• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Baby Bushwheel

The Kid

FOUNDER
Thompson Falls
I just bought a baby bushwheel tail wheel (used). What do I now have to do to get it on my certified super cub legally, exactly?

Call Airframes Alaska and ask them for the paperwork and STC. They will also tell you to find a A&P/ IA to install it and fill out a 337 and send it to the FAA.

Better still, save yourself all that work, get your money back, and keep running the stock wheel.
(on a cub I assume)
less weight, less drag and you won’t loose a bunch of AOA.
Cub tails are too light to benefit from B Bushwheel.
my 2 c on the matter 8)

Better still, save yourself all that work, get your money back, and keep running the stock wheel.
(on a cub I assume)
my 2 c on the matter 8)

Yeah, the stock tailwheel makes an awesome brake when it buries itself on rollout on a soft beach or on Cook Inlet duck flats. But that’s OK cause the tail is light and you can lift it out of the trench it dug and set it off to the side. I personally like my Baby Bushwheel that’s my 5 cents on the matter.��

Does the seller not have the STC paperwork, usually doesn't have an N number written on it. If not call Bushwheel/Airframes and they can sell you te STC. Last I checked it was $50.All depends on your mission, removed my Baby Bushwheel while practicing for a STOL contest. Was a bitch to turn around on the gravel bars. Was glad when the STOL contest was over and I put it back on. For what I like doing with my Super Cub it is the cat's ass.

(on a cub I assume)
my 2 c on the matter 8)

889f7f9253fa33c59a101d95367116a3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would have provided enough drag to require more thrust to taxi but it would look essentially the same. Do it with a heavier plane and it gets worse. Ski season coming soon. Bring on the tail ski discussion!

Last edited:
It would have provided enough drag to require more thrust to taxi but it would look essentially the sane. Do it with a heavier plane and it gets worse. Ski season coming soon. Bring on the tail ski discussion!

One of these days I need to get a tailski. The cubs pretty light after the rebuild and the baby bushwheel has been working. We don't get snow like you guys though

The baby is murder on the airplane in snow. Especially in wet sticky spring conditions. I will be going the 3200/tail ski route this year.

To Skook’s point.
Cub tailwheel mounting system is delicate at best. And all that extra mass banging around on the tail is hard on the airframe anytime of year.
Sure, there’s exceptions using bby busheheel, Greg Miller landing on bowling ball size rocks comes to mind.
Personally, I’ve never landed anywhere in a cub where I’ve regretted leaving bby bushwheel in the hangar.
Once you get over the cool factor, and it does look cool!, Benefits of stock wheel on a cub outweigh bbbw.
Again, my 2c.
Doug

I leave the tail till I can't with no issue. I like being able to taxi around on a gravel or sand bar with the BBW a lot easier than the standard 3200 and I believe it is easier on the tail because it is floating and steering on top instead of dragging sideways in the deep stuff.

I stopped in to visit Will Rediske (RIP) and George N. And got my 185 tail wheel stuck in the Sand and needed the gang to get it out. Bought a new wide set up right after that. It really hits the old airspeed thou.

Big tires are all about reducing rolling resistance. If you aren't having a problem with a skinny tire you won't benefit from a wide one. If you need one? You know it. That's much more true with a Skywagon than a Cub. My 180 sees 600# on the tailwheel when loaded. Dragging that around will make you appreciate easier rolling resistance.

I used to fly a Maule, yes, baby bush wheel was very beneficial, cub not so much.
343359B8-C45B-4C94-AD7F-CF1D073B6D96.jpeg
B2DDBD9F-5255-48BF-928A-ABC141C0305C.jpeg

Attachments

• 343359B8-C45B-4C94-AD7F-CF1D073B6D96.jpeg
    343359B8-C45B-4C94-AD7F-CF1D073B6D96.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 180
  • B2DDBD9F-5255-48BF-928A-ABC141C0305C.jpeg
    B2DDBD9F-5255-48BF-928A-ABC141C0305C.jpeg
    215.7 KB · Views: 182
Worked on the Alaska Peninsula for many years doing guide support and Part 135, the Scott was all we had, back taxing with a load ate up a lot of props. The baby bush wheel sure helped!

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I stopped in to visit Will Rediske (RIP) and George N. And got my 185 tail wheel stuck in the Sand and needed the gang to get it out. Bought a new wide set up right after that. It really hits the old airspeed thou.
Be careful taxing that Twin Bee up on a beach. You just may need a lot of help getting it back in the water. I recall a certain beach on Sebago Lake. 8) It will help if the beach was previously treated with bitumen.

Back