• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

26" tire choice

Final note - with 18 psi the airplane taxis just like it did with the 8:00s. You can feel the dramatic difference on touchdown (pavement). Robbie’s STC kit goes on quickly and easily.....For pavement, this is strictly for appearance. And man, is it ugly now. Also harder to get in, and way harder to fuel from portable cans.

Bob, just which tires (and wheels?) did you install?
(and pics please)

A "pic" would break my camera. It no longer looks like a J3.
Grove STC 6:00 wheels and brakes; 26" Goodyear tires, 8:50 tubes. Almost three grand, not counting my labor. The kit is really trivial to install.

A "pavement only" Cub. Fortunately I will be saving all the 8:00x4 stuff.

A "pic" would break my camera. It no longer looks like a J3.
Grove STC 6:00 wheels and brakes; 26" Goodyear tires, 8:50 tubes. Almost three grand, not counting my labor. The kit is really trivial to install.

A "pavement only" Cub. Fortunately I will be saving all the 8:00x4 stuff.

Okay, but Bob, didn't you just get a flush of testosterone the first time you walked up to it....?

:lol: 8)

Nope. My theory is that the size of your tires is inversely proportional to the size of your dick. Especially when operating exclusively on 3000'x150' runways.

They did change the "feel" of the aircraft, and now with half fuel and me, full aft trim is not enough on approach. That is different.

Well, it sounds like you're half owner--
why not put the 800x4 set-up back on your half of the airplane?

Had it that way for a short while - wouldn't fit in the hangar.

There is a serious upside - everybody is out of 8:00x4 tires, but now I have an extra set with at least a year left that I can bolt on my personal Cub. Plus extra brakes!

Nope. My theory is that the size of your tires is inversely proportional to the size of your dick. Especially when operating exclusively on 3000'x150' runways.

Well there's your problem right there. I'd feel a little "inadequate" too if I never took my plane off of an international airport size runway.

Nailed me. I feel no need to prove the size of my cojones by risking routine off-airport operations. Something must be wrong with me. I land off-airport only when absolutely necessary. And even then, the 8:00x4s were more than adequate.

Nailed me. I feel no need to prove the size of my cojones by risking routine off-airport operations. Something must be wrong with me. I land off-airport only when absolutely necessary. And even then, the 8:00x4s were more than adequate.
4C8DB729-65C5-4713-8382-CA202F6BB6D2.jpeg
If mine were this big Bob, I’d run 8.00x4s also;)

Attachments

• 4C8DB729-65C5-4713-8382-CA202F6BB6D2.jpeg
    4C8DB729-65C5-4713-8382-CA202F6BB6D2.jpeg
    311 KB · Views: 262
I have a set of 26” GoodYear blimp tires and tubes in good condition. Located in Anchorage Alaska. Personal Message me about them, I am more likely to get the communication that way.

what spacers are you asking about?

He probably means brake disc spacers. Lots of people think you need them so the brakes don't rub the 26 GY's.

Depends on the discs you have.
I just bought a et of 40-75B wheels to mount my 26" GY's on.
The seller ran 26" GY's on them, & installed disc spacers for clearance.
I suspect my 40-75D wheels that were part of the 199-62 Cleveland kit don't need those spacers.
The difference is that the 40-75D wheels come with discs that are about a quarter-inch deeper.

Depends on the discs you have.
I just bought a et of 40-75B wheels to mount my 26" GY's on.
The seller ran 26" GY's on them, & installed disc spacers for clearance.
I suspect my 40-75D wheels that were part of the 199-62 Cleveland kit don't need those spacers.
The difference is that the 40-75D wheels come with discs that are about a quarter-inch deeper.

100% correct. There are two main brake disc offsets-2.25" and 2.5" as measured from the base of the disc to the outside disc face. The larger offset discs don't need spacers most of the time.

I've been in contact with the marketing manager at Desser, trying to convince them of the need to manufacture their 27.5" Aero Classic to fit a 6" rim. He's unsure of the demand for this size, so they dont think it's worth the price to build the tooling to get set up. If you think you might be interested in this tire, now, or in the future, i encourage you to email him and express your interest. His name is Tim Wong, and he can be reached by email at sales@desser.com

If we pester Desser enough, maybe they'll realize the level of interest that's out there.

I emailed Desser a few weeks ago asking if they had any plans to produce a 26" tire,
built light & smooth like their 850 but a full 26" diameter,
as I think there would be a pretty good market for something like this.
Here's the reply from Tim Wong of Desser:

"Thank you for contacting us.
Right now, we’re going to leave the 26” tundra tire market to Goodyear. We don’t have any plans to make a bigger tundra tire in the 6” rim. HOWEVER…

There is a 10” Grove wheel and brake assembly kit with the 850-10 4PLY tundra tire we just got an STC for the C180/185/206. The kit price comes with wheels, brakes, and a set a 850-10 4 tundra tires for $3995.00. STC is extra from Sea Planes North. 850-10 is roughly a 25” diameter tire. In stock ready to ship."

It just seems wierd to me that they'd concede that portion of the market so easily. Maybe there's a reason?
The 27.5 aero classic, to me, would fill a niche in the market for the guys that dont necessarily need a Bushwheel, but want something softer and larger than a 26" goodyear.

Markets are funny that way - a small enough customer base, and barely any profit, means competitors would lose big time. Take the 8:00x4 market for instance. If you could make a quality tire for $200, it would sell. But you would put Goodyear out of the 8:00x4 market shortly before you filed for bankruptcy.

Pretty easy to concede a very small niche market that they would have to price themselves out of simply to recoup setup costs in less than a 20 year timeline. I suspect it's pretty easy to look at tiny fraction of the GA market that is vintage taildraggers running tires larger than 850x6 and simply say nope and continue making 100% margins on cheaply made 600x6 tires that have universal appeal in the larger market.

Back