• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Another Plane power issue

Stock Cessna systems use a reg that supplies power to the field windings which, in turn, go to ground inside the alternator. So if the field wire was shorted to ground, no power would get to the field windings and there would be no alternator output.

Web

I monitor both volts and amps and have a field switch right beside my master just in case. Have always felt pretty comfortable with it. The old Honda Alt is a Denso.

The typical setup is the field power supply routed from the field breaker, through one pole of a two pole master switch, then out to the reg. This allows you to de energize the field by manually popping the field breaker. It has the highest safety factor because you can isolate the battery and de energize the field with one switch throw. Electricity is always faster than that second switch.

Web

Why would that be? Considering EarthX batteries are for ATV's, UTV's, race cars, motorcycles, sleds (snowmobiles), ...... it would seem they are designed to work with automotive type alternators.

The EarthX TSO limits use to electrical systems with alternators having external regulators. Guess just one more method to isolate the charging source in the event of an over voltage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back