• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

New Cub

Atlee Dodge has long steps and fueling steps that clamp on. I haven't seen many Cubs with covered gear so I have no advice for slicing the fabric to install the clamps.
I see no reason why I can't just cut it off, hope its painted underneath, if not, paint it and mount on a step.

This is what you need. Bolt on and can be used on covered gear.
DENNY

Attachments

• IMG_5605.jpg
    IMG_5605.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 207
This is what you need. Bolt on and can be used on covered gear.
DENNY
attachment.php

Denny, I can see this is simple and does get you up there. But how do you maneuver around the leading edge which is 2" forward of the step? What do you hold onto while you're maneuvering with the hose nozzle or a gas can? Where do you place your other foot for support? Unlike a Cessna, the strut is too far aft. I see this step as an accident looking for a place to happen.

My step is close to this one, but welded. Works great with other foot on tire. Your point on hand hold is valid, but once feet are set it’s very stable. I don’t have any ‘extras’ on wing, and it isn’t a problem fore and aft.

The left side fuel step is an excellent add. My current gear uses long steps on both sides offset forward to serve as fuel steps on both sides. I prefer the fuel step. If I was doing Airframes gear again I'd want mid steps and fuel steps on both sides and I'd eliminate the long steps. But there's more than one way to do things.

On 35s a toe step at the lower strut bolt is very worthwhile.

Attachments

• 172580AA-78C1-4F41-BED7-83B1F0173DF6.jpg
    172580AA-78C1-4F41-BED7-83B1F0173DF6.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
I hold on to my ski lifting eyes, other foot is on the bushwheel. On my cub I have a long step on the right and a bolt on similar to this on the left. I prefer the higher bolt on one because it is easier to see into the tank. Most every cub I see has a single fuel step left side. They either weld or bolt on to uncovered gear. This was just a nice way to keep the gear covered. I have a lot harder time fueling the Cessna 180 but I have lifting ring on that too. I can fuel both without a ladder pretty easy, I use a juggle hose with fuel cans or just Bushwheel bag laid on the wing.
DENNY

My Skywagon has a fuel step, a grab handle on top of the boot cowl, and a foot plate on the strut to maintain balance. It's the best fuel step arrangement I know of since it doesn't use the tire. In my case my 29s make a nice platform to get up onto the fuel step.

On a Cub, 35s works great with the added fuel step. One foot on each and you're stable as can be. On smaller tires it's a bit of a balancing act.

Skywagon8
Ya had me thinking for a bit on the two inch forward leading edge. I was set to go down to the hanger and see why it did not seem to bother me that much. Then I looked at the pic in post #28 The leading edge in 3 point is now behind that gear fitting so not that big a deal.
DENNY

Thought id give a little update of what I've been up to, got about 35 hours now in the cub and loving it. Installed a tanis heater, and have new harness seat belts, extended baggage, and safety cable kit on way. Put the skis on today as well and what a blast, Enjoy the photos.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

I would caution against using ratchet straps for tie downs. Rope is much stronger. Beautiful looking cub and skis are about as much fun as you can have in an airplane!!

I would caution against using ratchet straps for tie downs. Rope is much stronger. Beautiful looking cub and skis are about as much fun as you can have in an airplane!!

And if you stick with straps, make sure a twist is in them. They flutter in the wind and wear out without a twist.

It's something I learned from hay-hauling truckers long ago.

come to any conclusions on the belly pod plans? for certified on floats I think airglas is the only option

come to any conclusions on the belly pod plans? for certified on floats I think airglas is the only option

I haven't, im doing some panel work in the spring and that's when ill do it, new panel, led lights, borer, belly pod.... id really like to find one used but they're hard to find, and the 5k+ price tag for me to get them here in Canada is a hard pill to swallow for a piece of fibreglass.

Back