering. There is still some slack in the chains, but I did not dislike the ground handling during my five hours of patterns when the aircraft was delivered. I’m a cherokee pilot, so very responsive direct steering is something I’m used to. That being said, I’m sure the springs also serve to protect the chains from breakage, so is running springless a bad idea?

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

For clarification, are you saying the ferry pilot removed the steering springs and reconnected with a solid cable? That’s a uniquely bad idea if so. As Steve says, get a set of decent springs.

Afew folks completly disconnect the tailwheel steering, whic isn’t legal and generally done off airport.

you might also try a 3214 T steering arm, especially if your steering arms are bent. That improves steering geometry a bit, and provides much stronger steering arms.

MTV

Go back to the stock setup as soon as possible!! No downside to how it came from the factory. I am not sure where the free caster/chainless tailwheel fad came from. It provides less control, improper alignment of the tailwheel when landing, and makes a cub useless on skis. DENNY

A question for those who run chainless....
I'm curious if you remove the spring (p/n 3222) to make the t/w free-castoring?

I have had full caster baby bushwheel for at least 15 years now, most the time I love it. long taxi's on big airports with crosswind not so much. Would I ever go back, nope! I don't normally use skis so that is not an issue and when I have I just put a stock 3200 back on. For off airport on gravel bars it is better IMHO, no feedback through the pedals as you taxi. Not much to ever go wrong with it either.

Unless this is an experimental, there might be insurance implications of modifying the tailwheel setup. I'd get new springs on ASAP.

And if not the proper length (read too short) your tail wheel will not break free like it’s supposed to.

If chains are too tight, rudder hits stops before tailwheel has reached the angle required to break free of the steering arm, which means you have to further stretch the already tight spring to get it there. There’s a happy medium for the spring tension- just a bit tighter than slack is my preference.

I think the tail wheel steering arm has to Be able to reach its stop for the tail wheel to break free. Chains too tight
make this a problem. I had this problem and thought the tail wheel had a problem, was about to take the tail wheel apart. One chain had a little more slack and that side worked fine. Thats when I realized the opposite chain was causing the problem. If you jack up the tail and turn the rudder all the way to one side, if the tail reaches its stop, it will break free easily.

I threw away my chain and springs 4 years ago. Now I know why some women don’t wear bras!

So, I swapped them back to what was on there before my ferry pilot changed it. That being said, it seems the springs take up almost all the distance between the rudder steering arms and the tailwheel arms. There are only about three or four links of chain. the tail wheel seems to operate and break free normally, but I haven't had a chance to actually taxi it and feel it out.

For clarification, are you saying the ferry pilot removed the steering springs and reconnected with a solid cable? That’s a uniquely bad idea if so. As Steve says, get a set of decent springs.

Afew folks completly disconnect the tailwheel steering, whic isn’t legal and generally done off airport.

you might also try a 3214 T steering arm, especially if your steering arms are bent. That improves steering geometry a bit, and provides much stronger steering arms.

MTV

Yes, He removed the springs and just used longer chains without the springs. there was still the right amount of slack and the tailwheel broke free when it was supposed to, I was worried though, that with no dampening in the system eventually the chain or the control arms might break..

Why is a ferry pilot modifying your new airplane?

Believe me, I thought the same thing when he told me. He noted that the springs that were on when he picked it up were so soft that he could not steer while taxiing without differential braking. After re-installing the springs, I could see why. Moving the rudder does nothing until you get to full deflection, then steers the tail wheel 3° to 5° at the most. I just ordered some better springs from Aircraft Spruce. (Compression spring 06-15700) they’re stiffer and a little shorter, so they should provide adequate dampening and steering control.

Believe me, I thought the same thing when he told me. He noted that the springs that were on when he picked it up were so soft that he could not steer while taxiing without differential braking. After re-installing the springs, I could see why. Moving the rudder does nothing until you get to full deflection, then steers the tail wheel 3° to 5° at the most. I just ordered some better springs from Aircraft Spruce. (Compression spring 06-15700) they’re stiffer and a little shorter, so they should provide adequate dampening and steering control.

As Steve advised: Use the correct springs. I would NOT use compression springs....period. Stiffer isn’t the whole story. Those springs can do some damage.

And, don’t ever use that dumb a$& ferry pilot again.

MTV

Disassemble, inspect and lube your tailwheel, I know of several airplanes that are in the 200#+ range and they use springs and works as advertised when lubed and clean. Tim

As Steve advised: Use the correct springs. I would NOT use compression springs....period. Stiffer isn’t the whole story. Those springs can do some damage.

And, don’t ever use that dumb a$& ferry pilot again.

MTV

Hahaha! Ok. He was actually recommended by and had built, tested, and delivered quite a lot of the cubs for Legend. Has something like 18,000 hours or something crazy like that. The springs that were on it were compression springs already, but they were really soft. I don’t know if they were original or not, but I will try the Piper springs linked above. I’m curious, what is so bad about compression springs? I’ve seen them on a bunch of different tail wheel systems. I’m still learning here, so help me understand. How is it they can cause lots of damage?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, Maule Tailwheels use compression springs and Scott/ABW use tension springs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fascinating....

Just some observations,

Anyone who hasn't yet mastered turning a tailwheel aircraft with either rudder or brake alone, isn't quite ready for prime time. Regardless of chronological time in aircraft.
Having said that, I can't imagine someone needing to modify your aircraft for a simple ferry.... heck, by my math, he's modifying an aircraft he's not even familiar with.

Chains? I have them because I'm too lazy to nix them. I own and fly several heavy tailwheel aircraft that free caster, and have yet to experience a negative. Ok, skiis I get, but you still have a rudder. Legalities and proper geometry aside, I can't imagine a good reason to over think them one way or the other. Most guys that are reasonably cub proficient can put their tailwheel exactly where they want it during ground ops regardless of what kind it is, or how it is attached. And I have seen some pretty funky attach methods :lol:

My Stinson has a Scott with compression springs. Can’t say I can tell any difference with the Piper springs in the North Star. As mentioned, they both do the job.

I fly a lot of different Super Cubs. I am use to the Piper springs and I can taxi the airplane in most conditions with the rudder pedals, not having to use brakes. When I taxi a Cub with some cheap, soft springs I have to tap brake and it feels un-natural to me. I like the positive authority of pushing the rudder pedal and the tailwheel following my command. I have become accustomed to a norm that work for Piper and works for me. I am sure there are many other ways, springs etc. but this is what I like.

Back