• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Rolls Royce powered J-3

Paul Jackson

PATRON
MN
I was talking to a South African and he mentioned that he has a Rolls powered J-3. While I am sure I will get flamed by the usual suspects here, I had never heard of this.

He noted that Rolls built them under contract and that there are still some around flying around with the badging from the RR build. Attached are a couple of pics.

Go easy SME's I thought it was interesting......

RR1.JPG

RR2.JPG

Attachments

• RR1.JPG
    RR1.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 319
  • RR2.JPG
    RR2.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 290
We had heaps of those here in New Zealand back in the day. Manufactured under licence by Rolls Royce in the UK. They also made IO-240's (which I have seen) and according to the internet IO-360's (which I haven't seen). I think a lot of these engines ended up in the Reims Cessnas licence built in France.

Andrew.

I have seen a couple of the 0200's around here. Anyone know if they have any less value than the Continental's?

/

We had heaps of those here in New Zealand back in the day. Manufactured under licence by Rolls Royce in the UK. They also made IO-240's (which I have seen) and according to the internet IO-360's (which I haven't seen). I think a lot of these engines ended up in the Reims Cessnas licence built in France.

Andrew.

I recall flying a RR O-240 in a French C-150 up to Fenland from Little Gransden UK. I didn't see any power difference, but it seemed like a nice idea. Maybe it was because a C-150 isn't that sporty to start with. (not complaining, every plane has it's own virtues)8)

Rolls-Royce built Conti engines are quite common in Europe. I have the feeling that Rolls-Royce used to serve the European market concerning Conti engines.
The Rolls-Royce engines can be found in nearly every European design (like Bölkow 208, Jodel DR.1050, ...) and Reims built Cessnas. For example there is a 172 Rocket powered by a Rolls-Royce (Conti) IO-360 with 210hp at our airfield.

I am not aware of any difference between Conti and RR built engines except rocker covers and data plate.

Back