Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Some cool old photos

Post Thanks / Like

Some cool old photos

1920 - 1940This is a black and white photo of an airplane most likely taken from Bristol Airport. (Bristol, Vermont)

It is winter as evident from the snow on the ground. There is a wooden frame building to the right of the photo and a wooden fence located behind the land. There are more planes being stored in the hanger to the right. The propeller on the plane is spinning rapidly. You can see the snow-covered mountains in the background of the picture. On the right side of the wing there is a label that says "NC 1808". All image rights reserved to Henry Sheldon Museum, www.henrysheldonmuseum.org.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LS22390_000_thumb_3.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	267.7 KB 
ID:	51780

Unknown Aircraft, unknown which town. May have been Burlington.

Name:	LS25062_000_thumb_3.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	287.8 KB 
ID:	51781

Date:1929Description:This is a black and white photograph of an airplane pictured at Milton Airport in 1929. The airplane pictured is in an open airfield. There is a man standing in front of the airplane and there is a couple walking toward the plane. There are leafy deciduous trees in the background.

Name:	LS29179_000_thumb_3.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	240.9 KB 
ID:	51782

Date:1939 - 1950Description:The photo shows an aerial view of the airport. Note the road and fence behind the buildings. Lable reads, "Rocky's Flying Service. 1. George Lathrop & Ridley Norton (now Lincoln town garage 2. Admin building 3. Rocks later removed 4 Ezra Dike 5 Rocks hangers now school bus garage." Back indicates that the photo was from World War II or 1950. The view shows 4 small planes and several buildings including perhaps 2 hangers. The field is grassed. Walt Houghton writes on 2010-11-16: I was still landing there as late as 1965-66!

Name:	LS06080_000_thumb_3.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	234.5 KB 
ID:	51783

Date:1939-08-21Description:This image shows Burlington Airport. In the foreground a road runs across the image which is lined by trees, a homestead, and a farm. There are patches of forest and pastures throughout the image. In the middle of the image, the runway of the airport is visible which is in the shape of a cross. There is a small hanger to the left of the runway. In the distance there are more fields and forest patches along with some small hills. All image rights reserved to Henry Sheldon Museum, www.henrysheldonmuseum.org.

Name:	LS16534_000_thumb_3.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	289.8 KB 
ID:	51784

Name:	LS16535_000_thumb_3.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	286.6 KB 
ID:	51789
    Last edited by Farmboy; 10-20-2020 at 08:42 PM.
    Likes Hardtailjohn, 105 Special liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Date:1932 - 1940
    Description:This is a black and white photo of a view of airplanes, parked in the snow, in Vermont. To the left side of photo there is a small brick building. There are a few automobiles to the right side of the brick building. There is a man standing in the front of the brick building and on top of the brick building is some sort of metal broadcast tower. Behind the building is a cemetery, lined by coniferous and bare deciduous trees. The airplanes are relatively large and there are stars on the wings. Snow blankets the ground around the airplanes. All image rights reserved to Henry Sheldon Museum, www.henrysheldonmuseum.org. Walt Houghton writes on 2010-11-16: Aircraft is a military Martin B-10 bomber at Burlington

Name:	LS25065_000_thumb_3.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	300.1 KB 
ID:	51787
    Likes Hardtailjohn, 105 Special liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Bristol Airport - Winter obviously.

This photo tells tales - look at the heaters, and the open cockpits...

Name:	LS25068_000_thumb_3.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	308.4 KB 
ID:	51788
    Likes Bearhawk Builder, Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    In post #3, the three aircraft on the left are Boeing P-26's.

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.
    Likes Farmboy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Another P-26 shot. January in Vermont.

Name:	LS25064_000_thumb_3.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	182.9 KB 
ID:	51790

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers...

Post Thanks / Like
    ....on top of the brick building is some sort of metal broadcast tower.

That is a rotating green and white beacon to mark the airport at night.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool photos. Does anyone know what aircraft is on the first photo? Looks a bit like a Cub with a 5-cylinder radial...

Post Thanks / Like
    1st picture looks like a Rearwin Sportster, though the registration number is for a Travel Air 2000 biplane.

