• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

B & C 8 amp alternator with EarthX ETX104, Problem Help

Update!
I put a new B & C relay on today and added the led light for battery into instrument panel. I have an EI gage, don't plan on changing that.shopping.png

I had the battery on the charger since yesterday and when I disconnected it, I then checked it with the EI gage it read 13.3 volts.

I also checked the voltage with my handheld voltage meter and it read 14.26 so I am guessing that my handheld one must be off....

I went and flew the airplane for almost 2 hours, the voltage meter read 14.2 volts and was showing .6 to .8 amps of charging at RPM (2500-2600). It was showing almost 6 amps of charge right after I took off but fairly quickly settled into .8 amps soon into the flight. I shut down one time and for the most part was doing take offs and landings most that time so my RPM's varied.

I think I fixed it but probably to soon to celebrate, at this point my money is on a faulty relay that maybe also took out the voltage regulator. I will send them into B & C for warranty and see what they say.

The EarthX Led never flickered once.

Thanks for the advice.

Attachments

• shopping.png
    shopping.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 956
L

Is anyone else running this set-up (little EarthX battery) with the over voltage protection that B&C sells with the 8mp alternator kit.

Thanks, Greg

I had a similar setup when I was hand propping my O-360 SuperCub. The small gear driven B&C 8amp alt and regulator thing, with a very small EarthX battery. Everything has been trouble free, summer or freezing winter.

attachment.php

Update: I finally gave up on that little EarthX ETX 104. I have not had an issue with the B n C 8 amp alternator set-up since I changed out the voltage regulator and relay 15 hours ago.

I was at my dad's property for the weekend and ended up with a low 35" bushwheel and got my little electric inflator. That little battery lasted about 30 seconds before the low voltage light was flashing on the instrument panel. I decide right then that this battery was garbage for my application, I got home and talked to the guy at Earth X. He said based on the conditions it should have lasted for around 30 minutes. I told him I thought the battery was bad and that I wanted to exchange it for the bigger ETX680, just tired of screwing around to save 2.5 pounds. He gave me 120.00 off on the exchange.

Back