• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Lift Strut Angle ???

flywheel1935

New members first post,
Hi guys, just after some general information. Currently building a scale 85% Taylorcraft here in the UK. looking at the drawings, the lift strut angle looks a bit shallow at 20 degrees.
What is the angle of a Super Cubs lift strut ??? ( A Super Cub should be my next project). thanks in advance.

If I understand what you are asking for......... I just put a smart level under my forward life strut (on a Supercub) and it showed 22.1 degrees.

Hope this helps

Bill

If I understand what you are asking for......... I just put a smart level under my forward life strut (on a Supercub) and it showed 22.1 degrees.

Hope this helps

Bill
Hi Bill, that's exactly what I was looking for, double checked current plans and 20+ degrees seems OK,( just.)
Have clipped current wing build by 1 bay so hope to get closer to 25 degrees + - though.

What's the planned wing dihedral for your scaled Taylorcraft? Three quarter (Cub) to one degree (Taylorcraft ) is common. Dihedral can affect strut length.

Gary

What's the planned wing dihedral for your scaled Taylorcraft? Three quarter (Cub) to one degree (Taylorcraft ) is common. Dihedral can affect strut length.

Gary
Hi Gary, looking a 1 degree dihedral, strut tube is currently uncut, so will jig wing then cut to suit inc 1-2 degree washout.

That dihedral is good and the washout should be a good starting point. Later play with airspeed and stall behavior. Wash can also be used to accommodate available elevator trim range. Not enough nose down trim in cruise? Add more washout to dump some wing lift. Not enough nose up trim? Reduce washout to add more lift. Are you adding the typical Taylorcraft trim tab on the elevator? Make it duplicate the later models for area as the early pre-war like mine have a smaller size trim tab.

Gary

Here in the UK were modding the LMA Taylorcraft (from Florida) to a new sub 300KG sector, will be using simple trim tabs in the first instance. The plan is to make a STOL wing, that will be retro fitted at a later date, then a new fuselage, so we end up with a full UK sourced product.

Back