My father worked for Joe Rock, owner of the Bristol airport in the mid 50's. Took all his pilot training there and became an instructor and A&P. My parents and I lived in a trailer parked between the two hangars in the 4th photo until I was 3 years old. We then moved to Middlebury where Dad worked for Al Quensel? Crop dusting in Stearmans and as a mechanic.
    Likes skywagon8a, Farmboy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The large airplane in the photos is a Martin B-10. The biplane is a Hispano Suiza powered Curtiss JN-4H "Jenny".
    Last edited by Waldo M; 10-21-2020 at 11:54 AM. Reason: added info

Post Thanks / Like
    Here’s a couple fun ones, at least for me reading my dads responses to them. My grandfathers farm was 1/2 mile from the original “Twin States” airport in Hartford (White River Jct) Vermont. It later moved across the river and became Lebanon Airport KLEB.

————

Town:
    Hartford
    County:
    Windsor
    State:
    Vermont
    Date:
    Description:
    This is a black and white photograph taken on a sunny fall day in 1937 of Amelia Earhart and a man standing in front of what is presumably her airplane. There is another man standing behind the plane. The plane has a propeller on the nose and a propeller beneath each wing. Ms. Earhart is wearing a dress, and the man is wearing a suit, hat, and long coat. The plane is in an open, grassy field surrounded by trees in the distance. There is also a house and 6+ automobiles in the distance. Tom Hildreth-American Aviation Historical Society writes on 2008-08-06: The aircraft in the photo is likely a Stinson SM-600. Sylvia Bugbee writes on 2012-05-1 Happened to notice that the Amelia Earhart photos for her 1937 tour through Vermont cite a Bugbee airport: the correct title would be the Twin State Airport. My father and grandfather owned and operated it, and there was a Bugbee Flying Service there that trained pilots to fly.

Name:	LS13302_000_thumb_3.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	113.3 KB 
ID:	51803

Reply from my Dad:

Would you believe I had my first plane ride with Bugbee and went to school with his daughter. His mother was our family doctor, back in the day. Dad

Description:
    This is a black and white photograph of Amelia Earhart with a little girl (Susan Wright), the wing of her plane, and eight men in the background at the White River Junction Airport. Ms. Earhart is wearing a hat and dress, holding flowers, and is crouched next to the girl. The girl is wearing a dress, hat, and long winter coat. The men in the background are wearing fedoras, suits, ties, and long jackets. They are all in a field sparsely covered with patchy grass. There is a house in the background, and it is a sunny day. Most of the people in the image are smiling.

Name:	LS13300_000_thumb_3.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	174.2 KB 
ID:	51804

Response from my dad :

House , my ass, that's a hanger. There were 2, side by side facing North. One was used as a shop and the other( one with the cupalo was for storing airplanes) Dad

Date:
    1953-06-22
    Description:
    This is a black and white photograph of the back of an airplane in a grassy field. The plane says USAF on the right wing, and there's a star on the left wing and rear of the plane. There are 8+ people standing around the plane, and there is an automobile near the plane. The plane has landed oddly (maybe emergency) as there is no tarmac or runway nearby. There are rolling hills and large deciduous trees behind the plane; in appears to be summer. Brian Lindner writes on 2009-02-26: "This was June 22, 1953. The plane was a C-47D serial number 43-16371. Captain N.H. Lebish thought he was landing in Lebanon, NH but mistakenly landed at an abandoned WWI airport in White River Junction. The plane was disassembled and removed."

Name:	LS13299_000_thumb_3.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	162.9 KB 
ID:	51805

Response from my dad:

Now the rest of the story! I was there and saw the plane land next to me. ( I was raking hay) The plane went off the East end of the runway and into a sandy area where it went up on it's nose and damaged both props. They towed it back to the North end of the field where it set all summer long while they replaced both engines. Then flew it out. I was there for that also. Dad

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers...
    Likes skywagon8a liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    This is most likely one of Boston and Maine Airways's (Later Northeast Airlines) Stinsons. Amelia Earhart was a spokesperson for them.

One of my early flights on the DC-6 was with LLoyd Spinney. Lloyd started as a mechanic. He told me when Northeast retired the Stinsons, they were cut up and taken to the dump. What a tragic end.
    N1PA