• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Is backcountry flying a sport?

“There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”

- Ernie Hemingway

/QUOTE]

Anyone who can decide to put a rifle in his mouth in the most beautiful part of Idaho and pull the trigger has nothing meaningful to contribute to any conversation between rational people, IMHO.

Is backcountry flying a sport? Skunkum12's definition is the best I ever heard - "I generally consider a sport an activity in which score is kept and there is no effect on the basics of human existence no matter what the outcome is."

“There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”

- Ernie Hemingway

/QUOTE]

Anyone who can decide to put a rifle in his mouth in the most beautiful part of Idaho and pull the trigger has nothing meaningful to contribute to any conversation between rational people, IMHO.”

Well, I think your view is shared by many who have not been affected by a family member or friend with severe mental health issues. I can assure you however that most had plenty to contribute before being overwhelmed by this terrible disease.

- Ernie Hemingway

/QUOTE]

Anyone who can decide to put a rifle in his mouth in the most beautiful part of Idaho and pull the trigger has nothing meaningful to contribute to any conversation between rational people, IMHO.”

Well, I think your view is shared by many who have not been affected by a family member or friend with severe mental health issues. I can assure you however that most had plenty to contribute before being overwhelmed by this terrible disease.

I am humbled by your reply. You are right and I sincerely apologize for my words. Sometimes I get carried away. I hope I did not hurt anyone with what I said.

Absolutely no need to apologize, but thanks. I have no doubt you didn’t mean any harm. I’ve made similar comments myself before I was impacted and had to re-evaluate.

Sport is competition, winners and losers, from Golf to Football (the American kind, not sure what the British kind is, more like a soap opera) So no, backcountry flying is not a sport. STOL competitions, STOL drags etc, maybe.

I have several accounts that require security questions. One is “What’s your favorite hobby?”, and one is “What’s your favorite sport?” Favorite hobby is flying, but I wouldn’t have even considered flying as the answer to my favorite sport. If I were into competition aerobatics, maybe??

Ski flying is definitely a sport! Added bonus workout, when you don't have the luxury of starting from a hangar any time you want to fly and keeping things cleared/swept all season.

For any given 1 hr flight in the dead of winter, I get about a 3-4 hour full body workout (pre-flight/during flight/post flight). Plenty of core exercise involved.. Shoveling/digging, pushing, pulling, squats, ruptured discs/spleens, etc. etc.

Back